• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing DIY public land washington bull

bullfisher

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
Well its not a rifle story but i figured I'd share anyway, so here goes.

There I was on my back staring at the ceiling with the most intense pain I've ever felt in my life coursing up my body! Back spasms!!
I've had a sore back before, even a sharp pain or pulled muscle. But never breath taking pain like this. I feel bad for every back pain story I've ever heard and and blew off. Its as close to child birth as a man can get. The next couple weeks of rehab only solidified the reality of a lost hunting season.
Over a month went by and i could finally touch my toes again and do normal movements, but it was sept. 13, well into the season and I hadn't touched my bow in quite a while. This was also the year I really wanted to get my son into the woods and hike around, and maybe talk to a bull or two. So that day I pulled out my bow and slung some arrows, so far so good, no pain. I told my wife and kids that I was going out this weekend to walk a road or two with the boy, just to see if we could get a response out of a bull in an easy little hole I new of. So off we went, sept. 15 second to the last day, me, my son, bow in hand. At the end of a gated road we sat and compared elk sounds, only to here a quiet roar from the basin below. Bingo!! that's all i wanted for my son. We exchanged bugles with the dragon for a little while when I decided we may as well head down the drainage and see how interested he was. I could see a small clearing below but the terrain was very steep and cumbersome for my son, let alone my healing back, but my son insisted we get closer. We did, and after I herd another bugle I really turned it on with raspy chuckles, and branch breaking while the boy turned on his best cow calls. CRUNCH, BOOM, CRASH! He was coming in on a frozen rope! WOW.. all i wanted was a bugle but if the boy could see a bull that would be awesome. Sure enough, here he comes. With my son looking over my shoulder at a dark mass of antlers I ranged the bulls path of travel, He was roaring and swinging his head.. I drew my bow and released. The 430grn, single bevel tipped simmons landshark, destroyed the bulls shoulder. Immediately folding him up on the ground, A first for me with a bow. My son was absolutely speechless.
Though we were only a mile and a half from the truck, the rout was steep and treacherous for a nine year old and a slightly disabled dad. After a drive to cell service and a couple phone calls I realized my only help would be from my wife and our two daughters (one of whom is my sons twin sister). It was late, dark, and my kids were exhausted and scared when we got the last pack to the truck, and my back was PISSED OFF! But it was by far one of the most rewarding doses of reality I could give my family.

015.jpg

021.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

018.jpg

Re: DIY public land washington bull

Nice!!! I didn't draw any permits this yr, but I'm leaving on the 12th for 3 weeks of deer, & elk hunting. I hunt the east side tho so its more open. Glad you were able to get it out. I have had serious back problems for several years, & were it not for my hunting buddies I'd probably have to stop hunting. Sure glad I have some great friends.

Great bull! Good to see you got the family involved...

That bull has teally nice mass and tine length. Congrats.

Congrats on a nice bull and a tip of my hat for doing it with your son and dad in tow.

I have killed a couple nice bulls up there back in the days when tags were easy to be had and you could hunt anywhere. With the way it is now your success is an even bigger accomplishment. Take care of that back and keep taking the family out!

Congrats! Great story and glad to see you got the whole family involved.

Awesome bull but what is even greater was that your on was there with you.

That's awesome man. Great job. I am taking my daughter out Monday night to go fill a doe tag here in Spokane. I think it's great to get the family involved.

I love it when it comes together with the kids. Good job!

Thanks guys. My kids have had their chests out and their chins up ever since, As they should. Everyone had to dig deep to get out of that place in the dark. Suddenly, chores and school aren't so tough anymore.

That's an awesome bull to take. It's nice the family all pitched in to get it out.

Great job, beautiful bull and a huge congratulations to you and your family.

Dang that's a large bull! Especially with a bow.

Your family will never forget this.

Great job.

You are blessed to have such an opportunity with your family. It absolutely doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations.

Awesome experience. It doesn't get any better than getting the whole family involved. This will be something that your son never forgets and will replay over in his mind countless times.

What a beautiful bull! Congratulations man. Very cool