• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Distance Vs. 100 yard groups

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
I just got home from shooting, started out with long distance. After I shot the long distance I tried a 100 yard group, could not group to save my life. With the long distance I smacked rocks a 800 yards (Don't have my steel plate yet). Well my question is do you guys shoot groups first or distance and groups on different days?

Re: Distance Vs. 100 yard groups

The only reason I will shoot a group now is to zero or confirm zero after pulling things down for cleaning.

It's all about target ID, lase, dope, dial / hold and engage... Repeat as nessecary.

UKD and movers. Don't waste ammo.

IF I can't drive the 2 hours to 1000yards to bang steel. I'll drive 20 miles and shoot groups at 300yards. I haven't shot at 100 yards for almost 5 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Single well aimed shots. </div></div>

+1... The only time I shoot groups is for load development.

I only shoot groups for
1) work up a load
2) confirm my zero.

Ammo is expensive why waste it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot groups for
1) work up a load
2) confirm my zero.

</div></div>

I couldn't agree more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot groups for
1) work up a load
2) confirm my zero.

</div></div>

+1 again

Although in response to your un-impressive performance going from long range to short range, did you adjust your parallax between distances?

100 yard shooting is not nearly as demanding as 1000 yard shooting; therefore, if ya can't put em all in one hole at 100 it's not likely things will get better at 1000. That's one reason I indeed do most of my practice for 1000 yard events at the 100 yard line. Once I have convinced myself that my basic marksmanship is competitive, as evidenced by close to one hole 20 round strings of fire, I can go into an LR event with confidence, that if I can get the wind right, I might actually be able to win the thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DesertHK said:
I only shoot groups for
1) work up a load
2) confirm my zero.

</div></div>

+1

Although in response to your un-impressive performance going from long range to short range, did you adjust your parallax between distances?

And another +1 to that

We shoot mostly long range out to a 1000yds, so I like to start off by shooting a cold bore shot at 700, 900, or a 1000. After that if were hitting I wont bother at shorter ranges. At the end of the day I'll finish up with a single round or maybe a 3 shot group to confirm my 100 yard zero, this way when I shoot next time I know I'm zeroed.