• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Divorce help

Re: Divorce help

You need to get to JAG. I realize this may mean going to another FOB or something but it is imperative you get to JAG where they can brief you on your rights and her rights.

You will also need to secure civilian counsel as JAG will not represent you in a divorce. They will merely inform you of your rights and responsibilities to her and your son.

Definitely look into one of those Father's Rights law firms.

Good luck

Agreed on seeking advice.

From JimTanker on board here and from several friends here in the Navy town I live in - NO she cannot divorce you while you are on deployment.

You have that going for you.

You got all the "legal advice" you can get off this forum....GO TO JAG and talk to them. NOONE should be giving you more "advice" than that. I practice domestic law and I aint about to say more than that, if I did, well, it wouldnt be a good idea, so any "first handers" out there, need to keep their yap shut so they dont screw you over.

Get to JAG bro and then get your LOCAL counsel where son and wife are on board. Good luck, and stay safe while over there.

John

When I divorced. JAG would not give advice on divorce, because at that time, The ARMY did not approve of divorce. Don't know if it is still that way, but I would suggest going to a civilian lawyer that specializes in divorce.

Thank you for the help guys. I will be contacting JAG and looking for a civilian lawyer.

You would have to have some serious problems for the court to not allow you to see your child. As in felony convictions but that is about it. All courts recognize fathers rights in this day and age. Your biggest concern is to always assume your conversations are being taped. Your best bet is if this is going to be a done deal (no chance for reconciliation) than you should limit your conversations to her and don't say anything bad about the mother no matter how much you want to. To anyone. If you have the ability to tape conversations do it and tell no one. She will try and provoke you into fighting. Don't fall for it. Be polite and calm no matter how you feel. Remember fighting will NEVER work out for you, ever. Many states don't count infidelity as grounds for divorce so don't get into it as it does not matter. All courts will ONLY care about the welfare and what is best for the child. You should concentrate on that as your primary role other than being a soldier. No matter how bad she may bang on you by using your son he will remember everything in his later years and you being the strong one will pay you in aces.

Good advice Mechanic!! Whatever you do even though you are already under a lot of stress don't lose your cool. And take Mudcat's advice for sure. That is straight from the horses mouth.

And for God's sake try your best not to let it distract your focus and your personal safety while over there. I know it's easier said and done, but you wanna make it back safe to see your son.

Good luck to you

Take my word for it. The pain of this WILL be less and less every year. If you need some additional help don't hesitate to PM me. I can not give legal advise but I have more hands on experience with this than 90% of the divorce attorneys out there.

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 8pt">kill her</span></span>

While I've never gone through a divorce (I've been smart enough to avoid marriage
smile.gif
) I'll pass along a piece of advice I often hear from a friend who went through a divorce (and who is also former Marine Corps Intelligence and Private Investigator) -

When meeting with her, always make sure to do so in a public location WITH SECURITY CAMERAS!!! That way, she can't come up with some B.S. "He tried to hit me..." without 3rd party video proof to the contrary. It only takes a bullsh*t accusation of "domestic violence" and your life can/will be permanently altered.

Seen this too many times to too many young sailors.

Check w/ the JAG at your FOB or wherever and find out if you use military resources in country if it prevents her from using them in CONUS. There is a conflict of interest for military lawyers but I can't remember the specifics. One of my sailors delayed seeing JAG and the Navy JAG was unable to assist him even w/ legal counseling let alone representation because she got there first. He had to pay for a civilian lawyer $$$$$$$$$.

Heed well the advice when it comes to confronting her (ie: do it in public with someone videoing).

Watch your texting, e-mail, Facebook etc. MAKE NO COMMENT!! Better yet cancel all accounts and retain the e-mail that says you did (time and date) just in case your pass word is compromised. Make a dedicated e-mail for communicating w/ her.

For money, CC's, loans, mortgage, property etc. seek legal council to determine what you can and cannot do. Remember YOU are probably responsible for the payment of any debt and it would be wise to ensure that the bills are not in arrears.

Good Luck!!! Keep your head in the game and let the legal beagles do their jobs for you.

Cheers,

Doc

Call every law firm in a 60 mile radius for advice/council. After advice is given, and you record the conversations with the firms, you are good to go. They then can not offer her advicex nor represent her, because of conflict of interest.
wink.gif

Hasgun is correct that works if you want to take away the good lawyer options. I'm an attorney pm me if you need anything or just want to ask 'can she do that'
I agree get local counsel and talk to jag they have a packett that explains your options. I volunteer on our local bar associations cmmte to assist local soldiers sailors airmen and marines with similar issues so I have experience in the area. So if you Want to chat feel free, stay safe
--woody

You are protected under the Jones act. My ex did this to me when i was in the USMM i called a lawyer and protected me from any more legal action until i got back into port.She only got what was hers and nothing else.