• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Surefire Flashlight Boring?

jpmuscle

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
So given the notion that surefire is discontinuing alot of their Incan lights some pretty sweet deals can be had if you look around. I was in the market for another TLR1 so i picked up Ican C2-HA and original 6p. (Im probably gonna stock up on the C2s when I can), with the intention of replacing the Incan assemblies with LEDs since IMO the incandescent stuff is obselete considering what is available nowadays with Drop In aftermarket LED assemblies.

The 6p may get the simple surefire p60l drop in which is roughly 80 lumens for 12 hours. Its going on the AR so it doesnt need to be anything super fancy ,just needs to work.

As for the C2 there are some serious LED drop ins out there anywhere from the p60L to the 170-200+ lumen malkoff units to the 1000 plus variable lumen torch lab stuff which is insane. I want to be able to run cr123s or AAs (with Delrin inserts) or the larger rechargables depending on what drop in I use. Even if I dont opt for one of the high output LED engines using rechargable AWs would be convenient.

Malkoff Drop Ins

Torch Lab LED Engines

However to utilize the Higher power stuff effectively the host tubes need to be bored out to 18mm to accept the larger diameter rechargable batteries(ex, AW18650s etc). I dont fancy paying 130+ for stripped over bored host bodies and I dont have a lathe so im curious if anybody has a suggestion experience with a small 1" or so honing system similiar to whats used for finish honing engine block cylinders. But once the tubes are bored out delrin inserts can be used to use smaller batteries still.

Think this but smaller

Cylinder Hone

I have to say these stupid things are addicting and their way cheaper to play with and mod than firearms. haha

oh and while were at it anybody know where I can find a surefire z44 bezel tool since oveready.com is out of stock

Re: DIY Surefire Flashlight Boring?

I just got the Midway flyer and they are selling G3's for 29.99.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the Midway flyer and they are selling G3's for 29.99. </div></div>

I saw that too. for 30$ you cant go wrong. they can be had for ridiculous prices

Chilo,

That may be the ticket since it fit the 18mm host. I didnt think of Shotgun Barrel Hones.

whats 28ga equal MM wise?? That would probably work tho

Thanks

john

Ummm.

You're going to purchase a Surefire incandescent flashlight, throw away the internals, buy new aftermarket LED internals, and then have someone bore out the tube to fit the new parts?

Is it just me, or would it not be <span style="font-weight: bold">slightly</span> easier to just go ahead and buy a damn LED Surefire? The AA Outdoorsman uses AA batteries and doesn't require milling, or voiding warranties, or screwing around with aftermarket parts.

I've been using the same E2D as daily carry for over four and a half years now, and I'm just now finally getting to the point of thinking about replacing it. The replacement will be another Surefire. There's no point in buying cheap gear that's going to cost you more to maintain over the long run.

Simple was does anybody send their rifle to gap? To make it better.

As for surefire they make the best and earned their reputation but I want some things they don't offer. Their incandescent lights are cheap but some of them are no longer gonna be produced.

I want more lumens and better run time. Surefires head conversions are very nice but the aftermarket drop ins have also earned a quality reputation. I wont say their better but are more flexible. Problem is you can only do so much with CR123s In a given package hence the preference for overbore and larger batteries.

This is actually very easy to do! It does take a little time though, about 20min. on a 6P body with A19 extension attached. I purchased 120grit and 320grit 18mm brake hones off of Ebay and used them with great results. I've bored 2 6P bodies and 2 A19 extensions. I began with the 120grit but purchased the 320 because I wanted a little smoother surface as not to damage the battery wrappers. I started using honing oil on the first one but it was very messy. The second method I tried (and really worked well) was to hold the bezel end of the body to the end of a water hose turned on very slightly. You want the water to be coming out steadily but not so much that it soaks you while you're honing. I found that doing this I could use a higher speed on the cordless drill without damaging the hone. Remember to remove your O rings before starting and to clean the finished body with soap and water to remove any left over metal from the threads and inside of the body. Use a good grease to lube the thread after you finish to prevent galling as well. Hope this helps out.

JD thanks for the info ill keep that in mind when the time comes.

I gotta say these are great little lights

2011-09-05_11-42-55_554.jpg

DSC03246.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple was does anybody send their rifle to gap? To make it better.

As for surefire they make the best and earned their reputation but I want some things they don't offer. Their incandescent lights are cheap but some of them are no longer gonna be produced.

I want more lumens and better run time. Surefires head conversions are very nice but the aftermarket drop ins have also earned a quality reputation. I wont say their better but are more flexible. Problem is you can only do so much with CR123s In a given package hence the preference for overbore and larger batteries. </div></div>

Point taken, although I'd love to know just how many lumens those models are actually putting out the front, and whether the runtimes are really as long as claimed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmusc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Point taken, although I'd love to know just how many lumens those models are actually putting out the front, and whether the runtimes are really as long as claimed. </div></div>

I've been running a Torchlab P60/Triple drop in for some time now and it's unbelievable!! The amount of light put out will blow you away. It's rated at 1000 neutral lumens on 2 cells and 800 neutral lumens on a single cell. That is how I typically run it is with an 18650 or if I need a smaller package I run a 18500 IMR cell via a ZeroRes shorty in the stock tail cap attached to single cell host bored for 18mm. The runtimes and lumens have been thoroughly and independently tested over on Candle Power forums and have been shown to run true to spec.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

313k3zn.jpg

JD,

you need the A19 extension to run the 2 cells correct?

the setup in the pic is with the single 18650 correct?

Also where did you source your torchlab LED from? overready.com is out of stock and i havnt found anybody else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpmuscle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JD,

you need the A19 extension to run the 2 cells correct?

the setup in the pic is with the single 18650 correct?

Also where did you source your torchlab LED from? overready.com is out of stock and i havnt found anybody else </div></div>

The body pictured is a 6P body which (if bored) will accept 1 18650 or 2 18350s. A unbored body will accept 1 17670 or 2 16340s. With a A19 added you can run (again bored) 2 18500s or 3 18350s. Or with an unbored body it would be 2 17500s or 3 16340s. You would need 2 A19s (bored) to run 2 18650s or 2 (unbored) to run 2 17670s. Actually with the bored body you can run all the above smaller cells but sometimes you will get a little rattle. This can be fixed with derlin spacers.

The Torchlab products are only available through the Oveready website or on Candle Power forums as far as I know. Great products and Dan and the group at Oveready are great to work with, super helpful.

Here's a pic of a 6P w/A19 installed.

154eo45.jpg