• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY mover info please

Re: DIY mover info please

Remote controlled car with a helium filled balloon works. For added challenge, use two different colored balloons and only shoot one.
smile.gif

I actually just completed one. I was created by modifying an old hay elevator a friend had that was just rusting in his barn. It's electric, but we are going to run it off of a generator...

P1060090.jpg

I build a carriage for it that fastens to the chain by a post that I welded onto it. It's held to the post with two aluminum pop-rivets that are meant to shear if something goes wrong. The drive system is pretty powerful and it would mangle itself if the controller malfunctioned for any reason.

P1060079.jpg

I had to hack the motor a bit. It's and AC type that isn't meant to be reversed on the fly. You have to reverse the start capacitor and the motor has to come to a complete stop before it will change direction even is you reverse the start capacitor. So, I build a circuit board with some relays and a small microcontroller that wait 6 seconds after it stops, before it starts moving in the other direction.

P1060082.jpg

There are plates welded in two places on the chain that trigger inductive proximity switches when it reaches the ends.

P1060080.jpg

The target is a DIY shoot-n-see that is made by stretching a white kitchen garbage bag over cardboard and painting it black.

P1060094.jpg

P1060063.jpg

I also have some electronic targets that detect hits and flash a strobe. Here is a vid, it just flashes and LED, but the relay can switch something much bigger. Works with copper and lead bullets (vid is CB longs) and bullets coated in hBN. Haven't tried moly...

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/k...nt=P1050327.mp4

There are obviously cheaper and easier ways to go about this and I wouldn't recommend this as the way of going about it from scratch. It was just convenient for us since we already had most of the stuff we used to make it and a tractor to move it around.

Hanging target on a zip line. Electric winch with remote controls movement rate & direction, target stopping & starting, etc. And target can be hung steel in lieu of paper if you like.
Kind of like how targets are moved from 0-25yds @ indoor pistol ranges, but in this case, just think of using a similar aparatus to move things side to side, instead of towards or away from the shooter.

I though about trying to make one out of a garage door opener. it would be remote control also.

That would work well. Garage door openers sense the increased load of something stopping the door, so you probably wouldn't even need switches, or at most only one. Just run it into a stop at the far end and it will automatically come back the same way a garage door stops and opens again if something stops it from going down.