• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Brass Marker

kabarNC

Learning..
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Carolina
    20190714_184150.jpg

You're welcome.

So what modeling/cad software did you use for this? Share the stl?
    Any chance you are going to market the files or put this out for sale?

I'm more of an Autodesk guy lol. This design really had my Haas 5 axis working overtime.

Working on patents of hole design, placement, and product material now, and am planning on selling the product for a small fee of $189.99 ea. While supplies last..

Serious question - I'm kind of new to reloading. Why mark your brass in this way? Just uniquely identifying it for the range or do the two lines provide some sort of information?

Serious question - I'm kind of new to reloading. Why mark your brass in this way? Just uniquely identifying it for the range or do the two lines provide some sort of information?

Alot of us are into precision rifle competitions, where you and about 11 other guys are each shooting a 10 rd string, using the same props to shoot off of. This creates a pile of brass right there, and it's nice to be able to have an identifier on yours, and pick it out of the pile, knowing you got your own brass back.

Got it. Thanks for the reply. I thought at first you were checking for case wear or something...still learning.

I typically weigh all my brass after I process it, and use a red sharpie to mark each brass with its weight. Besides obvious function for sorting, I find most useful thing is it identifies my brass.

Alot of us are into precision rifle competitions, where you and about 11 other guys are each shooting a 10 rd string, using the same props to shoot off of. This creates a pile of brass right there, and it's nice to be able to have an identifier on yours, and pick it out of the pile, knowing you got your own brass back.
    And alot of matchs don't give you a lot of time to find your brass in order to keep the match moving along

Reactions: lash and Sam19kilo
    Have you guys had trouble cleaning the marker off in a tumbler? I find my tumbler wont take it all off and causes a light bump around the marker when i run my finger through it after tumbling. I have to sit there manually and scrub it off every time.

Have you guys had trouble cleaning the marker off in a tumbler? I find my tumbler wont take it all off and causes a light bump around the marker when i run my finger through it after tumbling. I have to sit there manually and scrub it off every time.
    Swap to wet tumbling

Swap to wet tumbling

Are you talking about wet media tumbling? I guess I started out with dry 15 years ago before all these other stuff really kicked off and just havnt purhase any new cleaning gear. I will take a look into it again

Are you talking about wet media tumbling? I guess I started out with dry 15 years ago before all these other stuff really kicked off and just havnt purhase any new cleaning gear. I will take a look into it again
    I don't use stainless pins or anything. Just harbor freight rock tumbler dawn dish soap and occasionally lemishine

Reactions: Datsrboi
    I like to mark mine inside the rim so I find it faster to do it this way. Pretty easy and fast to make the block up.

Attachments

• 83305296-C3A6-43A8-945C-D153931E7DD9.jpeg
      83305296-C3A6-43A8-945C-D153931E7DD9.jpeg
      408.6 KB · Views: 383
    • 7F2CDCCC-7009-473D-A99B-B2DCC5522977.jpeg
      7F2CDCCC-7009-473D-A99B-B2DCC5522977.jpeg
      411.9 KB · Views: 443
    Reactions: wbbh
    This thread was a couple months old.. But I always mark brass on my handloads with a date so I can match it to my log book records if needed. Sometimes I also mark things like brass weight, runout and headspace clearance - all depending on where I am with workup. Good luck to you!

Nothing fancy here. Sharpie how many grains of what powder and boolit wt. Same as my 20ga handloads... lead or hevishot, payload, shot size.

Great idea.

I mark the cartridge base, to keep the ink o/o the chamber.

Using a Magnum Red Marker, I swipe the entire head stamp area; then cover one half with a Black Magnum. This leaves a split red/black brass marker.

That's for the MilSpec (IMI) brass.

Some accumulates on the bolt face, which is easier to wipe off than the chamber interior, and requires no fixture to apply. Wear Nitrile gloves and be careful what clothing you wear, too; this stuff is forever on clothes.

For handloads using commercial brass, I do nearly the same. Solid Red with a Black Sharpie line down the center.

Years on the line shooting N/M Highpower led to a need for a quick way to tell one's brass from someone else's. The red catches the eye when picking it up, and there needs to be a fair sized area of red for it to stand out.

Load data goes on the Cartridge Box Label.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: kabarNC
    Surprised folks are not all over the 3d printeds ones as its is piece of cake to design and make , the biggest issue is that you have to design it to specific marker but that is all there is to it.

As a question for you brass markers out there, does any one make an ink pad that uses a clone of the sharpie ink? I've tried 2-3 so far and have not had good results. For some reason the ink in their markers seems unique as far as I can tell.

I really just want to be able to mark the brass I knock the crimp out of.

Yeah, I’m pretty high tech.

Note, some brass is marked with two colors to denote a separate firing of the brass.

F0C7A7F8-17EF-47AA-901B-1DB657870D9F.jpeg
    49548243-9ED4-4710-B0F3-EA0BC4044CF0.jpeg

Last edited:
    The two outside bolts push the markers to opposing sides of the pvc tube. The hole in the middle is where the head of the brass is placed. The middle bolt adjusts the depth which the case sinks to. Adjusted correctly, one mark will go in the rebates portion of the rim, the other mark will go up the case. Jus adjust the markers, and the middle bolt. Stick the brass in the hole, soon it a few Times and whala

Attachments

• BD18B139-D382-451F-999D-88768A291C08.jpeg
      BD18B139-D382-451F-999D-88768A291C08.jpeg
      266.4 KB · Views: 240
    Reactions: atomic41
    very interesting, will be looking at using some of these ideas to make one myself

I have seen people marking their cases which always made sense but I had no idea this was such a big deal. OPs idea is simple precision.

Does anyone have a quick way to color your bullet? I'm shooting a little IBS and they want you to color your bullet to identify it on target if needed.