• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Target Camera system

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    Has anyone built or can give some advice on building a long range target camera system? I'm looking at building a system where I can see hits on a target out to at least a mile, ideally up to about 2000 yds. I've researched most of the common commercial systems and am not impressed with their range specs. If someone has a good list of components, plans, specs and such on how to build this, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Problem is you are going to have to use cellular at that distance.
    Most WiFi are line if sight and average 400 yards on a pringles can.
    Cellphones and live video is going to be your answer

Has anyone built or can give some advice on building a long range target camera system? I'm looking at building a system where I can see hits on a target out to at least a mile, ideally up to about 2000 yds. I've researched most of the common commercial systems and am not impressed with their range specs. If someone has a good list of components, plans, specs and such on how to build this, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    You in the 493rd?

try this old thread

My Target Vision will work to at least a mile every time. At that range you will need a wide angle lens or step the camera back a fair way to capture all the ways you can miss the target.

Interesting, my fulltime job is video and I have been interested in trying to figure out something to use for a target cam, as well as for recording video as well. Was debating just making a metal box to put a GoPro in and figure out a way to send video wirelessly farther than the onboard transmission on the GP

You in the 493rd?

try this old thread

Nope, retired now. Used to be in the 492nd and then the 336th x2. BITD.

Thanks for the thread. I'll check it out.

Interesting, my fulltime job is video and I have been interested in trying to figure out something to use for a target cam, as well as for recording video as well. Was debating just making a metal box to put a GoPro in and figure out a way to send video wirelessly farther than the onboard transmission on the GP
    I was thinking the exact same thing. If I could WIFI the gopro to a transmitter that could then boost the wifi further out, that would be cool. But I know nothing about this stuff. I can barely spel wifi. ;-)

I've tested my SME Bullseye 1 mile target camera out to 1.2 miles on level ground. Works good! I really like the app software, tracks your shots one at time and does MOA calcs and scope adjustment calcs if you want.

With directional antennas the common 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands can reach many many miles (15+) It does require elevation on one end to do that though. Just about every rural Wireless ISP is doing just this.