• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY drying Cerakote on rifle

I use a xl stand up digital smoker. Easy to set the temp . Works perfectly. Bought this
E2A0A636-D7C1-4B77-BB11-B27618A8CCCA.png
same model at the local farm and fleet for around $225.

Reactions: Soulfire76
I built my own curing oven out of chimney flue, available at any hardware store. IIRC, it was 8" inside of 10", seperated by 1" of insulation all the way around. I built a frame to support the flue above a hotplate (cheap, abundant and replaceable). I'll try and post up some pics in the next couple of days.

At the end of the day, if I were only doing small quantities or just one rifle, I'd just send it to a certified applier. Not cheap, but cheaper than building your own in the long run.

Do yourself a favor......DON'T Cerakote the inside of any Action, you'll regret it.

Reactions: Digetydog
Can’t say for the air cured cerakote, but I used the durakote (also air cure) on mine and they have held up extremely well.
"Prep is key though".
Another good reason to send it to a certified applicator. Most people new to this don't understand the details and the lengths to which you must go to prep and clean everything properly.

Last edited:
If you can live without the barrel and only do the action then a little toaster oven works well, its what I use on my short stuff.

Black & Decker™ 4-Slice Toaster Oven in Grey | Bed Bath & Beyond

I've only done the Brownells Aluma-Hyde II coatings. This will hold 165°F as long as you need to. I usually let it set overnight. Hang the part(s) on the wires, cover with a towel or whatever your comfortable using and adjust the distance from the mouth to the heater as well as the size of the exit opening to control temps.

Hot box.jpg

Like post #6 but horizontal.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Then watch the professionally done Cerakote scratch to metal when it falls onto a dirt/gravel road…so much for the hyped up durability marketing. I’ve got Cerakoted stuff from various manufacturers and it’s all scratched up worse the anodized finish.

Cerakote is very chemical resistant tho. I’d Aluma Hyde a piece in the future.

I have done both types of Cerakote at home. For oven cure I used a ceramic kiln I had. I bought a big piece of sheet metal and bent it into a trough for dunking. I have a Harbor Freight blast cabinet. Works well enough. Air cure doesn’t have as many colors.