• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diy annealer. Help

221fb

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2022
Sweden
Hello. I am new here but see that there is a lot of knowledge and threads regarding Induction annealers. I have just started building an induction annealer. the problem is that the fuse breaks immediately. I have used different coils and also tried without any coil. I supply ZVS board with 36v 600W power supply. i know zvs is 1000w max but i did some research and realize that with the spirals i have it should not end up at more than 300-500w. I may be wrong out there but I do not understand why the fuse breaks immediately. short circuit in zvs board? thanks

We need more information about your circuit. Can you post a circuit diagram?
Here are some ideas: Your 36 volt power supply should be turned on before applying it to the ZVX board. Many people use a relay, and some use a solid state relay. How are you applying the 36 volts to the ZVS board? (Power should not be applied to the ZVS board without a coil in place.)
What are the dimensions of your coil; how many turns and diameter of the tube or wire in your coil?

I Will reply with all that when im back home later today. First try coil is solid ø3mm 8 turns about 1mm space between turns. ZVS turns on by a delay relay cutting power from the negative side. Give you more info/diagram later today. Thanks

Sounds like you have a wiring/electronics fault. Did you build the ZVS yourself or buy one off of Amazon/Ebay?

Definitely need to check to make sure everything is wired correctly. To pull more than your PSU rating from the wall (you're in Sweden?) makes me think your PSU may be faulty. Generally, you can't pull more than it's ability.... if you're tripping a breaker, that would be over 2300W right? Or your breaker is bad.

//edit, just realized I necro'd this post. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 221fb
I forgot to update this post! The problem was that my ZVS board was bad from the beginning. Now after a ton of know how in this segment I know that the chinese zvs boards are not the most perfect ones. I have now build 3 Induction annealers that works. The key is to get good components and have a lot of cooling. Secound issue was the solid state relay. It gets hot and then you have amp loss(watt loss, not consistent results). With the SSR 100Amp and a heatsink I never see any inconsistant results. I only pull 15A max in the circut. But overpower everything and you be good to go. I have now zero problem to anneal watherver brass I feel to.

If someone has issue with building an induction annealer I can help with that. I have faild alot, most is bad components and overheating. I can calculate the KHZ on coils if someone want that. The key is to get between 80-130khz in my opinion. Time and AMP makes the results. High amp=short annealtime ofc.