• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors DIY Silicone Suppressor Cover

Fightclub

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2020
Looking to make a suppressor cover. I have a griptastic from bowers group and i like it a lot; unfortunately they dont offer it in the size i need. Long/short, anyone use HPS Performance Parts for a suppressor cover? Its high temp silicone for coolant lines. I am specifically looking at the one in the link below. Rated up to 500 degrees F. Thoughts?

Had not seen this. Looking for a cover to easily take on and off. Gonna try this sleeve. Trim it. And then dremel “breather holes” to assist in heat dissipation.

I use a rifles only kit cover, remove the outer sleeve and then wrapped it down tight with the Multicam weapon tape camo from McNett, feels like it keeps the temp down an additional 200F compared to vs just a cover.

Reactions: ljmontano
Looking to make a suppressor cover. I have a griptastic from bowers group and i like it a lot; unfortunately they dont offer it in the size i need. Long/short, anyone use HPS Performance Parts for a suppressor cover? Its high temp silicone for coolant lines. I am specifically looking at the one in the link below. Rated up to 500 degrees F. Thoughts?

Silicone dish drying mats work great, cheap, easy on/off. Was able to get 2 from one mat.
Lots of different styles of silicone mats out there, this happened to be on sale for around $8.

0C15026C-788A-4AB8-AB22-FF5A653D6D72.jpeg
F4A94D93-5A2B-49FC-B3C6-6A29985B1D65.jpeg

Silicone dish drying mats work great, cheap, easy on/off. Was able to get 2 from one mat.
Lots of different styles of silicone mats out there, this happened to be on sale for around $8.

Did you secure with tape? Paracord? Have you looked into bonding the ends together? I was googling how to secure it and bonding the ends seems like a viable option.

Did you secure with tape? Paracord? Have you looked into bonding the ends together? I was googling how to secure it and bonding the ends seems like a viable option.

Just cut to size and taped on, no bonding needed. That just packing tape holding it on, it works for my needs currently. Might get some fancy camo duct tape so I can be "Tacticooler", :ROFLMAO:

In the top pic at about 4 O'clock position, you can see the seam/edge slightly overlap.

This is Mousco brand dishmat, good to 480 degrees it says. I believe it's good beyond that...........Pretty sure all silicone stuff is good to 500 degrees.

The ONLY purpose is to block the mirage from the heat waves rising off the can, that's all any suppressor cover does.

Here's an old thread you may find helpful.

Just cut to size and taped on, no bonding needed. That just packing tape holding it on, it works for my needs currently. Might get some fancy camo duct tape so I can be "Tacticooler", :ROFLMAO:

In the top pic at about 4 O'clock position, you can see the seam/edge slightly overlap.

This is Mousco brand dishmat, good to 480 degrees it says. I believe it's good beyond that...........Pretty sure all silicone stuff is good to 500 degrees.

The ONLY purpose is to block the mirage from the heat waves rising off the can, that's all any suppressor cover does.

Here's an old thread you may find helpful.

Good evening @smoooth1 ,

Have you run this mat yet and got it hot? Wondering how it holds up under real conditions and if the material is grippy enough to keep from sliding off.

Aaron

Is that matting grippy enough to keep from sliding off your can?

Reactions: smoooth1
Good evening @smoooth1 ,

Have you run this mat yet and got it hot? Wondering how it holds up under real conditions and if the material is grippy enough to keep from sliding off.

Aaron

Is that matting grippy enough to keep from sliding off your can?

Yes sir, been running it for a good year now. Have had it quite warm. It will start to slip if it’s not secured well, but by then you probably should stop shooting on a Titanium can anyway.
Has not melted yet!
Lots of ways to minimize mirage, this one works for me and cost was very low.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Spicerack
Yes sir, been running it for a good year now. Have had it quite warm. It will start to slip if it’s not secured well, but by then you probably should stop shooting on a Titanium can anyway.
Has not melted yet!
Lots of ways to minimize mirage, this one works for me and cost was very low.

Hope this helps!

Sure does, thank you. I have the drying mat in the amazon cart and am thinking of ordering the Rifles Only HAD sleeve to tie it all together. Maybe eventually figure out a way to bond the edges if it works well enough on the old Omega to warrant further effort.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

View attachment 7231802View attachment 7231803
Dood this is AWESOME. I have to try this if for no other reason it will give taci-coolers the hives being within 30 feet of it. I'm going to one up your idea though and re-task my used drying mat I have under my sink that is stained with water. Thanks!

