• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY weighted buffer / BCG

Baddog0302

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2014
While recouping from major surgery I have been researching DIY projects to add Wt. to the OME buffer or adding Wt. to the BCG.The store bought heavy buffers weight between 9.5 and 10.0 OZ. depending on the Manufacture RRA Lar 8 and Armalite AR 10 T.
I know the easiest way will be to shell out $ 150.00 to $ 200.00.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of such projects
Thank you
V/r

Why do you want to add weight to the carrier or buffer? Is this to avoid using an adjustable gas block?

In my experience, 308 AR rifles can benefit from going the other way, i.e. lightening the bolt carrier to reduce reciprocating mass. My carrier is now the same weight as an M16 carrier, and with a carbine buffer and gas adjusted correctly, the rifle is less picky about shooting position and easier to shoot well.

Geissele tungsten buffer weights.

I take it the weight fits inside the buffer ?? To bad they don't list the weight, the OD, and the demolitions so one could actually determine if they would add the desirable amount of weight

You will find that most of the tungsten weights weigh around an ounce and a half each. An Amazon seller list a pack of 3 for 27 bucks.

I take it the weight fits inside the buffer ?? To bad they don't list the weight, the OD, and the demolitions so one could actually determine if they would add the desirable amount of weight

Doesn't sound like you know much about AR buffers. This will help you understand. http://thearguys.com/ar-facts/difference-ar-15-buffers/ As you see
, all buffers have a series of weights inside of them. Varying combinations of steel and tungsten weights and spacers determine the total buffer weight. You don't mention what caliber and stock configuration you are working with. The article I linked to doesn't address the AR10 buffers but there are 2 different lengths depending on the stock setup. Hope this helps.

Doesn't sound like you know much about AR buffers. This will help you understand. http://thearguys.com/ar-facts/difference-ar-15-buffers/ As you see
, all buffers have a series of weights inside of them. Varying combinations of steel and tungsten weights and spacers determine the total buffer weight. You don't mention what caliber and stock configuration you are working with. The article I linked to doesn't address the AR10 buffers but there are 2 different lengths depending on the stock setup. Hope this helps.

Thank you , interesting & informative article. Both AR's are in 308 one an Armalite AR-10 T, and nib RRA LAR-8.{ Rifle length stocks} As I said in the beginning, I'm recouping and use a walker to get around my house, As soon as I can I'll get both AR's out of the safe,I'll see what they have inside inside them, and see how many Tungsten "pills" they will hold, and go from there

Why do you want to add weight to the carrier or buffer? Is this to avoid using an adjustable gas block?

In my experience, 308 AR rifles can benefit from going the other way, i.e. lightening the bolt carrier to reduce reciprocating mass. My carrier is now the same weight as an M16 carrier, and with a carbine buffer and gas adjusted correctly, the rifle is less picky about shooting position and easier to shoot well.

I added weight to mine because I couldn't get it to run reliably with a suppressor.....even with an adjustable gas block. The bolt was unlocking prematurely and my brass was getting beat to hell. Extra weight in the buffer helps the bolt stay closed a little longer so the brass can shrink back down and make extraction easier.

I added weight to mine because I couldn't get it to run reliably with a suppressor.....even with an adjustable gas block. The bolt was unlocking prematurely and my brass was getting beat to hell. Extra weight in the buffer helps the bolt stay closed a little longer so the brass can shrink back down and make extraction easier.

If the gas was tuned correctly, the bolt shouldn't be unlocking prematurely. What am I missing?

I use mine with a suppressor as well...