• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DIY bolt knob

z28kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Middle TN
I decided I want to do a oversize bolt knob on my 700 and I jumped the gun a bit and started cutting off the factory knob before I ordered the new oversized knob.

It might be a while I was told for the bolt knob to be ready to be shipped and I NEED to shoot so... time to fab up one.

Bolt in a zip lock bag and wrapped in electrical tape to minimize debris.
downsized_0110121319a.jpg

Bolt knob ground off, left a little meat on it so I can blend it later.
downsized_0110121412.jpg

The chunk of aluminum I stole from a old punch that will be the new knob.
0111120947.jpg

Its a bad picture but its threaded to 5/16x24
downsized_0111121300.jpg

Here comes the fun part, when I cut the aluminum off with the hack saw it wasnt a very straight cut.
So I took it over to the big belt sander I have and was going to even it up and start putting the taper on it like a tactical bolt knob.
Well, after doing that a little while and setting it in cool water I realized I wasnt getting anywhere.
so I took it over to the drill press and drilled a hole in it and tapped it.

Test fit= looks like garbage.
downsized_0111121309.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come. Sorry about the one pic being bigger, not sure whats up with that.

TJ

Re: DIY bolt knob

A lathe would have been really nice, we just sold the one we had because it was never used.

I wouldn't have cared to send it to a smith, but since I lost my job I cant afford to. I already have all my tools laying there not being used so I decided I could tackle this.
After I get this done maybe I can get some work done on that subframe.

TJ

As I said earlier, a lathe would have been nice.
Since the belt sander idea failed and left the chunk of aluminum completely unsquare on every side.
I already had the aluminum drilled and tapped, so I chucked it up in the drill press and we had a winner.
I do <span style="color: #FF0000">NOT</span> recommend anyone to make their own bolt knob unless you have the proper tools.
This if anything should show you how much easier and faster a smith can do it.
downsized_0114121315.jpg

Here is the finished bolt knob and a smoothed out handle.
I still will be going over the handle to please a perfectionist(Me).
downsized_0114122350.jpg

One more but a little closer.
downsized_0114122350a.jpg

Now I just need to go over it a little more and then she is ready for some paint.

Thats all for today, Ill get some pics of the final product later.

TJ

You know what, TJ? I snickered and laughed a little when I saw all the electrical tape and that raw hunk of material for the knob.

But then I scrolled down and said "DAMN...that turned out pretty good!"
You got balls son, and I'm sorry for doubting your ingenuity. I wouldn't have done it.
Hell I would've just knocked over the Kwik-E-Mart again to finance the job.
laugh.gif
(jk)

At about the time I took the last picture on the first post I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into. Lol

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Ill just use the other knob on a future build.

TJ

For it to turn out that good in the end without having the proper tools, I'd say you did a hell of a job.

Find yourself a small lathe and you could easily have a side job that could generate a lil income.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At about the time I took the last picture on the first post I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into. Lol

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Ill just use the other knob on a future build.

TJ </div></div>

Isn't that the truth.. every time I start something, "What the hell have you gotten yourself into?"

I have to say that I am both surprised and impressed. Based on the first couple pictures I thought of the old sign:

Labor $20/hour
If you watch $30/hour
If you worked on it first $50/hour

I imagined you taking that to a 'smith and trying to explain. Congrats on the finished project, it turned out good.

I gotta admit, when I saw your first pics I thought “Oh God, here we go with a hack job”.

But now I gotta say that you did a great job with the tools that you had. Good work! You may have potential worthy of getting a lathe and mill in your hands.

Thats funny that everyone takes a look at the first couple pics and writes it off as a redneck hack job.
Guess I tricked yall!

Now just have to get some paint, the only part of the project thats gonna cost money.

TJ

That turned out really nice!

Last year I had a vendor here do a knob and flute for a bolt of mine , it only took 3 months from the time I sent it in to the time I got it back. Least you were'nt without a bolt for a long time.

some bondo or JBWeld on the gap in the joint and you will never know its not one piece. good job man

From the top set of pics to the second set of pics, wow. That deserves a round of applause!

If you keep filing/sanding a little more and then use some epoxy like AXEMAN said, it will look great.

Its funny that you posted on here Keith. One of my buddys was getting some qoutes on a build he wants and I had seen some of your good work on here and told him he might want to check you out.

Thanks for the compliments, Im waiting on my new stock to come in before I finish. I may shorten the arm some.

TJ

What do you use to smooth-en up the transition from the bolt handle to the knob?

edited: Should have kept reading. Jbweld or epoxy.

Wow, everything went better than expected! Seeing the tape, drill press, chunk of aluminum and ground down bolt knob, I was preparing for a disaster. Looks pretty darn good though! Scuff it up and give it a coat of paint, and post pictures of the finished product!

how did you file down the old boltknob and get it round so you could thread it? I ask becaus i wont to do the same thing but do not have a lathe either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how did you file down the old boltknob and get it round so you could thread it? I ask becaus i wont to do the same thing but do not have a lathe either. </div></div>

Just a dewalt angle grinder and some care, if your easy and take it slow with your die, you can leave it well oversized and it will cut it down. It is a pain to start the die that way tho. Just remember 1/8 turn in, 1/4 turn out.

TJ

Great WECSOG job.

Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing.

I did something similar with a badger knob. Came out great, took about an hour.

It's fun when it all comes together right.

Finally getting pictures up like I promised I would.
downsized_0125122230.jpg

Tried my hand at GAP camo too, trying to decide if i want to redo it. My little helper doesnt know what to think about it either.
downsized_0125122229a.jpg

downsized_0125121511.jpg

downsized_0125121511a.jpg

TJ

That looks very good lol at the begining I was kind of cringing I can't imagine what you were feeling with your own bolt. Must have some confidence in your abilites.

Ok I got my old bolt knob ground down and threaded it to 5/16 nc18 got some barstock aluminum about 1 1/2 diameter for free at local machine shop drilled and tap it same now all I half to do is shape it put it on and finish it now

About 1" in diameter and 1.4" long... I just went by look when making it.
Good luck on yours, TJ

Hey Kid- IT IS a Redneck Hack job! However, so many people fail to appreciate the beauty of many redneck hackjobs that turn out just fine- like this one of yours. Kudos, nice to see another southern boy with some ingenuity, imagination and crativity. Just gotta' make it happen.
I like to stick to the concept of 'just remove everything that doesn't look like what you want to make.'

Wow.. nice job without a lathe. Chucking it up was a good idea.