• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Target Cam System w/ High-Gain Antenna

Re: DIY Target Cam System w/ High-Gain Antenna

Something I've been wondering about for awhile now. Thanks for posting!

I ordered my Transmitter and Reciever from DinoDirect. I got the 2.4 ghz 1000mw Transmitter instead of the 700mw that was posted on 6br bulletin. DinoDirect is running a sale on them for $51.00 Fedex'd to the house. thats $130.00 in saving. I asked them also if another antenna could be used if desired and they said yes....cant wait till they come in.

Tbeasley,

Which model did you order? I am looking on dinodirect and there are a few different ones.

Please note that there are SEVERAL connector options for the antenna. I strongly suggest that you call and discuss your interests with a knowledgable rep. The solution may well be different if you are using a desktop computer vs a notebook vs some other computing device. In particular, the interface cable, a possible adapter you'll need at the computer end, etc.

tbeasley.........
What kind of range are you getting with it?
Is the antenna you're using the large one?
How are you powering everything?

while i did read the review in the link, I'm curious about what
others are doing in their setup.

thanks

be aware that signal strength, enhanced by directional antennae, is nice and required for longer distance WiFi, but somewhere 1000 yards you start to need to tweak MAC slot timing, which was optimized for true local area networking of 100's of feet. To do this you need Wifi h/w that supports that tweaking, and most of them do not I suspect.

I made up a cheapo version of a range cam using a Hawkins dish antenna (size of a saucer plate) and it got me to 550 yards OK with decent detail. However, I concluded it was too much hassle, didn't extend well to what I needed, which was a mile, and thus it was easier to hang AR steel, and look for hits on that.

If you are really intent on shooting paper, then a range cam can be very helpful as it's hard to see things like 223 holes out to 500+ yards no matter what spotting scope you have.

So your only getting 300' range? "audio and video signal can be transmitted effectively and clearly within 100m range" That came from the website you purchased from..
Im deff interested in a Target camera setup, but need more info before I drop the $$$ on one. Im sure one of the 50k plus members on the Hide have one lol..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbeasley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the following;
HuaXin™ 2.4GHz 4 Channel CCTV Wireless AV Receiver and 1000mW Transmitter 2.4G-1W
by HuaXin UPC: 897803002740 SKU: A12170000V

http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-4-Chann...er-2-4G-1W.html </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about using this for a system a few months back.

1000mW 2.4 ghz

</div></div>

That website sells some ok stuff. I do a lot of R/C airplane flying and lots of stuff they have is produced way cheap but some of the stuff works well. That system will probably work fine for what you want to do. Just keep in mind that ground range will be shorter than aerial range.

There are other first person view flying systems like that ones that cost more and work very well for several miles but they are going to cost more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about using this for a system a few months back.

1000mW 2.4 ghz

</div></div>

That website sells some ok stuff. I do a lot of R/C airplane flying and lots of stuff they have is produced way cheap but some of the stuff works well. That system will probably work fine for what you want to do. Just keep in mind that ground range will be shorter than aerial range.

There are other first person view flying systems like that ones that cost more and work very well for several miles but they are going to cost more. </div></div>

Interesting... can you point me to those first person systems that work out to several miles?

So what would you say would work well for what we shooters are trying to accomplish? Obviously I dont wanna waste $300 on "ok" stuff, when I can spend $400 for alot better if you know what I mean..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about using this for a system a few months back.

1000mW 2.4 ghz

</div></div>

There are other first person view flying systems like that ones that cost more and work very well for several miles but they are going to cost more. </div></div>

Anyone have a recommendation for a camera to go with the system?

You can get the low end HD Hero 960 GoPro for $150 with mounts and stuff. Its their cheap option but it still works great and you can always use it for other stuff which is always a plus. Once you handle one and see what it can do it pretty much sells itself.

It only has a range of 80'. This system may be good for a pellet gun, but who would "daisy chain" 4 of these systems together and spend $1600 to see what they are hitting at 100 yards? Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found this as a almost complete turnkey system. Has the batteries and chargers to make it portable. Does 1080p.

http://www.eyeofmine.com/gopro/hd/live/index.html

You don't have to use a hero camera. Any camera with the RCA output will work. </div></div>

lol 80', pretty worthless.

this dino-d is an analog modulation system, which means the video may be snowy and certainly lower resolution than a digital transmission. Be interesting to see what range you get with it.

You are looking at the wrong one, scroll down to the

Wireless Package 2A

it is 1000Mw has a distance of 1/4 miles Line of sight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It only has a range of 80'. This system may be good for a pellet gun, but who would "daisy chain" 4 of these systems together and spend $1600 to see what they are hitting at 100 yards? Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found this as a almost complete turnkey system. Has the batteries and chargers to make it portable. Does 1080p.

You don't have to use a hero camera. Any camera with the RCA output will work. </div></div> </div></div>

OOOOPS! My bad... How does package 2B differ from 2A? I see the only thing is the Ghz is different. Does the 1.2-1.3Ghz offer more of a range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are looking at the wrong one, scroll down to the

Wireless Package 2A

it is 1000Mw has a distance of 1/4 miles Line of sight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It only has a range of 80'. This system may be good for a pellet gun, but who would "daisy chain" 4 of these systems together and spend $1600 to see what they are hitting at 100 yards? Just my .02

You don't have to use a hero camera. Any camera with the RCA output will work. </div></div> </div></div> </div></div>

I must be blind I could not find it in the description. How can you tell if it is analog or digital modulation?

http://www.dinodirect.com/2-4GHz-Wireless-8-Ch-Receiver-8-Ch-Receiver-Security-System-SR-2-4G3W.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this dino-d is an analog modulation system, which means the video may be snowy and certainly lower resolution than a digital transmission. Be interesting to see what range you get with it. </div></div>

because it says it accepts an NTSC camera output, unless I misread something... that means analog signalling. As opposed to an HDMI or USB or some other digital data input.

All the transmitters I found that has the range use the composite cable which to my understanding is an analog signal.

the only one that uses digital has crappy range 80'

HD Wireless kit 1080p uncompressed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">because it says it accepts an NTSC camera output, unless I misread something... that means analog signalling. As opposed to an HDMI or USB or some other digital data input. </div></div>

yes, composite = NTSC = analog. Which is not necessarily bad, say for watching hits on a steel target which might feature a nice splatter pattern. But for looking at 223 holes in plain target paper, NTSC may very well not be enough resolution.

We need someone to get together a cam system and test it to see what it is capable of doing..

I have put together a cam system to look for holes in paper targets when I was doing load development using ladders. The nice thing about digital image transmission is that 1 yard or 1000 yards, it's the same image quality, maybe at lower frame rate, but that's fine. Whereas for analog NTSC transmission, distance will cause the image to degrade somewhat with distance.

Problem with digital is using WiFi to send the bits... as I said previously long range wifi is doable, but not for the technically faint at heart. Will take some budget to acquire, test and select various components from antennae, APs, cameras, etc...h and lots of time and big open space to test. I haven't yet seen a decent system off the shelf. Maybe one of those model airplane video systems could work.

Well, what exactly do you have? Price, componets, pictures etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have put together a cam system to look for holes in paper targets when I was doing load development using ladders. The nice thing about digital image transmission is that 1 yard or 1000 yards, it's the same image quality, maybe at lower frame rate, but that's fine. Whereas for analog NTSC transmission, distance will cause the image to degrade somewhat with distance.

Problem with digital is using WiFi to send the bits... as I said previously long range wifi is doable, but not for the technically faint at heart. Will take some budget to acquire, test and select various components from antennae, APs, cameras, etc...h and lots of time and big open space to test. I haven't yet seen a decent system off the shelf. Maybe one of those model airplane video systems could work. </div></div>

I had a 802.11n (single stream) router with a DLink webcam, powered by a 12V battery with 110V inverter. The DLink webcam was like 720i type of resolution.
This was the remote end, positioned at the target.

At my shooting end, I had a Macbook pro, but I did not use the internal WiFI, but an external 802.11n Hawking USB dish antenna adapter. Presumably this provided some directional gain. I tried this at a max of 550 yards, and it worked fine. The image on my PC, provided by the webcam (it had an HTTP server inside it pushing MJPEG images), showed up like 2 seconds after I would fire, which was nice, because you could take the shot, then look casually over to the laptop screen, and then your hole would magically appear on the image of the target paper.

I never got to test this out beyond 550 yards because I focused on developing loads using OCW method at like 100-200 yards. And then for measuring groups, I simply paint steel, then shoot at it, measuring the nice hit marks just like they was paper.

So my target cam system took about $250 total to buy new at Frys but I already had most of this laying around my house already.

Any kind of video camera with optical zoom ~ 100$ if used or free if owned
video transmitter and receiver something like that ~ 40$
Yagi antenna for extra range (homebuilt from can -canteena) or something like this ~ 20$
LCD screen can be pc monitor (with 12v dc power) or something like this ~ 50-100$
12V battery or battery packs for power (plenty on ebay) ~ 50$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
video transmitter and receiver something like that ~ 40$ </div></div>From EBAY-<span style="color: #FF0000"> 1.Wireless transmission up to 100 meters.. Whats the point in only 100 meters?</span>

Who gives a sh*t what you need to do lol.. what components do you have? Pictures?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR10 sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to get out and test mine past 600. </div></div>

I think you need a ham radio license for that. During my searching online I came across a thread that thought 1000mw was the highest you could go and stay legal without a license.

Who can tell if you are running a higher wattage than 1W? Do these 2W+ systems put out a beacon or something lol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shot1kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you need a ham radio license for that. During my searching online I came across a thread that thought 1000mw was the highest you could go and stay legal without a license. </div></div>

The transmitter i've provided link for can with yagi antenna transmit to more than one km. It has been tested and it works perfectly. The only minus is that it gets pretty hot and you must never run it without antenna or its toast...

About wattage ~2W with good antenna (~15dbi) and short cable will get you to a mile. Antennas can also be home built (google for cantenna) so this should be an non issue if you're a tiny bit handy with tools.

PS: Dunno about US laws regarding transmitting wattage here in EU i think its 5W for 2.4 and 5.2 ghz...but i'm unsure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lookie lookie...... http://www.asianwolf.com/cctv-spycamera-3000ma.html </div></div>

Check for the same on ebay (links and listings change a lot) but generally a search for 3W video transmitter will yield good results
smile.gif

If money were not a problem it would be wiser to invest into IP based system with wireless cam with optical zoom (the most expensive component) as you can cover more than one target with such device.