• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DIY AR10 trigger install?

dusty1025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2009
southwest PA
Are they really that complicated? I'm going to buy a single stage JP and they offer their trigger/hammer/anti-walk pins installed with return shipping for $220. I'm thinking about doing the install myself, but i've heard it is fairly complicated.

I've done lots of trigger work on my collection of Ruger Mk II pistols, which are also know to be slightly complicated. I've never done an AR so I don't know how they compare.
Can it be done with average skills, basic tools and without prior experience?

Also are there any online videos or other good online references?

Re: DIY AR10 trigger install?

I put a JP speed hammer in my LR308. The JP came with good instructions and it wasn't hard at all. Just take your time, read the directions over and follow them.

The trigger is painless to install. The only issue you may run into which would require attention is the safety engagement.

Depending on how you set the trigger's angle, relative to the floor of the FCG well of the receiver, will determine whether or not you will have to remove material from the rear of the trigger bar for full rotation of the safety.

If that sounds confusing, it really won't be once you are looking at the trigger sitting in the receiver.

would the removal of material from the trigger bar be more than can be done with a file, stone or grinder, I don't have a mill.

File or stone will do just fine.

Remove only as much as is needed for the safety to rotate fully without binding. File slightly, test fit, file, test fit, etc...

Time consuming because you have to fully assemble the trigger in the lower to test for fit/function, but worth it in the long run when it is set up properly.

sounds good I think I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the help guys
cheers
Dusty

It's been a few years since the last time I ordered a new JP, but it came with a DVD. I don't know what's on the DVD as I never watched it, but it could be video instructions.

Print instructions included with the trigger should suffice if you're mechanically inclined enough to have worked on your MkII's.

At least you know what you're in for prior to jumping.

Let us know how it works out.

In my experience you would be much happier with a jewel for that price or even the cheaper giessle for $170ish. Unless you areset on a single stage.

there are many net videos on the installation of an AR trigger. I have done a couple now after watching the videos and it was relatively easy. I have installed three Geissele trigger's on my AR's and found it to be easy for a Novice like me. So, do it yourself.