• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY plate racks

Decoy

Nobody
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
Washington
I have a bunch of steel on my range but last year decided to make a few hanging plate racks with misc left over steel. I purchased a few sets of rack brackets for about $22/set and utilized a bunch of left over scrap piping I uncovered while cleaning up the farm. Asked the local FD for any old/outdated fire house and they were happy to get rid of it.

target stand3.jpg

Here is shot of the bracket with two legs that go on the ID of the pipe and the center hole for the main pipe. The pipe was pretty crusty so I had to pound it in.

The piece of the larger diameter pipe runs the length of the target. I had it so I used it but it is unnecessary, figured it would protect the main pipe. The 3rd rack I made did not have this piece at first and I added it later, seems to help keep the targets from moving side to side towards each other.

target stand.jpg

This is the longer one and I placed it on a steep hillside about 600 yards out, its a blast to shoot. Placing it on the angle had the back legs buried about 2 1/2 feet deep, front legs about 6". These stands do not move. I did a little tractor work and moved it and set it back up in about 15 minutes.

target stand2.jpg

This is the slightly smaller one I set up at 440 yards, I added a 6" plate to this one later.

All targets are attached with a 1/2-13 carriage bolt and two nuts with a large washer against the hose to keep them in place. At some point you will lose a carriage bolt but they are easily replaced.

I am ready to build #3 which will be five 8" square plates at 250 yards and #4 which will be 16",12",10",8",6",4" round at 585 yards. The 585 yard mark is only because that is a good spot to see it at from several positions.

They look great painted up on the range and create a good visual swing and great report on the hit. You can tell immediately on location of your hit based on the swing of the larger targets. All target are AR500.

Watching plate movement on hanging targets is a valuable skill to develop. I was using only t post based targets and that bit me at some matches last year- not being familiar w/ reading a plate

Reactions: hrt4me
I have been teaching my 11 year to shoot everything himself without input from me with his .223. Calling the wind and confirming the wind on a bigger target was a lesson in itself. The reaction of the target is important feedback. He is able to go 1 for 1 on 15 targets from 225 to 600 yards at this point. Reactive steel is a great learning aid.

Some scrap from work, altogether would probably be around $20 in material for both racks at your local hardware store. They come apart with a flat head screwdriver and fold up nice.

Reactions: hrt4me
Electric Fence Light company makes t-post brackets for different applications. I ordered the 8 pack for less than 40 bucks, drilled some ½ holes in them to hang some 2/3 IPC 5/8” AR500 steel targets. Could probably have gotten by with just one but two are very stout.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 71
I’ll try that and see how we get along with just 1 bracket. Thanks for the tip.