• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision DIY Flir PS 24 or 32 "hot shoe" for video output for dvr recording on the cheap

charlestondiving

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Charleston SC
www.furniturehoo.com
Wanted to share this simple diy Hot shoe for the flir ps thermal handhelds. Seemed a little more simple than the other instructions i found online.
The middle two contacts at the bottom of the flir output video. Put the quick release plate on the flir and mark the plate just below the contacts. Use pliers to bend the piano wire into a shape to go around the screw and up to touch the contacts on the flir. The pics below show better than i can describe. It will take some toying around with to get them just right.
for wiring.. Looking at the bottom of the flir with the eyecup facing up.. The contact just to the right of center connects to first contacts on the 3.5 connector. (closest to the cable). The contact to the left of center on the flir attaches to wire for the next contacts up on the 2.5 connector. (The last 2 contacts at the tip of the 2.5 connector are for audio.)

Works great, i'm really happy with the way it turned out. Had all the parts on hand except the mini dvr. The cheap little dvr is only 65 bucks or so and will record to micro SD.

23047d1386271724-diy-flir-ps-24-32-hot-shoe-video-output-dvr-recording-cheap-hs1.jpg

23048d1386271769-diy-flir-ps-24-32-hot-shoe-video-output-dvr-recording-cheap-hs4.jpg

23049d1386271824-diy-flir-ps-24-32-hot-shoe-video-output-dvr-recording-cheap-hs3.jpg

Parts needed.
thin piano wire or other spring type wire and 2 screws
2.5mm 4 pole cable
$65 Angel Eye DVR recorder KS650M 2 5" Mini Angel Eye Video Recording System Button DVR Video Recorder | eBay
$3-8 Tripod quick release plate. Vortex Pro GT Tripod Quick-Release Plate PRO-2-P. Vortex Tripod Accessories. Can be found cheaper on ebay.

Attachments

• hs1.jpg
    hs1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 28
  • hs4.jpg
    hs4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 23
  • hs3.jpg
    hs3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thank you sir! Was in the process of making one for my LS64 with some kydex..this may be another route to go.

Yeah...that's cool. If I tried that I'd have a non working thermal sitting on top of my gun safe. Electronic tinkering, no matter how simple, and me just don't jive. Good job.

Where do you get the 2.5 mm 4 pole cable? Online?

Finally found it at a parts place. Thanks for the reply!

just built mine, used 1/16 copper tube bent to make contacts, inserted wires and crimped then covered with body putty to hold tight.