• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DMR shoot at Peacemaker

Gypsy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2017
Anyone else shooting this next weekend. Shooting issued gear. 1st time got questions.

I’ll be there. Haven’t shot that particular match before but have shot other gas gun matches.

i'll be there, looking forward, have done it before so feel free to ask away. links below for anyone interested.

Any idea on round count? I’m shooting for 300.

The other gas gun matches I’ve shot have been scored the same as bolt gun with points coming from hits on target.

Is the peacemaker match going to be scored more like an IDPA match with time being the critical factor?

No idea yet but 300 is a safe number, i think the most i shot in a match is about 240. That was when there were so.e unlimited round count stages though.

Last year was hits with time factored in, missed targets are a huge penalty though. I can't remember the exact penalty but its significant to dissuade people from gaming the stage. It's a new MD this year so I'm not sure how it'll play out. My advice would be to not dawdle on the targets.

Keep your eye out for notifications a day or two before the match also, the MD will put put the stage descriptions up on PractiScore. From there you can work out the round count if it doesn't tell you outright.

Thanks,

What size target will we generally be shooting at? I will be bringing my precision AR that I’ve shot in bolt gun matches. But I’d rather not have to load to .01 grain counting kernels of 8208 with tweezers for each round if I don’t have to.

Generally, the target dimensions have been pretty generous in the past, think at least 2 MOA. There may have been some MOA targets on a couple of stages. That being said, I've only shot factory match in tactical division and have done pretty good over the years. If you're rifle is shooting about 1 MOA consistently, you'll be good to go.

Will there be any pistol stages? Any specialized gear needed? Bringing a tripod with a pig saddle. I have a run and gun and a few squeeze bags. Any need for a game changer or pillow bag, buying them anyway just running out of time. I found some stages on Youtube looks like a lot more hold over than dialing.

I don't believe there are any pistol stages this year. As far as specialized gear you can bring the tripod I used it on one stage last year but that being said you can probably borrow one from a squad mate. Definitely bring something like the game changer and pillow bag, they will be useful. Something to keep in mind with regards to the tripods and such is that typically you have to start the stage with them collapsed and/or in hand so set up is completely on the clock. I'm taking my tripod but I'm also going to try a set of bipod leg extensions so I have the option depending on the stage.

With regards to holding over vs. dialing there are some stages where it is more advantageous to hold over than to dial but that really depends on the course of fire and the size of the targets. There was a stage last year where we had to transition from a target on one hill to a target on the other hill. The difference in their ranges wasn't extreme but there was no way you could dial back and forth, get your hits, and come in under par. I dialed for the long range target and held under for the closer one. My reasoning was that I wanted to be able to hold level on the LR target and at close range I could sacrifice some precision using hold unders because it was larger.

The YouTube videos are a good way to give you an idea of what to expect terrain and stage wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMP!
Match was a lot of fun. I can't believe I didn't start going to these sooner, I love shooting gas gun. Big thanks to Forest for putting it on, the ROs for putting up with my squad, and the sponsors for their donations. I thought the entry fee was low for a 2 day match. Turned out it was subsidized by the NRA to promote the sport. So big thanks to them as well.

My DMR match AAR:

I shot in Tactical division with my homebrew SPR using Black Hills 77gr OTM going at 2,773 fps from the 18" barrel. The optic was a Nightforce 4-16X42 ATACR F1 with the Mil-R reticle in a 20 MOA NF mount.

I felt that the magnification range of the NF was just about perfect since I never felt like I wanted more magnification and it didn't seem to hamper me any. There's not a lot I can say about the rifle itself, it ran like a sewing machine during the match and it was definitely more accurate than I was. That being said not long ago I reconfigured the lower with an ambi-safety and Ergo Deluxe grip and I certainly don't regret it. The palm swells on the grip make it super comfortable when I'm shooting with my thumb laid along the side and the ambi-safety makes it a more natural motion to put the rifle into action.

As far as the match itself I've shot these matches for a little over six years now and there were a lot of good things about the match which made it enjoyable for me. There were some familiar barricades in use but there were also some new ones that I just started seeing recently. Some of these you'd have to see for yourself but there was the Amish Sawhorse, basically some big logs fashioned into a navel height a-frame structure. There was also the wood teepee thing that we had to use for support on another stage, and of course the always fun culvert pipes at a couple of stages. Those props had dimensions that were a little weird so it took some creative ways of negotiating them and getting the hits, didn't always work though.

