• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DIY Snapcaps

308RUG

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Australia
Hiyas,
I want to practice dry firing and would prefer to have the firing pin striking something to simulate a primer.I was looking at purchasing some snap caps, then thought why cant ya just make them yourself by pressing up a few rounds without the powder and using fired primers then marking them clearly so as not to get them confused with live ammo. If I was to go down this path would there be any adverse affects on the firing pin hammering into the used primers, or should I be looking to use some sort of other material to be used in the place of a used primer. i.e. a piece of nylon cutting board or wood trimmed to fit the primer pocket.The other thought was to fill the primer pocket with a silicon that goes hard but not brittle when set.
Anyone with info or personal experience with making these please comment.
Thanks.

Lee

Re: DIY Snapcaps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308RUG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hiyas,
I want to practice dry firing and would prefer to have the firing pin striking something to simulate a primer.I was looking at purchasing some snap caps, then thought why cant ya just make them yourself by pressing up a few rounds without the powder and using fired primers then marking them clearly so as not to get them confused with live ammo. If I was to go down this path would there be any adverse affects on the firing pin hammering into the used primers, or should I be looking to use some sort of other material to be used in the place of a used primer. i.e. a piece of nylon cutting board or wood trimmed to fit the primer pocket.<span style="color: #33FF33">The other thought was to fill the primer pocket with a silicon that goes hard but not brittle when set.</span>Anyone with info or personal experience with making these please comment.
Thanks.

Lee </div></div>

Just use the silicone, works for me.

I always used a pencil eraser. Works fine.

Ahhhhh I hadn't thought of that cheers.
wouldn't be far off the same size anyway and easily replaceable. the only reason I hadn't gone to silicon in the first place was I wasn't sure if it would stand up to the constant pounding of a firing pin....
Will give both a go and see which one come up better.
Thanks for the input
wink.gif

I always drill a hole in the side of the case as well, espcially if i use a case with a dead primer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mr45acp2u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always drill a hole in the side of the case as well, espcially if i use a case with a dead primer. </div></div>

I dont drill the hole. I use them to check for flinch so I dont want to know which one im loading up. If your gonna use this in your house for trigger practice you might wanna buy one of the plastic ones so you dont get them mixed up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308RUG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #33FF33">The other thought was to fill the primer pocket with a silicon that goes hard but not brittle when set.</span>
Lee </div></div>

Just use the silicone, works for me.</div></div>

ditto

+1 for pencil erasers.

The way I tell my dummy rounds from the real thing is nickel cases. I never load or shoot nickel cased ammo. I reserve those cases strictly for the dummy rounds.