• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Tactical Ammo Locker

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
So I happen to live in a corner of the world where ammunition can't be "easily accessible" to the firearms, which is open to interpretation, so the easiest way is to lock up your munitions. I decided that I wanted to do a tactical approach, while on a budget. These are the steps you need to take to make a full tactical locker for 31.00 CAD or less.

So step one is to go onto your online classifieds and find an old school locker, you can usually find a full-blown tactical variant for free. What you want is something like this:

As you can see, this locker is full-blown tactical, no one will suspect you have 1000kg's of munitions as the locker comes in a nice urban camouflage.

Step two is to grab your roommate and your Mazdaspeed3 (in which there is no way a full sized tactical locker will fit inside the small hatchback) with the mindset that the tactical locker IS GOING TO FIT. Even if it means that the passenger seat has to be all the way forward with your roommate in it. Safety first guys! His seat bet was on. Photo of step two:

Note the position of his head reference the mirror. Getting him in and out of the small little crack was a trick, but with a enough shimming your roommate will fit.

Step three is an important step, you need to decide what degree of tacticality your munition locker. You need to decide if the urban camo is the right colour for you, in my case my tactical locker came in teenage-girl tactical electric purpled pattern. This colour would deter most but I opted for black. So I bought a pint of the cheapest black paint I could find for 6.00 CAD and painted it black. I also opted to leave the inside neon pink in interest of saving money, and it also doubles as a blinding device. If someone were to intrude, opening the locker could blind them temporarily:

Step four is to decide how you want to arrange your munitions, tactically. I opted for 1' shelves the whole way up. I used 1x3 tactical strapping cut at 12" lengths, and house brand tactical chip-board cut to exact size for a total cost of 15.00 CAD. In order to meed the strapping in place, I used epoxy that was kicking around the house. Step four should look like this:

Note that you can use the tactical Winchester White Box munitions as high tech friction clamps, also duct tape works, until the epoxy sets.

Step five is to choose your tactical securing device. I went with a new master lock that I reviewed here: New Master Lock Review
Basically a new type of combo lock that allows you to set the combo (of any length) in movements of up, down, left and/or right. This allows you to open the lock in the dark. The lock cost 10.00 CAD.

So the total cost for my very tactical munition storage centre was 31.00 CAD.

I hope you guys took this for the satire it was and enjoyed the play on the whole "tacticool" thing. The locker was cheap to make and works for the purpose it was intended for. The lock is actually pretty nice for 10 bucks does what it is meant to do and is easy to open if you know the combo.

Cheers,

James