• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Drag Bag

REDfletching

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2023
Appalachia
Looking for thoughts on building a drag bag with the following requirements:

1) sturdy enough to protect the zero of the rifle and scope, but flexible enough to flow over terrain
2) can glide across and around the forest floor, rocks, bushes, thorns and NOT get hung up creating unnecessary noise and movement,
3) Accommodate hydration bladder, personal anti-hypothermia insulation, anti-muzzle blast mat, and other mission critical optics, ammo etc. after dumping and stashing a ruck with all the rest of the gear at the ORP.
4) tethered to a foot, but easily switch feet depending on obstacles encountered on crawl/slither route
5) cannot be too bulky, laterally, to ease penetration of foliage moving forward. Minimal silhouette profile, tapered, expanding towards the rear
6) easy attach/detach to a ruck that gets dumped at ORP after a long hump infil, and the drag bag slithered in to a firing position

I almost feel like a long narrow cone-like structure of tough but supple plastic, the length of the rifle, like a rifle scabbard. Maybe clothed in a super high denier (glued and stitched on maybe) nylon for noise reduction against rocks or hard objects.

Soliciting thoughts on personal experience with DIY drag-bags in conjunction with a ruck, good bad or indifferent, pros-cons. The commercially available “Drag Bags” look like great big very noisy behemoths to me.

I don't think there's a conventional drag bag or mat that will do everything you want well.

I would probably build something for what you're asking by modifying or fabricating a Sked stretcher with lighter fabric (perhaps a laminate, ultralite, or 500 Denier Cordura).

Start with the drag bag before adding the bladder and everything else you can otherwise fit into a ruck (otherwise it gets bulkier, bigger, and heavier like an akhio).

Reactions: REDfletching