• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DIY ARC Xylo cheek piece

Johnald

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2021
UPA
I’ll begin by saying I love my ARC xylos. Love em to death. The biggest drawback for me, however, was the cheek piece. While I do love the design simplicity and adjustability, the flat metal with only a thin rubber cover wasn’t my favorite feature, so I attempted to improve on this myself.
I started by buying 2 inch diameter half round aluminum barstock from an online metal supply store and milling channels to facilitate the attachment screws and seating on the cheek riser.
I’ve attached a picture of the end result. I think it feels night-and-day better than the original and isn’t horrible to look at either. Another great benefit is that it is ambidextrous. I let my daughter shoot my 22 trainer, I’m a lefty, she’s a righty, so every time I switch it back I have to change the cheekpiece over. This is probably not a common complaint, but I still think being ambi is a nice bonus. Im also in the process of designing a cheek pad that can be attached with Velcro straps, and in the meantime I am looking for a place that can anodized the aluminum for me (I just rattle canned it black to see what it would look like).

****Any suggestions on a company who can help with small batch anodizing would be appreciated.****

Unfortunately it’s just not worth my time to produce any more of these for sale on the PX (plus I don’t have a vendor account), however if anyone is interested I’ll happily share the dimensions I used and more pics so you can make them at home.
A friend of mine did suggest building them out of wood which could be a lot easier for those at home who don’t have access to a milling machine. There are some companies I found online who do produce custom order dowels and could spin up a 2” dowel out of whatever species wood you want. You could probably get smaller diameter pieces ready-made, but I think less than 2” diameter runs the risk of being pretty uncomfortable. Either way, it’s a pretty good idea given the Xylo name and it’s current wood grip.
Anyway, just thought I’d share. This will be my first contribution to the hide, hope it helps someone who felt the same about their xylo.

Attachments

• 51A49A13-AAE6-4C6F-8897-CFC7B75F4281.jpeg
    51A49A13-AAE6-4C6F-8897-CFC7B75F4281.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 181
  • AEB2016E-4EFA-4A59-9A72-0555EAB96DA3.jpeg
    AEB2016E-4EFA-4A59-9A72-0555EAB96DA3.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 817CA3C7-ED81-4678-B28B-CE14BB14847C.jpeg
    817CA3C7-ED81-4678-B28B-CE14BB14847C.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: thelaststraw
I like it. I may give that a shot with some walnut to match the grip. I'm not a master wordsmith but Im half decent with a router.

Reactions: Kirk70
I don’t like the Xylo cheek piece because you can’t remove the bolt without moving it down. Some other chassis have a clearance cut for this.

Are you still able to fit a rod guide/cleaning rod without removing your cheek piece? It looks like it may be taller than the stock design.

The Xylo has one of the easiest to adjust cheek pieces. Use a paint pen to mark where is was then lower it as needed.

Reactions: Halfnutz
I haven’t tried to clean it yet with the cheek piece on, but I am able to remove the bolt. Action is an archimedes.
Ill give it a look tonight. There’s still a lot of room to make clearance cuts that could allow the cheek piece to be lowered for cleaning if it isn’t low enough already.
As far as anodizing, I got a quote: about $115 to type 3 anodize the two pieces. This is the minimum rack price for small orders. Still, ouch.

Ooofff.... Seems a bit high to me but I know very little about the process. Are there a lot of consumables involved in the process from lot to lot other than vat(s) of chemicals/solutions?

I think if I find the cheek piece uncomfortable the walnut will be employed. I don't have my chassis in hand yet but will know next week.

I think the cost is more based on the ass pain of them having to run an entire rack for 2 small parts. Im Looking for other aluminum stuff to have anodized to help make the cost worth it.

I don’t like the Xylo cheek piece because you can’t remove the bolt without moving it down. Some other chassis have a clearance cut for this.

Are you still able to fit a rod guide/cleaning rod without removing your cheek piece? It looks like it may be taller than the stock design.
Looks like the clearance is just enough to get a rod through, but the rod will be flexed the whole time. I think I’m going to mill it out a little more the facilitate clearance that is more in line with the original. Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll try to update this later when I get it anodized and have a cheek pad made.

Reactions: mjbaker22
1DCEB260-B26E-4F30-A91B-3B8E0E4B64C6.jpeg
7161F117-AF0D-42F2-B648-5EEC6E71D076.jpeg

Neoprene cover. Secured by Velcro on the bottom flat portion and 2 Velcro straps at the ends. I’m gonna say it’s good enough. The feel is much better to me than the original, but I’ll have to send some rounds before I can know for sure.

Reactions: BenW