• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft DIY 'Tannerite' anyone?

Big_Country

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
United States
I'm here to share a little bit of experience I have with making my own BTE "Binary Target Explosives". But before I go on, let it be known that I am not responsible for anyone that chooses to brew up theiw own BTE. When I first started out I figured I could simply get a rock tumbler and grind down some 300 'or better mesh aluminum and toss it in with an instant cold pack "Ammonium Nitrate" and have a fun day of shooting up some BTE. Sometimes it worked, and some not. If any of you are interested in saving a lot of money vs buying those ridiculously expensive tannerite packages "There are multiple companies" I have a much better recipe that works every single time.

Use AN/NM/AL of 70/20/10 by weight mix.
AN - Ammonium Nitrate "Explosive grade"
NM - Nitro-Methane "30% or higher is best"
AL - Aluminum "Finer the better"

Plain old Tannerite consisting of AN/AL with a pinch of Potassium Perchlorate doesn't hold a candle stick to AN/NM/AL and its very safe to use. For those worried about the law it's 100% legal to make your own.

If your having a hard time finding AN locally and don't want to puchase it online out of fear of being on the DHS watch-list and paying ridiculously expensiveshipping fees, you can buy the cheap crap and filter out all the unwanted 'cakings' and end up with highly pure AN. You can also make highly pure AN by making it with ver basic or even no lab supplies just researc a little or hit me up. I can give multiple formulas out for anything even rimfire sensitive BTE.

Anybody know of a better report from down range fill me in

Stay safe, Dave

I think tannerite is not going to ever cause fingers flying off your hand unless you hold it when it is shot. Mix it when on scene then put down range AND not inside or under things that can fly and hurt you. Shoot is and enjoy. I want get the recipe to make some!!!

Beware of the E.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this recipe be considered illegally manufactured explosive? I am pretty sure the user's intent and method of detonation plays no bearing in the legality of manufacture.......otherwise you could manufacture ANY high explosive with the intent of using it as an exploding target and it would be legal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have heard that because this takes a high velocity impact to detonate it is not considered a regulated explosive by ATF?
Probably not the right answer, but as I dont use it I am not too knowledgeable about it.

Beware of the E.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this recipe be considered illegally manufactured explosive? I am pretty sure the user's intent and method of detonation plays no bearing in the legality of manufacture.......otherwise you could manufacture ANY high explosive with the intent of using it as an exploding target and it would be legal.

If that was true would you not need a license to buy Tannerite? Would buying Tannerite and mixing the two parts not be just the same as mixing ammonium nitrate fertilizer and loom seal?

"Oh, hey there Mr. Officer."

"Oh, what are these things? Just some Ammonium Nitrate, nitromethane, and micronized aluminum powder I'm going to mix up and have a good time with. It's legal, I promise."

..... Yeah.... Uhh... hmmmm.... Not sure that would go well for Mr. John Q. Public. I sure as shit wouldn't want to test the legal waters.

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say the average cop would be like this:

d30a72386410dbf6aff54c3403fb362a2d5e5edafe46cfcf1a98f7980e41fdab.jpg

Intent and method of detonation are both factors.

Beware of the E.

Reactions: camocorvette
I've always been a big fan of shooting at portable propane cans, like the ones we use in our grill.

Legalities aside, I think it's a great opportunity to explore Darwin's "Survival of the Fittest" concept or as my old man used to tell me, "Son, when you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes."

Happy Exploding.... and OP if you can get your hands on some potassium permanganate, it's the beez neez.

Dave- Some states.... It's not legal to own/ make. IF I understand the laws in CA, the ingredients are fine... Combining them make you fall into the Manufacturing a destructive device.... Just like Bottle Rockets, Sparklers and Safe & Sane fireworks... not legal everywhere..... Damn Fun Police

And yes... Some Bass Pro sops sell or sold it in CA... it's at a lot of Gun shows too-

What makes Tannerite illegal in California?
18710. (a) Except as provided by this chapter, any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state, possesses any destructive device, other than fixed ammunition of a caliber greater than .60 caliber, is guilty of a public offense.
(b) A person, firm, or corporation who is convicted of an offense under subdivision (a) shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed one year, or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or by both this fine and imprisonment.
18720. Every person who possesses any substance, material, or any combination of substances or materials, with the intent to make any destructive device or any explosive withohout first obtaining a valid permit to make that destructive device or explosive, is guilty of a felony, and is punishable by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for two, three, or four years
18740. Every person who possesses, explodes, ignites, or attempts to explode or ignite any destructive device or any explosive with intent to injure, intimidate, or terrify any person, or with intent to wrongfully injure or destroy any property, is guilty of a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for a period of three, five, or seven years.
479.11 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations
Destructive device.
(a) Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (1) bomb, (2) grenade, (3) rocket having a propellent charge of more than 4 ounces, (4) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (5) mine, or (6) similar device; (b) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Director finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes; and (c) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this definition and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
Due to item 1, bomb, and item 6, "similar device", it is determined that once mixed, the components create an illegal item under this section.
Also, From the ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms:
Americans are not legal in California

I have no intention of ever using tannerite. Steel and white paint are cheap and I get more shots per refurb.

I just brought up a few questions because you can also add a thing or two to make tannerite low velocity sensitive.......so would it still be legal?

Seems like a lot of individual/agent interpretation.

I do welcome actual facts from agents who deal with it everyday.......just for everyone's legality sake.

I'm here to share a little bit of experience I have with making my own BTE "Binary Target Explosives". But before I go on, let it be known that I am not responsible for anyone that chooses to brew up theiw own BTE. When I first started out I figured I could simply get a rock tumbler and grind down some 300 'or better mesh aluminum and toss it in with an instant cold pack "Ammonium Nitrate" and have a fun day of shooting up some BTE. Sometimes it worked, and some not. If any of you are interested in saving a lot of money vs buying those ridiculously expensive tannerite packages "There are multiple companies" I have a much better recipe that works every single time.

Plain old Tannerite consisting of AN/AL with a pinch of Potassium Perchlorate doesn't hold a candle stick to AN/NM/AL and its very safe to use. For those worried about the law it's 100% legal to make your own.

If your having a hard time finding AN locally and don't want to puchase it online out of fear of being on the DHS watch-list and paying ridiculously expensiveshipping fees, you can buy the cheap crap and filter out all the unwanted 'cakings' and end up with highly pure AN. You can also make highly pure AN by making it with ver basic or even no lab supplies just researc a little or hit me up. I can give multiple formulas out for anything even rimfire sensitive BTE.

Stay safe, Dave

Big_Country, hit me up, trying to diy the tannerite on my farm.

I think you missed your opportunity. He posted that 3 years ago and hasn’t been seen in over a year.

They probably picked him up with a sponge somewhere...

lol hilarious. Hopefully not, but i gotcha.

Beware of the E.

When used as a binary target, Tannerite is legal and does not require a federal explosives license. Use the internet and search for "tannerite and the law". Your state may vary.

Hell I am happy with exploding golf balls on the range that magically fall out your pockets as you walk down to paint targets 300 yards - 600 yards poof then again I'm simple I love golf balls as targets want to try mentos on golf tees lol

Hell I am happy with exploding golf balls on the range that magically fall out your pockets as you walk down to paint targets 300 yards - 600 yards poof then again I'm simple I love golf balls as targets want to try mentos on golf tees lol
I shot a golf ball at 300 yards. It didn't explode. 308, 175 SMK, about 2625 MV. What are you using?

Stay safe, Dave
Can AN/NM/AL activate by shooting it? I was looking at some videos and some people said you would have to have some sort of small detonation cap to activate it? Basically a small explosion to activate the big explosion.

Can AN/NM/AL activate by shooting it? I was looking at some videos and some people said you would have to have some sort of small detonation cap to activate it? Basically a small explosion to activate the big explosion.
Tannerite is interesting because a high-velocity rifle bullet sets it off - no cap needed. In my experience, 22 LR and 9mm won't do it. 223 and above within 200 yards will do it. I have not tried it beyond that range. We were using plastic 1-pound butter containers.

NM as is nitromethane?

Look dude, you're asking questions about combinations of ingredients that when mixed are classified as high explosives and require the proper licensing.

Info only, AN/AL/NM is used for seismic exploration in offshore drilling and does require a blasting cap, and I believe a booster, to achieve proper detonation.