Gear wise I used the hell out of my Game Changer, it got used as both a front and rear bag with no issues. The Armageddon Gear Fat Bag as equally as useful on many stages and I think I'm basically just going to use those two bags from here on out. I may look into that new lightweight fill for the GC though. Other than that my Kestrel worked great, considering I'd done no truing with the ammo prior to the match. I simply updated the IMI Razor Core profile with the MV I got from the Black Hills and was still able to clean the 800+ yard stages.

One of my few regrets from the match was not using my tripod as much as I could have because when I did use it, it made absolutely made all the difference in the world. On the Zeiss Parapet stage we had to hit a target at 330 yards 10 times from behind the parapet wall but we had to stay back from the wall. The stage was tailor made for tripods and as soon as I locked the tripod in and got my crosshairs on target I laid into it. Pretty much everyone used a tripod but I did see a few poor souls go without and they quickly found out hard it can be. One guy literally went at it in an unsupported kneeling position and the first words out of his mouth were "I should've used the tripod".

Some of my other regrets are not following my own advice and basically pushing bad shots in the interest of trying to get a lower time. I know for a fact that several of my missed targets were simply because I was not believing what I was seeing and not making the necessary correction in time. Basically I need to keep working on my fundamentals and drive that home in my mind for the next time.

To wrap things up for those that might be interested, I shot 242 rifle rounds, 27 pistol rounds, and dropped a total of 17 targets over the course of the two days. I seriously hope that DMR matches come back to PNTC, they are a ton of fun and I look forward to more of them.

My DMR match AAR:

I shot in Tactical division with my homebrew SPR using Black Hills 77gr OTM going at 2,773 fps from the 18" barrel. The optic was a Nightforce 4-16X42 ATACR F1 with the Mil-R reticle in a 20 MOA NF mount.

View attachment 7096917

I felt that the magnification range of the NF was just about perfect since I never felt like I wanted more magnification and it didn't seem to hamper me any. There's not a lot I can say about the rifle itself, it ran like a sewing machine during the match and it was definitely more accurate than I was. That being said not long ago I reconfigured the lower with an ambi-safety and Ergo Deluxe grip and I certainly don't regret it. The palm swells on the grip make it super comfortable when I'm shooting with my thumb laid along the side and the ambi-safety makes it a more natural motion to put the rifle into action.

As far as the match itself I've shot these matches for a little over six years now and there were a lot of good things about the match which made it enjoyable for me. There were some familiar barricades in use but there were also some new ones that I just started seeing recently. Some of these you'd have to see for yourself but there was the Amish Sawhorse, basically some big logs fashioned into a navel height a-frame structure. There was also the wood teepee thing that we had to use for support on another stage, and of course the always fun culvert pipes at a couple of stages. Those props had dimensions that were a little weird so it took some creative ways of negotiating them and getting the hits, didn't always work though.

View attachment 7096918

Gear wise I used the hell out of my Game Changer, it got used as both a front and rear bag with no issues. The Armageddon Gear Fat Bag as equally as useful on many stages and I think I'm basically just going to use those two bags from here on out. I may look into that new lightweight fill for the GC though. Other than that my Kestrel worked great, considering I'd done no truing with the ammo prior to the match. I simply updated the IMI Razor Core profile with the MV I got from the Black Hills and was still able to clean the 800+ yard stages.

One of my few regrets from the match was not using my tripod as much as I could have because when I did use it, it made absolutely made all the difference in the world. On the Zeiss Parapet stage we had to hit a target at 330 yards 10 times from behind the parapet wall but we had to stay back from the wall. The stage was tailor made for tripods and as soon as I locked the tripod in and got my crosshairs on target I laid into it. Pretty much everyone used a tripod but I did see a few poor souls go without and they quickly found out hard it can be. One guy literally went at it in an unsupported kneeling position and the first words out of his mouth were "I should've used the tripod".

Some of my other regrets are not following my own advice and basically pushing bad shots in the interest of trying to get a lower time. I know for a fact that several of my missed targets were simply because I was not believing what I was seeing and not making the necessary correction in time. Basically I need to keep working on my fundamentals and drive that home in my mind for the next time.

To wrap things up for those that might be interested, I shot 242 rifle rounds, 27 pistol rounds, and dropped a total of 17 targets over the course of the two days. I seriously hope that DMR matches come back to PNTC, they are a ton of fun and I look forward to more of them.

I think I met you at the end of the day. Peter introduced us. Great shooting, I think you had the most "fastest times" of the match. There were a few stages that I smoked and thought no way anyone else was faster, only for you to have beaten that time.

I still don't understand how the scoring works. I know its your stage time, plus any penalty time for targets not hit, but where do points come in to play? I noticed on the scores some people had a lower time+penalty than someone else, but lower points overall?

In any case, I've shot gas gun matches before, but not this one and I really liked it. I really like the stage design and how its based on time and not just hits. If only I discovered it sooner.

