• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Distance thermal vs NV

Alaskashooter

Lead Slinger
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
Between the two which one can be used at the furthest distance? Clip on systems is what I'm looking at. Current consideration was the armasight co-LR GHOST. But noticed there was an xlr ghost now and I know zilch about thermals. Mostly engaging steel as far as possible.

I'd say 800 meters is about the limit for either ... assuming nato-e sized silhouettes ... you can heat the steel with a propane torch so the thermal can see it but need to mount in such that it can be heated without hurting the mount. And depending on conditions, you might need to mark the steel with an ir-beacon or strobe for the i2 ...

But there are very few thermal clipons which can support much magnification beyond 4x ...

Right now, the availability and pricing of the refurb PVS-30s on the market seems to trump the CO-LRs ...

Thermal clipon that support > 4x

N-VIsion TC50 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1187777-REG/n_vision_tc50_thermal_clip_on_sight.html $11k

FLIR T-75 https://nightvisionuniverse.com/pro...thermal-weapon-sight-rifle-scope-640x512-30hz $17k

BAE UTC-x http://www.baesystems.com/en-us/product/oasys-thermal-imaging-and-aiming

Note, the above are rarely in stock, due to high cost and finding one can be a long process ...

==
Whereas finding a PVS-30 refurb should be fairly easy ... they've been going for around $5k plus or minus a few hundred ... and have been discussed on here a lot this year.

==
Short answer is, faster, easier and less cost to go with i2 clipon for banging steel at night at some distance ...

For banging long range steel at night I would choose NV over thermal any day of the week, and that is coming from a guy who owns an AN/PAS-13G LWTS clip-on thermal. Thermal really excels at shooting living targets rather than inanimate ones. I have been using a PVS-14 for this for a LONG time, and am considering a PVS-30 at this point.

With I2/NV paint those steel targets black. They will stand out/contrast better against dirt/foliage.
I keep 1 side painted white for daylight, the other painted black for night.

The short answer is, you will 'be fine' with either since you simply want to shoot at steel plates. However I would go with NV (if you could only pick one) as you will already have a basic idea of where the plate is as well as being able to incorporate a spotter who is also using NV and IR equipment into the equation.

If you are not just shooting steel as well as need to be able to detect/identify a target as well as then communicate its location to others, set up a solution on the target and then have the ability to have a spotter call hits, it's a totally different story.

Get a PVS30, PEQ15 or PEQ2A and go to work.

I tried a CO-LR, I thought it was terrible bad enough that I sent it back and paid a restocking fee. I got the highest model Armasight sold, got the L3 unfilmed WP tube and even did a hand pick on the tube. The tubes specs were impressive PC 2722, S/N 33.1, Halo 0.7, EBI 1.0, Res 72. Armasight was great to deal with overall I just didn't like the product. Resolution was the issue and not having enough of it to confirm a clear back drop and send live fire downrange on the public BLM & N.F. lands I shoot on. Gaining a clear enough image for target ID was also difficult due a low resolution of the image presented in the scope. I did try the CO-LR with two of my day optics a Kahles 624i and a Leupold VX6 3-18X44 neither was more helpful than the other. I also tried the CO-LR in the daytime with the front cap on as instructed by Armasight to see if it would help, it didn't I've limited experience with with clip-on NV as it's limited to my time with the CO-LR yet I believe that the reason for my issues was the technology not the specific tube, or the CO-LR. Due to my experience with the CO-LR I've adopted the opinion that when you put a day optic behind an NV scope and then zoom in with the day optic your zooming in on the back of the MCP and resolution seems to suffer. It's because of this that I would call the CO-LR a 400-600 yard optic not a 1,000 yard scope as advertised. I do not notice the same issue when I've my PVS14 behind my scope for viewing, resolution is much better however an illuminator is required. I've since given up on a true long range night optic and would not buy another NV clip on without the opportunity to try it proir to buying.

Last edited: