• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Snowshoes

SDBguy95

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2019
I want to build a set of snowshoes and was wondering if any of you have made a pair before? Any pictures if you have?

This might be a cost effective solution.

Never done it before, but it seems the hardest part would be building a bowyer's box to shape the wood...

Ive only been thinking on this for a couple days, but in my head the outside hoop is going to be made out of soft metal pipe. Maybe PVC?

I'm thinking the PVC would get brittle in the cold and snap...if the frame is metal, then aluminum tubing and a tube bender (maybe use steel conduit bender?) would probably be a good route...

Easy to build using pine bows, willows, etc. Lash everything together with 550 cord. You don't need to make a bow like traditional snow shoes, just take the main outside parts and lash them front and back, then the main pivot bar can be used to spread them apart.

Ive seen guys using hot sand poured into pvc pipe and bending it when warm. This way you'll get nice round corners and it wont be brittle like if you'd use a torch. Id suggest a forming board. Use nails and make an outline for your outside form. Then just wrap the pvc when warm around the nails to make your form. Let it cool, empty out the sand, glue a pvc connector to finish them off. Now put in your cross bar and start drilling holes and thread your string.
XDeano

Do you want to have the pivot bar directly under the balls of your feet?

Have you seen the msr evo snow shoes? They do away with the frame design in favor of a single piece of heavy plastic. Could be duplicated with plywood. Don’t know how well they’ll float in deep powder, but certainly an easier approach. Binding could be made with paracord and webbing.
I guess it would be relevant to ask why you want to make snow shoes? Commercially available shoes aren’t that expensive.. if you just like making things I get that too.. In which case I’d ask what your looking to get out of the project. Aluminum frame would certainly be most useful. Wood frame most beautiful, and maybe most fun to make. Just need something to get through snow to the cabin? Maybe the plywood idea..

Reactions: SDBguy95
Was thinking about trying to walk sloughs for coyote when I posted this, but last weekend when walking to a few stands I realized they wouldnt need to be just for sloughs! The fence lines up here blow in pretty good. I like to build stuff if there is a simple way to do it, and thought if someone had any ideas Id give it a whirl. Im not apposed to buying a set, just wanted to see what else is out there ?