ETA: This old girl is on her 5th Barrel. I was considering retiring her after this season but she ran flawlessly all weekend. Not one hiccup. I also considered swapping the March out for the new NX8 but the March was also flawless all weekend.

Attachments

• 84986BFD-FAC7-48FD-A462-698538A486D1.jpeg
    84986BFD-FAC7-48FD-A462-698538A486D1.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: cobra655
We definitely met at the end of the match but I didn't have the most fastest times of the match, you might be thinking of Brian, he was standing right next to me when Peter came over. Looking back through the stage results though and it does look like we were neck and neck through several of the stages. Brian shot like a house on fire though and just when I thought I had a good time, he'd shoot it in 10 seconds less, it was crazy.

I like that time is integrated into the score too but dang, those 30 second penalties were harsh haha.

similar to their prior dmr matches, this one was a lotta fun. the wind got me on a few stages out at frontier, as did some less than steady shooting positions. def need to work on that.

My DMR match AAR:

View attachment 7096917

View attachment 7096918

What did the target size end up being typically?

That's not an easy question to answer really because for the most part I don't even know what the target dimensions were and over 20 stages, you see all kinds of them but they were generous to say the least. I'd say a majority of the targets were in the 12"-16" diameter range if I had to put a number on it. For example, the 861 yard target was a full size IPSC, our target at 330 yards was 16" I think, and a lot of our mid-range stages with multiple targets had some 10" auto poppers but a lot of bigger MGM flasher targets and BC zone targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sixfivesavage
I was in squad 3. Great bunch. Had an awesome time. Getting new glass for a KIDD Ruger Hybrid to shoot the PRS 22. Learned a ton. Made some stupid mistakes. Wont use a 2nd focal plane in a match again. Pushed alot of not so steady shots. I will be back for the next one. Hope they can get the one day match going in the fall

I had the POS rock river. You guys got me to pull the pin on PRS22 matches.

I still don't understand how the scoring works. I know its your stage time, plus any penalty time for targets not hit, but where do points come in to play? I noticed on the scores some people had a lower time+penalty than someone else, but lower points overall?
it looks like they gave each stage 100 points. the stage winner got all 100 points. if the 2nd place guy on that stage shot it 10% slower including penalties, he got roughly 90% of the stage winner's score, or 90 points. then the points for each stage are added up. so points don't necessarily correlate with overall stage times and penalties because the times on each stage were different.

Scoreing was pretty easy. Raw score was when the last shot broke. 30sec for each target not engaged. So if you had 20 shots you burnt them in 10 seconds but left eight plates score was 250seconds. Most stages were cleaned in less than a minute. 7 of the top 12 shooters were in my squad 40ish seconds to clean a stage was not out of the ordinary. I know I had a bunch of stages that I used all 90 seconds and left 2-3 plates not engaged. Those were big ball kicks. I believe the winner only left 3 plates in 2 days which is incredible. Conditions were tough

We definitely met at the end of the match but I didn't have the most fastest times of the match, you might be thinking of Brian, he was standing right next to me when Peter came over. Looking back through the stage results though and it does look like we were neck and neck through several of the stages. Brian shot like a house on fire though and just when I thought I had a good time, he'd shoot it in 10 seconds less, it was crazy.

I like that time is integrated into the score too but dang, those 30 second penalties were harsh haha.

Ah ok, I thought you were Brian.

Just out of curiosity what barrels were you and Brian running?

Mine is a CLE Krieger that has about 1000 rounds on it, so in its prime. It held excellent accuracy out to the 815 target. By the time it got to 861 my bullet was transonic and it showed.

I was running a Rainier Arms 18" match barrel and Brian was running a JP 18" barrel. I'm contemplating swapping the barrel out for a WOA 18" SPR barrel for the 1:7 twist and play around with that. I couldn't have really asked any more of my RA barrel though, at 861 it was a hammer and after I made my initial corrections I was able to land 7 rounds in a row. Everywhere in between I could really only blame myself for the misses.

What projectile?

It took me 15 shots to get the 8 hits on that one. From this barrel, the last barrel, and my bolt gun the 77 TMK starts doing weird things when it hits 1300 FPS.

Luckily I still made the hits and didn’t go down a target. Still annoyed that the stage I actually practiced (PRS barricade) and could clean easily in practice is the one I bombed. Lesson learned: never practice ever.

I was shooting Black Hills factory match, a 77 gr cannelured SMK going 2,773 fps. I connected at 861 on my third shot and once I had my hold I was good to go, luckily the winds smiled favorably upon me.

One of my problems was that I didn't practice enough, I need to work on getting into position and settling down faster.