• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes DIY scope zero reset?

VTSEAL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2012
Southeastern PA
Has anyone ever done a DIY scope zero reset?

I have a scope that came on a rifle I purchased secondhand. It is a BSA Stealth Tactical that has been currently hung on an AR. I was pleasantly surprised with the glass. It has 1/8 MOA adjustments and has worked well on a couple rifles. My complaint is that it has lockable/removable turrets, but you cant reset the zero.

Looking at the design of the caps, I think I could sacrifice the locking feature in lieu of doing a homebrew re-zero. Pretty sure I could remove the slot tongue, and install a set screw to re-zero; keeping the ability to click the turrets; but losing the vertical lock feature

Re: DIY scope zero reset?

ive never heard of a scope that you couldnt "rezero" after swapping rifles.

Maybe i should clarify my post to better explain the problem in the hope that folks with useful experience or ideas may contribute. Or just to assist those with trouble reading; or arrogant D-bags who 'stop reading' but post an unhelpful smart ass comment anyway.

Here's the two line description of problem: you can turn the turrets to adjust reticle to = POI and zero the scope. But you cant then make the markings on the outside of turrets line up on the zero.

If this were a high end scope, no problem. Except this is not a high quality scope, it is a couple hundred dollar model. But I have it and for most uses it is an asset to leave on a rifle. It doesnt work as well as my high dollar scopes, but
I think with one small change, it would be a lot more useful. Asking for input here about making that change. Not every rifle needs a S&B, etc.

You can adjust the reticle to zero the scope (and after you are sighted in- to click windage/elevation) by lifting the turret to unlock it, and turning the turrets to move the reticle. For example, say that after zeroing the reticle you are at a value of 2.4 MOA as indicated on the turret markings. Now you want to remove the turret cap and reinstall it so that position is 0. That way you can click your elevation or windage and come back to the zero position instead of having to come back to 2.4 or whatever the starting position is.

Now the turret caps ARE removable, but the design of the locking mechanism is a screw and vertical groove setup that makes it so the turret can ONLY be reinstalled in a single indexed location for the screw to go back into the locking slider groove. Bad design. I called customer service and they said you cannot reset the turret caps on these. It looks to me like somebody drew it up to work and somebody who finalized the design didnt understand the concept so it didnt quite make production. If the slot was horizontal instead of vertical, it would have worked.

So, if I put the cap back on at zero, it wont line up the screw with the groove. The screw is so tiny that the cap cant be locked onto the turret anywhere except the groove in a reliable fashion using the little set screw.

That leaves:
option A) live with the caps set at their random values, and mark the values so I dont forget. This sux, and makes it a real pain to dial clicks, and come back to zero.
Option B) modify the turret cap to allow it to be reset. I am thinking that i could drill a new hole in the side of the cap, and install a new set screw that mates into the groove. Then i need to seal the other hole.

Anyone dealt with this before or have useful ideas?

Hey doshe bag or not the point remains BSA is a horrible brand. I have wasted my time with them and they have a well known quality problem. For a douchebag I am also a crafty machinist. So why don't you post some pictures so we have an idea what you're working with.

Man I really love this site for the wealth of information. But there are definitely a whole lot of pricks that think they're internet comedians.

Post a pictured link to your scope and we will help you out. Don't mind the haters.

Here are some photos as requested.

First, the turret after zeroing the scope on target for this particular rifle/load. Note the index mark is aligned to the 3.5 MOA marks on the cap. You can see the tiny set screw used to ride within the locking groove, and keep the cap from being pulled entirely off when you unlock the cap. Setting aside DFOOSKING's suggestion for a moment, if I leave 3.5 as my zero; and have to turn another 8.75 as calculated for a shot (there are 7.5 per revolution) it can get messy.
Turret_cap_markings.jpg

Next, is the turret with cap removed. The u-shaped groove captures the tip of the set screw, allowing a small vertical travel. The teeth in the cap engage the ones on the turret in the up position, and are disengaged in the down position.
Turret_groove.jpg

Detail of inside of cap. Set screw visible. My thought is to drill a new hole and install a new set screw with the turret markings at the zero position vs. the index point. Obvious disadvantage is that it is only relevant for that one load, rifle and mounting combination. If the mount shifts, or I change loads at all; the index is lost. The other alternative is to simply install the caps at the right position; without using a set screw. but if they get bumped wrong, the caps come right off.
Turret_cap.jpg

This is what I want to see. Starting position indicating zero MOA with rifle zero'd to POI.
Turret_zero.jpg

For rprecision - from your comment about being a machinist, I'd bet your not the type of guy to just throw something out because it is not top of the line; AND that you enjoy tinkering with things. That is part of the fun of hobbies right? - making things work better. You're right the BSA isn't a great scope; but it came to me with a rifle purchase and when I tried it out, it is pretty clear and it worked ok so far. Not ditching it till it gets a fair try. Then if it sux, there always EE on ARFCOM. I have to think that it would sell in seconds on ARFCOM since it has both "stealth" and "tactical" in the model name.
smile.gif
I DID have to take the stupid looking jumbo paralax wheel off the side so I could stop giggling long enough to get a good sight picture. Made the scope look like some kind of crippled river boat...

In addition to your set screw replacement I would drill another hole at the same height/location in the other cap finger indentions (or 2) and tap and thread them for additional set screws..........problem solved. In fact, I cannot see why you won't be able to keep the locking turret function with this fix?

? i don't even know how or why they would have exposed #'s on a turret that can't be zeroed and used as a working turret. I'm sure there is an easy solution.

So, as pictured I assume that you can return the turet to 0 however the set screw wont line up with the factory recess. Becuse the turet is splined the concern I would have is tightening down the set screw buggering up tye splines making it a one time deal.

What I would do is measure the brass turret and figure out how far down to that smothe ring machined below the splines. Being careful to measure clearances mark a new hole below the old one, drill and tap. Make sure the set screw doesn't hit the bottom of the splines. They make special set screw that have a plastic tip or a flush end. That shouldn't cost more then $20. Next time choose tasco, although they are cheap crappy glass they generally work, mostly.
Problem is this may limit travel.

The other idea to to replace the set screw with a plastic tiped version ane try it. Although this is likely to require drilling it out and retaping to a larger size.

If it were in my hands I might opt to bore out the turret cap to remove the splines then add another set screw so it can be put where ever you want it.

A little off subject here and I could be wrong but if you wanted to dial 3.5moa @ 100, you are way off. It looks like its in 1/8" increments.

I was gonna say tape and pen. Beat to it. Mark it up how ever works for you.