• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Distracted

C.Hazelton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2008
Minnesota
Well, I'm sitting here watching marine-tex dry, when it dawns on me that I did not tape the front, sides, and bottom of my lug. My fault, I've bedded lots but the neighbor wanted to watch and I was trying to time this so I am not up til midnight. What do you guys think? Relieve it later, just run it, or grind it out and start over? Nothing I can do right now. Where ever you are, be all there. Thanks for the help.

Re: Distracted

Some guys bed that way all the time. Run with it and see what happens. If it gives you problems that you think this is the cause relive it later.

My Dad used to say "Be here NOW". Don't be daydreaming when you're trying to work.

FWIW...i HAVE BEDDED ONE MYSELF AND ONLY TAPPED THE FRONT AND IT HAS BEEN FINE, SEEMS LIKE I HAVE READ A POST SOMWHERE THAT SOME FELT THAT IT WAS DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF GIVING THE LUG WIGGLE ROOM, PURPOSE OF BEDDING IS TO HAVE A TIGHT MATING BETWEEN STOCK AND ACTION.
I AM NOT SURE WHAT DIFFERENCE IT WOULD MAKE BUT AGGREE TO RUN WITH IT AND ADJUST IF NECESSARY...WE ALL KNOW THAT EVERY RIFLE HAS ITS OWN "SWEET SPOT"

Steven

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW...i HAVE BEDDED ONE MYSELF AND ONLY TAPPED THE FRONT AND IT HAS BEEN FINE, SEEMS LIKE I HAVE READ A POST SOMWHERE THAT SOME FELT THAT IT WAS DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF GIVING THE LUG WIGGLE ROOM, PURPOSE OF BEDDING IS TO HAVE A TIGHT MATING BETWEEN STOCK AND ACTION.
I AM NOT SURE WHAT DIFFERENCE IT WOULD MAKE BUT AGGREE TO RUN WITH IT AND ADJUST IF NECESSARY...WE ALL KNOW THAT EVERY RIFLE HAS ITS OWN "SWEET SPOT"

Steven </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">TrY tUrNiNg ThE cApS lOcK oFf.....</span>

I had the tape slip a little on my lug, it still shoots nice,
I smoothed the front very lightly to make it easier to install..... FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CVH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've bedded lots but the neighbor wanted to watch</div></div>

Isn't it crazy how having someone watching can throw off your mindset so much?

I have several that were bedded using only release agent on the lug and they are fine.I agree,run with it. Pete