• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY case annealing machine - FUN!

jhelmuth

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Hey fellow accuracy nuts!

Just wanted to post some pics and kinda brag on my pops for this new toy he made me...

6glo2w.jpg

1zdbrfc.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDlz9dEsDPE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CDlz9dEsDPE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nice to have a Dad with a machine shop in his detached garage! I have relayed some "tweaks" to him on the next one - but he got this prototype pretty much spot on (and he dosen't handload or have any real exposure to reloading or much shooting for that matter).

Some intial “specs”, etc….

&#61656; Runs at 1.5 – 4.5 RPM
&#61656; Can use single or double torch
&#61656; Automatically rotates the brass so that the flame/heat is evenly distributed around the case neck
&#61656; Fully adjustable flame tip – up/down/right/left/in/out (albeit we need to tweak that just a bit more)

Anyway... just wanted to brag a bit. ;D

Re: DIY case annealing machine - FUN!

Ask your dad if he would like to make another one, give me costs and I'll buy it. WOW--looks like Lapua........xray9

Terrific job. Wish I knew a way to design and build something that intricate on my own.

Thanks guys. All props to my Dad. He's planning to build some more of these and I'll pass along your suggestions for case feeder ;o) and kudos....

Jim

PS - Ray, you will definately get one when he gets back.

Very cool!!! Definitely have some creative juices flowing now, just need to find the motivational ones to join in

Would love to pay him for one as well. Need to suport our fellow Hide Shooters

Websters dictionary defines talent as:

What jim helmuth's Dad has.

Very nice job and I do want one should he ever decide to make them for sale.

I've never annealed, so I don't know for sure, but aren't the cases supposed to either rotate or be heated from both sides so that they are uniformly annealed all the way around? Seems to me that design would only anneal about 2/3 around the should and neck.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never annealed, so I don't know for sure, but aren't the cases supposed to either rotate or be heated from both sides so that they are uniformly annealed all the way around? Seems to me that design would only anneal about 2/3 around the should and neck.

J </div></div>

Either works. Constant rotation would not hurt with multiple torches. I anneal using a small electric screw driver and a 1/4" drive deep socket that fits the case diameter I am annealing (13mm for 308 I think).. I plate the torch on the ground (on of course) and spin the case with the screw driver until color is correct.

OP: on the next one you could force the cases to predictably rotate by machining a ring of small serrations into the base plate that barely contacts the outer edge of the case head. So as the top plate with holes spins the outer edge of the case head drags on the rough surface of the base plate and spins the case the opposite direction the plates are spinning. Skateboard grip tape or something similar is another option for a textured surface.

How much money did you guys have into this? It is VERY nice and built pragmatically.

If you watch the video closely I thought the cases were spinning so equal heat was applied 360° around neck

Or maybe I'm seeing things

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dereck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you watch the video closely I thought the cases were spinning so equal heat was applied 360° around neck

Or maybe I'm seeing things </div></div>

They are spinning in the video - it's just hard to tell because those things are so purty-lookin'.

Also, it says so in the OP's post.
wink.gif

Ah.....I see it now. I made it a little bigger and watched closer, my apologies for missing it.

I was too busy singing along with the background music the first time!
laugh.gif

Well done.

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never annealed, so I don't know for sure, but aren't the cases supposed to either rotate or be heated from both sides so that they are uniformly annealed all the way around? Seems to me that design would only anneal about 2/3 around the should and neck.

J </div></div>

From the original post:

<span style="font-weight: bold">&#61656; Automatically rotates the brass so that the flame/heat is evenly distributed around the case neck</span>

Easy to overlook. I did the first time.

Hey guys...

Thanks for the kudos for my Pops (he is the best).

For thise of you who are asking about getting one, please PM me with your email addy and I'll have him get back to you when he gets back home (about 3 weeks).

Thanks again guys...

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LVMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never annealed, so I don't know for sure, but aren't the cases supposed to either rotate or be heated from both sides so that they are uniformly annealed all the way around? Seems to me that design would only anneal about 2/3 around the should and neck.

J </div></div>

Either works. Constant rotation would not hurt with multiple torches. I anneal using a small electric screw driver and a 1/4" drive deep socket that fits the case diameter I am annealing (13mm for 308 I think).. I plate the torch on the ground (on of course) and spin the case with the screw driver until color is correct.

OP: on the next one you could force the cases to predictably rotate by machining a ring of small serrations into the base plate that barely contacts the outer edge of the case head. So as the top plate with holes spins the outer edge of the case head drags on the rough surface of the base plate and spins the case the opposite direction the plates are spinning. Skateboard grip tape or something similar is another option for a textured surface.

How much money did you guys have into this? It is VERY nice and built pragmatically. </div></div>

RE: Rotation... the bottom plate does have a friction surface so the rotation is constant. Whether by accident (or not), the case rotation is perfect on .308, 6.5x47L, and .223. The turntable speed is also adjustable from 1.5 RPM to 8.8 RPM. We've discussed the "next" (future) units and we are shooting for a truntable speed of 1 to 3 RPM.

RE: $... So when I discussed this with my Pops (after a day at the range - I took him shooting), he just used what he had available. I know that he is putting together materials cost for future machines. I've been sourcing the motors and I know those are one of the more (if the not most) pricier parts (the 3/4" aluminum stock for the turntable is a close 2nd).

The motor cost is the motor cost not much you can do about that but instead of using a solid piece of aluminum is there a more economical material that could be used in its place?

I know some may not be concerned much with saving a few dollars but its just a thought.

Ideas?

Dereck,

I don't know. I suspect not...

You are correct. The motor is a very significant part of the cost. I know my Pops is conservative with costs and this would help to keep the price down...

I just got word from my Dad that he wll be taking pre-orders for the annealer. He can be contacted at [email protected].

All the best,

Jim

Are the monitors checking for commercial advertising here? Looks like advertising with less than 100 posts...just asking.

Looks like American ingenuity at it's finest to me, very well done. Email sent...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the monitors checking for commercial advertising here? Looks like advertising with less than 100 posts...just asking. </div></div>

To whomever...

I am NOT involved here, so if I have done anything wrong, please accept my apologies as it was totally unintended. I posted this because I was thrilled that my Pops mad me one. So many people asked about this and - as I am not going to be profiting or otherwise involved - I felt it was OK to give you all his email address if you want to ask him to make you one.

Again... this was never intended to break any rules and my Dad is not a shooter or a memeber of this forum. I apologize again if this got out of hand and for any imprepriety that I may have committed. It was not intentional.

With all due respect to this forum,

Jim

Shame ya even had to go there, but I guess that's our world now. Great post and damn nice design. So much could be done with this and obviously pops has got a good mind and eye. Have not annealed yet, but I'll tell ya I'm a little closer to doing it now
smile.gif

Thanks again and kudos to your Dad !!!!!!!!!!

Jim;

What cases would this nifty little machine work for? Or would it be a 'universal' type thing?

When you do come up with a final price, I would be interested in hearing it as I may start annealing now!

My regards,
Cameron

I'm not getting the YouTube link to work. Can someone post the address for me?