• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Picatinny Tripod Mount

xmattedgex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2014
I needed a cheap way to mount my rifle to a tripod. After dropping $3k on my first rifle and still needing a case, kestrel, data book and some other things a $150 mount was no where near the top of my priority list. A $30 one however....
So I knew I needed something that already mounts to a picatinny rail that i could drill and tap for a tripod screw. What I found was a GG&G Harris Bipod picatinny adapter. Now before you see this DIY and decide to go through with it and order one of these mounts, I must warn you, there are two versions of the mount, one of which will NOT work. It just so happens that my shop had two of these adapters in stock, one of each (had no idea about the one that won't work till I decided to do this write up). The one that you'll need has a completely solid base, the (what I assume to be) newer version has two giant holes cut out of it.

Start with the adapter and remove the sling stud. I simply put an allen key through it to get the leverage needed to take it off. This is the adapter you'll need,

NOT THIS ONE

Then drill a hole using a .201 drill bit and tap that hole using a 1/4 x 20 tap. I drilled the new hole halfway in between the current hole and the edge of the adapter.

That's it! Then you end up with this:

No where near the quality of something like a HOG/PIG saddle or any alamo four star stuff, but hey, it'll do the job for now.

interesting, the question I have is how easy is it to take off? do you need to unscrew the tripod from the rifle or is there an easier alternative?

Dont get me wrong, im all for being cheap, but for $30 you could have gone to Home Depot and made your own Hog/Pig looking setup out of a metal light switch plate and some foam.

I like the idea, but thinking about it, it might be a problem if you plan to use that setup in the field? I'd say in a hunting blind it'd probably be perfect!

interesting, the question I have is how easy is it to take off? do you need to unscrew the tripod from the rifle or is there an easier alternative?

Dont get me wrong, im all for being cheap, but for $30 you could have gone to Home Depot and made your own Hog/Pig looking setup out of a metal light switch plate and some foam.

I like the idea, but thinking about it, it might be a problem if you plan to use that setup in the field? I'd say in a hunting blind it'd probably be perfect!

Actually most tripods have a quick release mechanism. Rifle will detach in under a second.

Just saw this . I have done this for years but approached at a different angle . ( I think better ) but it's your baby .
I drilled & tapped a, Pic. Rail lever Quick-release . To a Tripod quick release Plate . Then you can just walk-up to Tripod Head with your XLR Chassis and just snap it to the Pic. Rail on the bottom of it's Handguard .
Works fantastic and I have used it now with XLR . but have used it with the AR-15 & 10 . And also the AICS chassis for hunting and shooting Long Time and it's the only way to go with shooting modular rifle platforms off the Tripod .
edit add:
I use this method for also QD snapping-in my Spotter, a V-rifle cradle and a Rapor6 NV for Spotter also to the same Tripod .
The avenues of usefulness in QD items is endless with this method .

Last edited:
Just saw this . I have done this for years but approached at a different angle . ( I think better ) but it's your baby .
I drilled & tapped a, Pic. Rail lever Quick-release . To a Tripod quick release Plate . Then you can just walk-up to Tripod Head with your XLR Chassis and just snap it to the Pic. Rail on the bottom of it's Handguard .
Works fantastic and I have used it now with XLR . but have used it with the AR-15 & 10 . And also the AICS chassis for hunting and shooting Long Time and it's the only way to go with shooting modular rifle platforms off the Tripod .
edit add:
I use this method for also QD snapping-in my Spotter, a V-rifle cradle and a Rapor6 NV for Spotter also to the same Tripod .
The avenues of usefulness in QD items is endless with this method .

Post up some pics man, I'd love to see it. I will be getting a tripod with a quick release so I can easily put the rifle on and take the rifle of. I do like your idea of using a QD pic rail mount so you leave the mount behind rather than leaving the tripod mount attached to the rifle. But I wanted to be a cheap ass so I just got this $30 mount.

I was at Walmart tonight and they had blackhawk bipod adapters. $15 works perfect and has a thumb screw for fast removal.

b7b83a7b70dc5eb9ba0dd4c7638e8c66_zps26ec4786.jpg

84c2d19465c59884683748ddad44e92d_zps8749cef8.jpg