• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Cheek Riser

G17C

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2012
NH
In desperate need of some support for my dense head when shooting prone, and not entirely thrilled at the usual options to gain some comb height (stock packs, stock modification with loggerhead hardware, etc.) I decided that I would attempt to make a riser out of kydex that would not require any permanent modifications of the McMillan stock. Using a 12” X 12” piece of .125” kydex, I cut a 5.5” X 5.5” piece and using a heat gun, formed it over the top of the stock so that it fit snugly.

The next step was to figure out how much rise was needed. With the rifle placed on the floor, the Harris bipod legs extended to a comfortable height and a stack of magazines supporting the rear of the rifle to level the barrel (magnetic torpedo level on barrel), I determined that about 5/8” rise would be perfect. With the rifle level on the floor and the weight of my head fully supported by the riser and stack of magazines, I was finally able to lay behind the rifle and comfortably look through the scope. I also checked the amount of rise using a sling in the sitting position, as well as any other position I would be shooting from and determined that this was the ideal height.

With the amount of rise determined, I cut a strip of kydex and formed it to the inside of the cheek piece to provide the desired rise and then then secured it using epoxy. I used Velcro to hold the riser in place on the stock, which allows easy removal for bore cleaning. Finally, I contoured the riser to improve its aesthetics and allow removal of the bolt, and applied some rattle-can camo to make it blend better with the pattern of the stock. I am pleased with it on all counts: it's very solid with no wiggle or give, stays in place very well, did not require any modifications to the stock, is easily removable for bore cleaning (and at least to me) doesn't look like a total DIY hack.

Here are a few shots of the finished riser;

700custom-8.jpg

700custom-9.jpg

700custom-10.jpg

700custom-11.jpg

Hopefully some will find this post useful.

Thanks to all!

On a previous iteration of this rifle (stock SPS Tac) I had an adjustable kydex riser that functionally was fine, but required re-adjustment when it was removed and had large knobs on the cross bolts holding it in place;

700-11.jpg

This DIY version accomplishes the same thing without requiring readjustment when removed, no protruding hardware and no holes drilled in the stock.

Functional and looks really good! This would be a great solution for our military snipers instead of the foam/duct tape. Very nice!!!

Reactions: G17C
G17C,

That’s great. I did the same thing on my EH1 using carbon fiber. I’ve used five layers (in the future I’ll add one or two more) of cf cloth and marine systems 105 epoxy. Next day I’ve trimmed it to size cut out a notch for the bolt so I don’t have to remove it and sponged some flat green to blend it in. Best part I’ve only spent $4.16 for the velcro.

Attachments

• 619B33B5-2148-44AE-BC66-1192B09254D5.jpeg
    619B33B5-2148-44AE-BC66-1192B09254D5.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 211
  • A9CFD80D-730E-49F6-A1C4-BB9CD94D8DDB.jpeg
    A9CFD80D-730E-49F6-A1C4-BB9CD94D8DDB.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: BCX and G17C
Here are a few shots of the finished riser;

Hopefully some will find this post useful.
Hi G17C,

I can't seem to get the images to load. Could you upload directly or check where the issue is?

And a big thanks for posting of course!

Cheers

G