• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DMR struggles

Devildog

Professional Nail Bender
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 24, 2013
    The Land of Oz
    I’m in the market for a new semi auto dmr, I have my eye fixed on a scar 20s, the debate is between the 308 model and the 6.5 creedmoor. I know all about the ballistics of a creedmoor have mostly bolt guns in may flavors clear up to a 300 prc so I‘m not looking at this rifle as a long gun but a 300-800 yard rifle. I’m leaning toward the 308 even though it gives up some ballistics to the 6.5. I have lots of reloading components for the 308 I’d have to buy more brass and powder for a 6.5.

The 6.5 right now are a grand more and I don’t know that it’s worth that. Thinking I could run some 155’s to pick up some speed might level the playing field some between the two but I understand the 6.5 will start to walk away starting around 500-600 yards or so but not by much till it gets farther out. I’ve also considered the Seekins sp-10 in 6.5 creedmoor, I’ve read good things. My overall goal is to probably stick a nightforce 4x16x42 in mil-xt and work on quick target engagements just using the reticle. No I’m not military any longer, I’m not worried about zombies or shtf just think it would be fun to get proficient at random distance engagements and movers just for the hell of it. Laying on my belly going long can get a little old sometimes, just looking to break up the fun. Any thoughts or experience you’d like to pass on would be appreciated.

Last edited:
    JMHO, cheaper ammo (when it eventually becomes more available) is about the only advantage that I can see for the 308, unless that's just what you prefer.

I think all else tips in favor of the 6.5, other than the initial cost difference.

MM

.308 doesn’t even have cheaper ammo anymore if you stick to accurate ammo. American gunner 6.5 is $0.80 or less.

Get a 6.5

Scar is over rated get a seekins

How often do you plan on taking it to 800? A 308 from a 20 inch barrel is more than capable of doing ok at that distance. Personally think both rounds have their place but I really think if precision is a primary focus, I would lean towards the more efficient bullet.

What I would say is get the caliber you want and dont assume you will see stand alone barrels from FN for many years to come

I love my 6.5 creedmoor , I also love my 308 . Almost anything I can do with one gun I can do with the other to an extent where my 308 starts to lack my 6.5 is still off and running . I am still happy I went 308 first then to 6.5 , one of the biggest reasons is cost . Next came having to get used to holding for more wind as my 308 gets pushed around way more than my 6.5 does also elevation there is more drop to get used to with the 308 . Being able to experience the feeling that the 6.5 somehow was like cheating was really fun and feeling gods happiness when I shoot my 6.5 is priceless even with less barrel life . Good luck with what ever you get may it work as well as you want it to it sounds like your going to have a lot of fun either way .

In my experience the 6.5 beat the 308 in every category except for one. That is terminal performance on a living target. Before anyone gets butt-hurt I’m not calling the 6.5 a bad performer. My experience is on steel and in hunting of various critters. In my experience, I had found that the 30 cal bullet is a heavy hitter and just seems to kill better and faster.

It sounds like the OP is more looking at competition-style shooting. If that is the goal, I would give the edge to the 6.5. If you choose to crossover into hunting too, I would choose the 308. As you said, 155gr (specifically the ELD-m) can help bridge some gap if your rifle shoots them well.

No I’m not military any longer, I’m not worried about zombies or shtf just think it would be fun to get proficient at random distance engagements and movers just for the hell of it. Laying on my belly going long can get a little old sometimes, just looking to break up the fun. Any thoughts or experience you’d like to pass on would be appreciated.

I have mostly .308 guns, but a have a few others. What I have trouble doing is "thinking" in other guns besides .308. For instance, I'll get on a kick about shooting my .243 rifle for awhile. But to do so, I constantly refer to my dope charts and phone ballistics data for it. However, if it's .308, I pretty much have that stuff memorized. When I see a hog standing in the right-of-way at 500 yards, I automatically know it's 3.3 mils and BANG. For me, the decision would be based upon familiarity and how much trouble I want to spend learning a bunch of new dope.

Why a SCAR? I wanted one of these in a bad way when they were first shown to the Army. After they finally hit the shelves of gun shops and I was able to look at one closely, I felt like I just got a mouthful of old brake fluid. Really not one of FN's better ideas. It was a weapon designed around an Army spec (not always the best thought out ideas come from Army Ordnance Command), and it was designed with production costs (bean counters vs. engineers) as an overriding priority.

The last straw was when I asked a good friend of mine what his brother thought of them. My friends brother is a special forces officer in the Army (no details please) and his opinion was that he "wouldn't rely on a SCAR in a life threatening environment". Strike two.

The SCAR is a nifty piece for demonstrating how cheaply you can design a weapon that the Army will accept. Not on the level of a Jennings, more like on the level of an AR-16 or AR-18.

Just build a AR-10 clone. Huge afermarket and cheap magazines. Who wants to pay for $50 SCAR mags?

Last edited:
    Lots of good input, just getting back from the range. Shooting the creedmoor this morning reminded me of why it’s a great choice. Shooting out to 850 on a tripod was pretty easy this morning. Not sure why I‘ve been hung up on the scar I had a few they seem solid and the Scar s looked to be also. Of course the problem with FN is parts. Think I’ll call Seekins tomorrow and see what they have in the SP-10 in a 6.5, probably the smart thing to do. Saves some coin also over a scar. Thanks for the comments!