• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Carbon Fiber AR10 Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube

breastroker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
All my AR15s have carbon fiber hand guards, mostly Clark Custom. My new AR10 308 from DPMS came with a carbon fiber guard, obviously from Clark Custom. DPMS secures it with two rivits.

Putting together another AR10 upper DPMS pattern.

Besides not needing all the tactical stuff they stick on AR's, it is much easier to install the barrel using an aluminum barrel nut.

Also not worried about heat build up and the need to add vent holes. I am shooting for accuracy and fun, not to burn up barrels.

New advertiser here and at Savage forums, Rock West Composites, had EXACTLY what I wanted, at very low prices. The DPMS AR10 uses a 2.00 inch ID carbon fiber tube. Rock West Composites just happened to have two tubes on special, Tube - Filament Wound - 2.000 x 2.125 x 13.360 Inch ($19.19) and Tube - Filament Wound - 2.000 x 2.125 x 14.360 Inch ($20.19).

So I ordered one of each. Called Clark Custom as their web site shows the AR10 guard as discontinued. But they had a barrel nut, cost $30 with shipping.

My DPMS barrel is a SASS Barrel LR-308 308 Winchester Bull Contour 1 in 10" Twist 18" Fluted Stainless Steel Black Teflon. Pretty mush DPMS best barrel. Using a Wilson Combat adjustable gas block (0.937") and a DPMS receiver.

Is it possible to "trim" carbon fiber tubes, or will it undermine/destroy the integrity of the tube , like fraying or unraveling?
Same question for drilling holes?

Check these out

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-d-i-y/192948-diy-free-float-handguards-ar-15-a.html

Cutting and Bondng Carbon Fiber Tubes

I just had to "trim" the Clark Custom Carbon fiber hand guard (rifle length) on my AR15 upper I have had for a couple of years. A Lilja 223 Wylde barrel with a carbine gas length that was OVERGASSED. Ejected at 1 o'clock. Had to use a heavier than M4 carrier, combined with a T2 buffer.

I always wanted something other than a flash hider that was on it, and wanted an adjustable gas block. But DAM, it was assembled with RED locktite. I heated it up for 5 days straight and added penetrating oil each day. Could not budge the flash hider.

I used tape, a standard hacksaw blade, rubber gloves and breathing mask, all to make sure it was safe to cut the carbon fiber hand guard off. Actually came off easily. I bought one of the fancy diamond bladed Dremil cutters, but figured it would make a LOT more dust.

Had to go to a gun smith to have the barrel nut and flash hider off. He broke a couple of pins off his tool due to the dam RED kiss of death.

I put an ALG single chamber muzzle brake on, a Wilson Combat front adjustable gas block, and installed the original Clark aluminum barrel nut.
Trimmed the carbon fiber tube with a hacksaw and evened out with sandpaper. It is press fit now, but I will drill holes in the carbon fiber and barrel nut and not use glue.