Reactions: shoot_steel17
NM as is nitromethane?

Look dude, you're asking questions about combinations of ingredients that when mixed are classified as high explosives and require the proper licensing.

Info only, AN/AL/NM is used for seismic exploration in offshore drilling and does require a blasting cap, and I believe a booster, to achieve proper detonation.
Really guy. First of all only if a certain amount is used. I'm talking half pound. Secondly, next your going to say its illegal to purchase tannerite from Coastal farms. This half pound bomb is much less lethal than the rifle I'm shooting it with. Next your gonna say guns are to dangerous and should be illegal. Proper saftey is key to any dangerous hobby. Trump 20/20 keep our Second Amendment rights strong

I'll break it down simpler:

The legal mix is ammonium nitrate and micronized aluminum. Thats why it's called "binary" bi = 2, and yes it is legal in certain amounts when mixed.

If you add nitromethane to the mixture, that will make it into a regulated high explosive.

Whatever you're doing, be safe and have fun.

I'll break it down simpler:

The legal mix is ammonium nitrate and micronized aluminum. Thats why it's called "binary" bi = 2, and yes it is legal in certain amounts when mixed.

If you add nitromethane to the mixture, that will make it into a regulated high explosive.

Whatever you're doing, be safe and have fun.

👍 It's not something I'm absolutely planning on making it's just nice to know how things work. Plus I don't know where to find nitromethane all I know is online it is way too expensive for my cheap ass.

When we watch movies where people blow stuff up, we see these huge fireballs of orange and black. Think Nakatomi Plaza in Die Hard. By the way, that was the Fox building in Beverly Hills on the SW corner of Olympic and Avenue of the Stars. It was under construction at the time and used as a set for that movie. In real life, explosives don't do that. In most cases there is no "smoke" or flash at all, just a helluva bang. I read somewhere that the movie stunt guys use naptha to get that big orange and black fireball. I'm thinking that nitromethane would not create the fireball and the ATF has recently shown that their sense of humor is even more limited than normal. Let's all try to stay out of jail.

When we watch movies where people blow stuff up, we see these huge fireballs of orange and black. Think Nakatomi Plaza in Die Hard. By the way, that was the Fox building in Beverly Hills on the SW corner of Olympic and Avenue of the Stars. It was under construction at the time and used as a set for that movie. In real life, explosives don't do that. In most cases there is no "smoke" or flash at all, just a helluva bang. I read somewhere that the movie stunt guys use naptha to get that big orange and black fireball. I'm thinking that nitromethane would not create the fireball and the ATF has recently shown that their sense of humor is even more limited than normal. Let's all try to stay out of jail.
How to get a fireball. Light a flare set it next to a propane tank and shoot the tank. Not something I would try but looks cool on YouTube.

Yep, last I checked "Tannerite" and similar binary explosives are only legal because they are 1) comprised of two ingredients or less and 2) not mixed before transport.

When you start mixing three or more ingredients together, you are now in regulated-explosive territory. Doesn't matter how you plan to detonate it.

Reactions: AccuSol-ERN
Yes. Yes. Yes.

The above posts are what I was getting at.

When you starting dicking with the approved recipe.....you are treading on questionable territory.....and not one I am willing to put myself in.

Pretty sure the AN/NM/AL recipe can be found in the Paladin Press "Homemade C4 Handbook."

Notice it wasn't called the "Homemade Legal Tannerite Handbook."

Just my $.02

Reactions: camocorvette
Tannerite is interesting because a high-velocity rifle bullet sets it off - no cap needed. In my experience, 22 LR and 9mm won't do it. 223 and above within 200 yards will do it. I have not tried it beyond that range. We were using plastic 1-pound butter containers.
I use a HMR ( Hornady magnum rimfire) in 17 caliber to set off Tannerite. Sure Shot exploding targets are my favorite, but its no longer available in Canada. Sure Shot also has a 22 cal sensitive target, I shot a lot of that stuff over the years. I got the .17 HMR, mostly to set off binary. I use CCI A17 @ 2650 FPS.

Essentially any round travelling more than 2000 fps will detonate binary. at least that is my understanding.

Stay safe,

Last edited: