• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do-all boots

300wmSlick

Slick
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
I pretty much wear my boots every where I go, from the woods, to dates with the wife, and even to church when I make it there. Year round, 7 days a week. I normally wear a set of Red Wings 8" lace-up style of boots and have tried a few different models of 8" lace-ups from them but it bugs me how when I have to squat down on the ground my toes always end up bunched up and squeezed together.
Well not too long ago I had an ad from Vitkos and I started looking at some of there boots. I noticed that the price point was around what I was paying for Red Wing boots but I wanted to ask and see if anyone on the Hide had used a pair before? How did you like them? Did they hold up?
Also, just to clarify I am NOT wanting these to be "tacti-cool" LOL
Thanks in advance,
John

I'm about the same, if I go my boots are going too. Thorogood boots have been the best I've ever put on. I've had two pair of USA made Danners and they were disappointing.

I have a pair of Lowa hunter boots. They are the best I’ve ever used. VERY comfortable. Warm, but not overly hot. Had them for 4 years. Used them in Alaska twice, Canada twice, Argentina and some local hunts. They are a little heavy (4.5 pounds), but very durable. They are more expensive than Red Wings, but I’ve worn them in some very rough terrain and have lasted. I’ll buy another pair when these finally get worn out in 10-20 years... LOL

Reactions: HogsLife
I hike a lot as well as work in my boots and they are essentially all I wear unless I'm in the gym. In the last five or six years I have gone through several pairs of Coves, Asolos and two pair of Salawa approach shoes (awesome "shoe".) I really liked the Asolo Fugetive. A touch heavy if your not carrying a load but at 230+# that doesn't bother me. The color scheme may be off putting if your going out but I like them and almost always wear jeans so it's no big deal.

I got a wild hair up my ass and bought probably the last pair of Danner Crater Rims in 13R in the US. Damn good looking boot but even heavier than the Fugetive and I have to manually push the gusset in the right boot in when I lace them to keep it from riding on top of my foot. It's a good boot, but I'll be going back to the Asolo.

None of these are worth a shit if it's below 30° f. I've had mild frostbite and my feet freeze in al of these, even with good morino socks.

I’ve been wearing Asolos for years, mostly the now discontinued GTX series. I can work outside all day with no problem. I’m trying out the flame(?) model now and they are even more comfortable. Sierra trading post has good deals on Asolos if you can find your model and size.

Most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Just ordered my 2nd pair. First ones lasted about 5 years and I wear them about 180 days a year. I might have put the wrong link, mine are soft toe.

I've got Asolo GTX's. Not sure why I bought a second pair. They are the most uncomfortable overpirced pita boots I've worn. I'll take a pair of 606 Redwings any day. Or some Slip on Peco's.

Lol at the boots that last years, guess I need a different job. $300 USA made Danners on my feet now that are DONE and right at a year old. I'll be going back to Thorogoods.

Never heard of Vitkos but I looked them up and then seem soft for a long hard wearing boot at least to me. And the sole looks like it would not perform across varied terrain. But I could be wrong. I hope they are successful though being a veteran company but its hard times for retailers.

If you want a pair of boots to last years, LaSporiva Makalu or Scarpa SL M3 updated to the Active. The Scarpa's have a high volume fit.

Lol at the boots that last years, guess I need a different job. $300 USA made Danners on my feet now that are DONE and right at a year old. I'll be going back to Thorogoods.

I really like my redwing boots and they were right around $290, theve made it two years but in my field it didn't take long (1 year) to wear through the water proofing.

My wife likes her uggs though... that's always a safe bet.

The best boots that I have ever seen are Meindl Softline TOP Gtx boots. You will have to order them and they run just barely on the small size. About 1/2 a US size. I used to get 500 bucks from work to buy boots with each year so I have tried a fair selection of boots. These are absolutely exceptional in every way. Get some Sno Seal and use it on them before you wear them though.

Schnees Beartooth (uninsulated). Have 100+ miles on mine after two seasons in Colorado and I will never buy another brand or model as long as these are made. Cannot recommend them enough. Do yourself a favor.

Have used them in CO and KS for Elk, Whitetail, and Turkey. Bomb proof.

edit: I wear my Redwing Moc Toe to the bar and church but they never make it off asphalt

old pair of military combat boots my father got for me at a px in Maryland in 1980 wore them till the souls wore out then found a cobbler to fix them wore them until 2011 . they were totally falling apart by then , that was a great boot . hiking , work , school , rock concerts , moshpits , climbing they did it all .

I pretty much wear my boots every where I go, from the woods, to dates with the wife, and even to church when I make it there. Year round, 7 days a week. I normally wear a set of Red Wings 8" lace-up style of boots and have tried a few different models of 8" lace-ups from them but it bugs me how when I have to squat down on the ground my toes always end up bunched up and squeezed together.
Well not too long ago I had an ad from Vitkos and I started looking at some of there boots. I noticed that the price point was around what I was paying for Red Wing boots but I wanted to ask and see if anyone on the Hide had used a pair before? How did you like them? Did they hold up?
Thanks in advance,
John
Get you some kenetreks. You won’t be disappointed and if taken care of they will outlast every boot you will ever have!

Reactions: bunsen27
I've got a pair of Lowa Caminos that I can wear comfortably everywhere. Kind of a do all boot for me. I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guides that had a long break in period compared to the Caminos, but are super comfortable and work like a horse.

I don't put the miles in rough terrain a bunch of you guys do but I'm on my 2nd pair of rocky "military style" c4t boots. First pair lasted 5 years with 3 of them being worn 3-6 days a week working cars doing a ton of walking/crawling on concrete, the new pair are about 6 months old and broken in very nicely.

Lows Renegades for me. Love em. Best hiking / hunting boot I’ve owned.

I've had a good experience with the Danner Pronghorns. I've got a couple years of hunting cat tails and hiking through shit and no complaints yet. I have no doubt some of the boots above could last longer or are better, but for weekend warrior work and the price they're good for me.

Concrete at the 9-5 I stick with Redwings.

I did not see it mentioned but if you guys are wearing boots day in and day out you will find that having two pair and switching daily will get you a lot more milage. Allowing boots to dry and air out prolongs life.

Reactions: FishinGuns
I've had a good experience with the Danner Pronghorns. I've got a couple years of hunting cat tails and hiking through shit and no complaints yet. I have no doubt some of the boots above could last longer or are better, but for weekend warrior work and the price they're good for me.

Concrete at the 9-5 I stick with Redwings.
Totally agree with the Redwing comment! Did a 23 mile hike one day and the only thing that didn't hurt on my body was my feet. I have been wearing a pair of Crispis Nevada GTX's lately but have not really put them to the test yet. Jury is still out.......

Never heard of Vitkos but I looked them up and then seem soft for a long hard wearing boot at least to me. And the sole looks like it would not perform across varied terrain. But I could be wrong. I hope they are successful though being a veteran company but its hard times for retailers.

If you want a pair of boots to last years, LaSporiva Makalu or Scarpa SL M3 updated to the Active. The Scarpa's have a high volume fit.

Have to agree with 45.308,
La Sportiva is the best ?I have used for about anything I can get into.
One pair of Pamirs and 3 pair of Makalu and they outlive all the other boots I’ve had

Reactions: 45.308
Thanks in advance,
John
I like the Lowa Tibet Hi. Good, solid boot. Used it all over the Rockies and the Cascades.

Well I went ahead and got a pair of the "Johnny Combat" boots from Viktos. Currently still in the break-in stage (which they actually felt pretty well broke-in when I got them) but I absolutely LOVE them so far. They have a good fit, they feel LIGHT on my feet, and my feet stay dry (except for when my feet sweat, but it was 98 degrees that day). They also don't bother my feet when I wear them for 9.5hrs straight on concrete at my work.
I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in the fall and winter here in Indiana during hunting season.

Get you some kenetreks. You won’t be disappointed and if taken care of they will outlast every boot you will ever have!

Ageed, I'm about 20 miles into my pair of Kenetreck Safari's and could not be happier with them.

This year they really expanded their line of non-hunting based boots with the various LPC models

Tore my Achilles tendon off my heel a few years back and have tried a helluva a lot of boots. Best I have found comfort support and stay together are Crispi boots - favorite is the Wyoming and the tall version might be called the Idaho.

I’ve worn Redwings and Carolinas the most. Like them both. I have some Justin’s now (never again). I’ve been meaning to try Hathorns for almost 20 years though. The farmers and ranchers in Carbon County MT swore by them. Their performance was pretty impressive, probably buy them next.

I’ve worn Redwings and Carolinas the most. Like them both. I have some Justin’s now (never again). I’ve been meaning to try Hathorns for almost 20 years though. The farmers and ranchers in Carbon County MT swore by them. Their performance was pretty impressive, probably buy them next.
Hawthorns look like something you would wear to a Renaissance festival lol

My everyday work boots are White's and have several pairs including Packer's, Smoke Jumpers and their low cut work boot. Excellent boots and can be rebuilt. For hunting in the mountains of NM, my goto boots are Kenetrec uninsulated Mountain Extreme. Best hunting boots I have ever worn.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I've heard of Red Wings, but none of the others, thanks for the info and enlightenment.

I work in construction and have worn almost every brand I can think of (red wing, georgia, gorilla, wolverine, russell, rocky, danner, thorogood, etc.) The work pretty much destroys a pair pretty quick. Tromping through mud, concrete and asphalt without a break takes it's toll. I wear a pair of Justin lace-up now with a wide toe box. I love them for work. Very comfortable and extremely durable all for about $120. Best hunting boots I've ever owned are Gorilla union made boots in a lace up. Just oiled them down in preparation for about their 8th season bird hunting.

The upper crust Danners can be rebuilt. If you like them, it's worth it. Not worth it, if you don't "over the top" like them. Nick's and White's are great if you like them. I've known guys who said they were good but wouldn't go back and have them rebuilt.

FWIW, I could only find a set of fire-fighting boots that VITCO sells. They must obviously offer other manufacturers boots for sale through their company.

I have 3 pairs of whites. Two have been rebuilt, the third I just got. The pair I just got are a set of Smoke jumpers cut to 8", they are fuking awesome. The other two pair are my climbing boots for work. Also awesome. Standing on hooks is like standing on the ground.

I have 3 pairs of whites. Two have been rebuilt, the third I just got. The pair I just got are a set of Smoke jumpers cut to 8", they are fuking awesome. The other two pair are my climbing boots for work. Also awesome. Standing on hooks is like standing on the ground.
Standing on climbing hooks hurts!! Good boots make it tolerable. Better boots moreso.

Im kind of torn on insulated boots for hunting? Dont want too much but want to keep warm. So I will ask 400g. or 800g its anywhere from 50-5 dregrees with 3700 elevation.

I have worn Red Wing work boots for years, most comfortable boots I have worn. There was a somewhat famous Appalacian hiker, Ed Garvey, who used the same Red Wing boots to do his thru hike decades ago. My issue with them is shallow tread depth. In muddy conditions (common on IR), I found them to give inadequite traction (wore them on volunteer work trips on IR). Any good leather boot takes time to break in as you found.

Im kind of torn on insulated boots for hunting? Dont want too much but want to keep warm. So I will ask 400g. or 800g its anywhere from 50-5 dregrees with 3700 elevation.
400 with proper socks should be adequate. Wool socks with a silk liner. I use Kennetrek socks with various degrees of insulation. If you use a silk liner with the warmest socks you should be more than good.

I wear Lowa Renegades for everyday wear and warm weather hiking/hunting. I'm on my second pair of Lowas because I wore out the soles on my first pair. For cold, wet and heavy packs, I wear Schnees Granite II's. They took about 50 miles to break in, but they're very warm and very comfortable. Make sure to put a layer of Obenauf's on your leather boots before you go out in the wet.