• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ditch my X-mark trigger in my 700P?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
What do you guys with 700P rifles recommend? It's definitely the lightest trigger that I have, but if I can get lighter and still stay safe...

I plan to go out to 1000yds with my 700P. Anyone still use their X-mark out to 1k?

Re: Ditch my X-mark trigger in my 700P?

If you want lighter and safe, look at a Jewell. You have to keep it clean though

Leave it you don't need a super light trigger just a predictable clean breaking one.

I hated my X-mark trigger. Over time it seemed to get heavier and heavier to pull. Got a Timney 510 and love it.

i had a first gen x-mark with a little bit of tinkering you can get them way down but you can also make them discharge when you close the bolt too

If you get properly behind the rifle and get a consistant pull of 3-7 lb, you will shoot better. Have more control of the rifle, better on movers, esp. movers in areas where the target is in and out of sight. The too light trigger is a gimmic. If you are having trouble pulling a trigger, do some hand strengthing exercises. Most I see that want them are trying to get away from the rifle, when you should be trying to get closer to it. JMO
RTH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if I can get lighter and still stay safe... </div></div>

Why do you think you need a lighter trigger?

A 3-3.5 lb trigger is perfectly adequate for a tactical rifle.

The X-Mark is not my favorite trigger, but it's acceptable.

If you want to spend money, sure, get a new trigger. If not... buy something else. I've been looking at some for my 700 as well, the Timney or Jewel are the only ones I personally will spend money on. Had some bad experiences with Basix triggers (safety issues and non-firing pin engagement).

much bandwidth has been spent on this subject.....

stuff that has won matches and has remained consistant over the years for most....is either a tweeked stock remmy trigger....or a jewel.....but now i mostly drink cheap beer.

like all the others said knowledge of the platform is paramount its not just sbout having a light trigger
not that I wouldnt want to upgrade ..
but After mine was lightened
I really dont think ill swap it out. it performs better than I can on most days .

I adjusted the x-mark on my 700 to a repeatable 2.5 pounds. Not saying that it's safe for daily use or hunting, carrying around, or rolling in the back of the truck. But it is consistent, and I'm shooting paper.

Take care when doing the adjustment, and check to be sure that running the bolt won't set off the trigger. I initially adjusted mine too low, and running the bolt would result in the trigger tripping. It's not terribly difficult to do, but be careful that you're not taking it too low to where it's unsafe.

In my opinion (you know what they're like....) stick with a tuned x-mark on a factory rifle, and an aftermarket trigger on a custom piece. I think that there are areas to make improvements on a factory rifle, and the trigger, while important, isn't the first place I'd look to spend money.

I had a Jewell in an AR15 build I did a while back and I loved the take up on it before it would engage the sear and then break.

Im looking to get a Jackson Tactical for my 700 when the time comes...

If that doesnt work out, maybe a Jewell.

Im happy with the xmark for the time being altho im sure if i had a better trigger in it i wouldnt want to look back

Jewell all that needs to be said here...