• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing DIY West Texas Aoudad success with Desert Tech

o2bwest

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2018
Had an awesome adventure in the mountains of West Texas. Good friends and I connected with 2 good rams. Literally laid them down within feet of each other. Both rams were killed with my Desert Tech SRS A2 in 6.5 CM. Both shot through the shoulder at 300yds with 147 ELD. These animals are notorious for taking a hit but the well placed creedmoor was good medicine.
IMG_3173 (1).jpg
66122889_123818498852899_2071585945177554944_n.jpg

Those things are so cool! That must have been an incredible hunt!

Do you eat them? Wat dey tate like? Goat?

How was it hunting with George Bush? Did you talk politics or keep it light?

The meat is in the freezer. I have a feeling it’s going to be there a while.

George is cool. He says “Mission accomplishes” every time he takes a piss though. Kinda weird.

Great work!

I’ve never spent any time in West Texas. How did you guys hunt them? I’m guessing a lot of driving and spotting from the truck and then closing the distance on foot.
Great looking rams!

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
Great work!

I’ve never spent any time in West Texas. How did you guys hunt them? I’m guessing a lot of driving and spotting from the truck and then closing the distance on foot.
Great looking rams!

No driving on this place. We had to hike up into the foothills below a range that is known to hold sheep. We started glassing as soon as there was enough light. We found a group of rams pretty quickly across a canyon on a big cliff face. We found these 2 rams while we were making a move on the first group we found glassing.

No driving on this place. We had to hike up into the foothills below a range that is known to hold sheep. We started glassing as soon as there was enough light. We found a group of rams pretty quickly across a canyon on a big cliff face. We found these 2 rams while we were making a move on the first group we found glassing.

Wow, sounds like an awesome hunt! How tough was the pack-out? How much do you think the meat from one of those weighed? I think I might have to add an aoudad hunt to the to do list!

We only took the straps and boned out hams. I don't know what it weighed. The cape and head alone were pretty damn heavy. The animals are about the size of a big mule deer buck but their hide is a lot heavier. The pack out was about 2 miles and mostly downhill. Not terrible. Could have been a lot worse if we had continued after the first bunch deeper in the mountains. We got pretty lucky the way it worked out.

Reactions: Chesapeake
Those are 2 really good rams, and yes if Shit placement is not spot on they can take some shots. I was guiding hunts in the hill country and seen a guy out 3 300 Win mags and I tracked him for 2 miles

Curious about the meat, I was told the coyotes won’t eat it. Let us know how it tastes. Aoudads make a fun hunt and west Texas has plenty to choose from. Lucky enough to have access to a large ranch a little north of Alpine that we hunt yearly, awesome country. Hogs are becoming a problem there so we’ve been helping out when we spot them, makes for good long range practice.
Anyway nice rams and I’m sure you had an enjoyable hunt.

I would be interested in a hunt like that with my sons. Any info on a pay for access ranch or property would be appreciated.

I would be interested in a hunt like that with my sons. Any info on a pay for access ranch or property would be appreciated.

I wish I had something to offer. I am very fortunate to have a place to hunt. The big outfitters have leased up almost all the sheep hunting country in Texas. It is very hard to find a place to hunt DIY if you aren’t already on a lease. I do know some great Outfitters that I would certainly recommend.

Reactions: 260284
We used these guys a few yrs ago. We went 3 for 4 hunters. It was a blast.

Reactions: 260284
@Fishkat @Fig
The meat of the big rams that the OP shot will probably be pretty rank. Those big ones stink. I shot my first two Audad in January of this hear but they were young. The meat is mild with no gamey taste or smell. I ended up making sausage with it. You kinda have to treat them like hogs. If you walk up to it after the kill and can smell it, let it lay.