• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dissolving Devcon

Teleos

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
Michigan
I tried bedding for the first time and ended up with a guard screw stuck in it's pillar. It's a headless screw from Score-Hi and actually cracked at the head somehow. I was wondering if anyone knew of any compound that can dissolve Devcon once it's hardened.

Re: Dissolving Devcon

I would try some penetrating oil first. If that doesn't work then some heat right on the screw head (soldering iron).

I don't know of anything that will dissolve Devcon and not the stock it's in.

Looks like Devcon does not like Acetone or Methyl ethyl ketone

Devcon Technical Data

Did you manage to get the action out of the stock at least?

If so I would soak it in a bucket of Acetone and see if it comes loose.

Don't feel bad I had a similar experience on a Sunday afternoon that involved a bottle of Jim Beam, a rifle and some epoxy. Bad idea is all I have to say about that...

Touch the screw with the tip of a good soldering iron. If you can get the screw hot enough the bedding will soften up and the screw will push out.

Thing is, it's still threaded into the action, it protrudes into the chamber. The rear screw came out of the action but now is just spinning in the stock. The front screw isn't budging. The headless screws that came with the pillars have a wide band around the middle that braces against a shelf in the pillar. I think epoxy flowed around the bottom when i replaced the trigger guard and formed a mechanical lock around the front? The rear of the trigger guard and tang of the action peel away from the stock about a quarter inch each (or I should say the stock peels away from the action) but around the front screw only the trigger guard moves, and just a tiny bit.

Honestly, this stock was always gonna be a throwaway. I've pretty much mutilated it with my dremel trying to see what I can do. I've been looking to pick up a mitre saw for some woodworking, so I might try that if all else fails. Anyone have any suggestions for cutting out the screws? Is there a way I can use a drill press to remove the stripped screw somehow?

Of course, if anyone wants a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with 150 rounds through it for $350, that's make my life much easier. Barreled action, trigger and Burris bases are still good.

Well then get to cutting. If you have created mechanical locks throughout the stock you are pretty much stuck with cutting the stock off.

If you had a mill you could mill down through the screw and stock until you reach the action then it should come loose.

I'd go $250 for it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go $250 for it
smile.gif
</div></div>

$250.99...and that's my final offer
grin.gif

I foresee stock cutting in your future. At least you now know the necessity of liberal amounts of the correct release agent...everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I foresee stock cutting in your future. At least you now know the necessity of liberal amounts of the correct release agent...everywhere. </div></div>

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the silicone spray for everything but the part of the action that's making contact; I'll use Kiwi's shoe polish again for that. Biggest lesson is to have every single thing laid out, so you don't end up running around looking for a quick dose of release agent for a part you missed. I rushed the whole process in general, big mistake.

OK Teleos I have been thinking about this one and may have a solution for you.

First you are going to have to get the bottom metal loose and remove it completely from the stock. You have it moving already so it should break free with some fidgeting. Be patient, keep working at it and resist the temptation to take a sledge hammer to it
mad.gif

Go to Napa or some other store that sells steel tubing or stainless steel tubing. Buy a piece that will just fit over the Allen head of the bedding stud and at the same time fit just inside of the Score High pillar that you installed.

With a file or a Dremel tool cut teeth into the end of the tubing to make a hole saw.

18298.jpg

You should be able to cut through the Devcon down to the shoulder that is machined into the stud and break the mechanical lock that formed inside of the pillar.

Next get a new pair of small Vice Grip pliers and clamp them down on the head of the stud that is protruding from the pillar and turn it out.

Give this a shot and let us know how it turns out for you.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course, if anyone wants a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with 150 rounds through it for $350, that's make my life much easier. Barreled action, trigger and Burris bases are still good. </div></div>

I am sure you can salvage it, but if you seriously want to sell it, let me know.

EUREKA!!!

I took some visegrips to the front screw and it came out fine. Turns out there were mechanical locks that had to be broke inside the pillars. Everything looks alright, except for the trigger guard, which I scratched up pretty badly trying to remove.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EUREKA!!!

I took some visegrips to the front screw and it came out fine. Turns out there were mechanical locks that had to be broke inside the pillars. Everything looks alright, except for the trigger guard, which I scratched up pretty badly trying to remove.

Thanks for all the suggestions. </div></div>

Is the trigger gaurd steel or aluminum?

I'll say one thing: If you use the Score-Hi adjustable pillar kit, make sure you don't let epoxy flow outside the pillars and fill the inside of them. The screws they give you have got a shelf that make extracting them tough. Of course, if they screw didn't split open lengthwise about a 1/4", I could have still gotten them out without any serious issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teleos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The factory aluminum. </div></div>

Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, or even a black Sharpie should fix those scratches right up.