Here is one like Smoooth1's but with the ridges only on one side. I like the idea of the ridges next to the can and not on the outside to help remove heat and keep the diameter increase down to 1/2" as well. Im securing it with The bandage tape also linked below. I think this will work great on the UZI Micro with an MK9K. Not so much for mirage with the ribs, but it will keep the skin on my hand.

Hope this helps!!
I love MacGyver shit that works well.

Last edited:
I did a version with ceramic paper covered by coban. 1/8” ceramic paper wrapped 3 times around and secured with tight coban has been perfect for a long gun, acceptable for a carbine. Couple more layers for a carbine would be best. Won’t melt your shit or burn you but it still gets warm.

Honestly, it works well enough you aren’t gonna need more insulation given today’s ammo costs. I think I’m in for about $12 and if you have a bunch of cans the cost goes way down per unit. Hard to see the sn though but easy enough to unwrap/cut off

for what its worth, the silicone tube i mentioned in my first post did not work AT ALL! Total failure. Dish drying mats work much much MUCH better.

So the two methods above look pretty legit... with either ceramic paper or silicon dish dry mat it insulates so well you can wrap it with just about anything?

I love reading poor people threads. 80 bucks will buy the best cover. Spend a few bucks and support the American workers.

I love reading poor people threads. 80 bucks will buy the best cover. Spend a few bucks and support the American workers.

Please, Richer, do tell us poors what is "THE BEST" cover?????:unsure:

Oh, and $80!! WTF, do you have any idea how many packs of cheap cigarettes and cases of Old Milwaukee that could buy our broke asses??o_O

Go be a rich gear queer somewhere else.;)

Or maybe you’re lookin for something that you can outfit two dozen suppressors with and don’t feel like putting some stupid ass 1000denier cover with cords all over them on a property book to count multiple times a year for eternity.

And tape over silicone pad isnt stupid...:rolleyes: Carry on

Call your supressor mfr and ask if they reccomend your methods and if theyll honor the warranty if you damage the can.

Last edited:
And tape over silicone pad isnt stupid...:rolleyes: Carry on

Call your supressor mfr and ask if they reccomend your methods and if theyll honor the warranty if you damage the can.

you’re acting like suppressor covers from retailers aren’t made from ceramic cloth or other fire retardants in the first place. It’s perfectly reasonable to roll your own.

You guys are missing the obvious...welding blanket and Tesa tape. Less than $25 on Amazon and you can roll several of your own.

I'm just gonna steal one of Rebecca's oven mitts and use velcro straps around it.
Doing that allows me to change the cover to match the season...

View attachment 7231802View attachment 7231803
where did you buy that silicone drying mat? How hot does asuppressor normally get (not mag dumps) from one shot of 5.56 every 10 seconds. What results have you got with this mat?

Good afternoon,
Did this little experiment on a bare can before strapping on the mat. But since the experiment, never really got anything hot enough to really approximate this same interval with the mat on. I also put a piece of the mat in the natural gas grill on an old sheet pan to see what happens as the heat increases. The mat got crispy and crumbly at around 600*F if i remember correctly. Point of the grill exercise that i took away was that it gets crumbly rather than melty, so that alleviates some concern with gooping up the can's finish if the mat does fail.

1649193403398.png

Attachments

• 20200302_224602.jpg
    20200302_224602.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20200302_182056_01.jpg
    IMG_20200302_182056_01.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
where did you buy that silicone drying mat? How hot does asuppressor normally get (not mag dumps) from one shot of 5.56 every 10 seconds. What results have you got with this mat?

I bought it from eBay a few years ago and am still using the same one. Have never had an issue, but haven’t shot a 30rd (or more) mag thru it quickly either.
Have had my 300WM can plenty hot (many times) and the mat still looks like new. In fact, I upgraded from packing tape to vet wrap to hold it in place. The vet wrap is working very well and is much more cosmetically appealing, attracts hotter women, shoots better, and best of all, makes me feel less poor😎Confidence is everything and confidence in your equipment equals success 🤩😁

Seriously, It’s an easy and inexpensive fix to a very simple problem. All of the big name, big money suppressor covers (that I’m aware of) are just fancy insulating blankets with no way for air to circulate to help cool your can. Prove me wrong, please.
If it doesn’t work out for your shooting style, at least you are only out a few dollars and a few minutes of your life.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 6.5SH