• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do All Hunting Round Decision? Rifle Build help

SkiB4

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
Need help deciding on the cartridge I need. I have access to land in Canada and would like a round to do it all there, yet am having some issues deciding. I’ve narrowed it down to 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and 300 WM. We all know the pros to all of these, tell me what I’m missing with the cons:

6.5 PRC: 6.5 projectile… would like to keep it .30 for moose and bear

300 WM: I’d like to avoid reloading to headspace off the belt

300 PRC: I located SOME brass, don’t necessarily want to modify my Tenacity LA to fit Wyatt box…

Have you considered the 30-06 AI? I know its not on your list but it crowds the 300WM pretty well and their is ample quality 06 brass to make your own. Just a thought.......

Don't understand......

Do you not want to try the 300 WM because you don't want to reload at all, or because you think you have to use the belt as the headspace datum when you reload?

Edit: Sorry, didn’t read everything in post 1

If you’re worried about not having enough gun, the choice seems to be between either of the .30’s

If you reload, it’s kind of irrelevant unless you want to err on the side of factory ammo. In which case, Win Mag

My opinion, though, is that if you reload something 7mm would be a better “all-around” round. 7rm if you want factory ammo as well as a home brew recipe. 7lrm if you want to shoot a little heavier bullets in general. 7saum if you have a need for 160gr-ish bullets for some smaller critters

But if you can justify a second barrel and willing to reload? 300prc and 7saum. These cover everything
Need help deciding on the cartridge I need. I have access to land in Canada and would like a round to do it all there, yet am having some issues deciding. I’ve narrowed it down to 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and 300 WM. We all know the pros to all of these, tell me what I’m missing with the cons:

300 PRC: I located SOME brass, don’t necessarily want to modify my Tenacity LA to fit Wyatt box…

Last edited:
Of the 3 listed, the only one that will definitely be around in 10 years is the 300WM. And, it is also the only one you can go almost anywhere on the planet and find ammo for.
It also happens to be my favorite all-around rifle caliber, I've hunted with it on a few continents and have never been disappointed with the results. Match the bullet to the task and it is very difficult to beat with any 2 other calibers.

I shoot factory ammo and load my own, there are marketing reasons to go with something else; I have yet to find a legitimate hunting reason to go elsewhere.

Become a more skilled hunter / stalker and you will need less ballistics.
Less ballistics results in a lighter and more economical weapon.
Kudos to the bow hunter's.

Become a more skilled hunter / stalker and you will need less ballistics.
Less ballistics results in a lighter and more economical weapon.
Kudos to the bow hunter's.
I don't disagree on the bow hunting, I do disagree on the rest. When moose and bear are specifically referenced, under-gunning with both is stupid and dangerous. I hear the "be a better shot" stuff quite often, but seldom from people telling me they hunt dangerous game with a 223 because they are such kick-ass marksmen.

I hunt in very wild country where everything has a thorn or fangs or a general disdain for hunters; so having enough gun is more than important, it is vital. Because "too dead" is not a thing, but "not quite dead" is very very much a thing...

Does anyone have a clue what the guy is going to do with the rifle? The land he has access to might only hold prairie dogs and crows. Might only have coyotes. Might have moose and grizzly.
The belt on a 300 Win mag is only a distraction to a knowledgeable shooter and reloader. It mostly bothers modern gun writers and others looking for something to worry about.

I currently have a 300 WM and I think I’m going to switch to a 300 WSM when I rebarrel. Mostly because I’m running a tikka and the long action magnums are a pain. You maybe lose 50fps going to WSM and then you can run a shorter barrel and a short action. 7 Saum or 280 AI are great too, but 30 cal is a little better for moose and bear. For all around hunting, I’m not a fan of 6.5 prc because of the bore diameter. However it is great for up to mule deer. 300 prc is meant for long heavy bullets, which usually aren’t constructed as sturdily for great penetration on moose or bear. 300 wm or WSM with tsx, TTSX, cx, ABLR or accubond seem like the best options to me for elk and larger

So you already have a long action setup you don't want to modify for the 300 PRC.

You're worried 6.5 might not have the punch of a 30 cal.

The belt on a WM is no big deal when reloading, like said above it's just an easy bitch when comparing newer cartridges because it's not needed.

If you take current availability of ammo or reloading components into account, the winmag is the clear winner of those 3.

You could also look at the 300 WSM, it checks all your boxes.

Reactions: DVW
Would be odd to only ask about calibers with a mag bolt face for only crows and pdogs, or coyotes.

One could deduct, if both axons and dendrites are working, he is talking about big game.

Deduct. Not assume. I know that one and chose with thought.

Of course, this is the new world and some idiot was asking how to get weapons on a plane over the weekend.

So, what do I know?
Nothing. Just ask my ex wife. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Dot3 and 308pirate
You'd be neutering the WM same as the PRC if you don't do the Wyatt box. 300 WSM and ADG brass is my vote. I'd also go 9 twist to have the greatest selection of projectiles including the 205 Badlands solids, and give it a deep throat to seat them out and get some extra velocity.

Awesome info from all, thanks guys. I think I’ll probably end up settling on the 300 WM on a 9 twist. I have experience shooting it army side but not reloading it, but from what everyone is saying the belt is not an Achilles heal as some individuals say. Regardless I’m looking at most likely modding for Wyatt on the tenacity. Does anyone have any experience on that process? Is that a huge pain in the a** or not too bad?

Of the 3 listed, the only one that will definitely be around in 10 years is the 300WM. And, it is also the only one you can go almost anywhere on the planet and find ammo for.
It also happens to be my favorite all-around rifle caliber, I've hunted with it on a few continents and have never been disappointed with the results. Match the bullet to the task and it is very difficult to beat with any 2 other calibers.

I shoot factory ammo and load my own, there are marketing reasons to go with something else; I have yet to find a legitimate hunting reason to go elsewhere.
im a WM fan but the 300PRC isnt going anywhere, in fact id say that other rounds will vanish because of it

its a better win mag in the same size action and better than a 300 norma inside of 1500.

that being said if its a hunting rifle dont even reload it, your only shooing a few rounds a year

keep the win mag and buy a few boxes of factory ammo

old school partitions, accubonds or tsx and go put meat on the table

any bullet you want to shoot federal prob has ammo made already in 300wm

and truth be told most guys cant reload as well as federal premium ammo anyway (not saying you cant)

Sometimes the better question to ask is "what will do the job without introducing unnecessary complexities?".

Now, of course, you have to address optics, chamber dimensions,............. Never mind. I've been here too long.

Awesome info from all, thanks guys. I think I’ll probably end up settling on the 300 WM on a 9 twist. I have experience shooting it army side but not reloading it, but from what everyone is saying the belt is not an Achilles heal as some individuals say. Regardless I’m looking at most likely modding for Wyatt on the tenacity. Does anyone have any experience on that process? Is that a huge pain in the a** or not too bad?
It is the Achilles heel of the 375HH cartridges but that's saying something to its credit. It is not a big deal and if that's all you have to worry about, that's a good cartridge.

I know I'd rather bitch and moan about a belt that just sits there like a wet shit than cartridges that need to be fire formed, massaged and then shits itself wide open.

300wm if Grizzlies are in the mix, otherwise 7RM. I've never shot a grizzly but I certainly don't want a lack of gun when yogi decides to get all up in my pickiny B.

As stated above 7mm Rem Mag and 280AI are worth considering aslo, as is 300wsm, and 7SAUM. I would go with what you can find components or loaded ammunition for most easily as all your options are pretty solid save for the Grizzly component as stated. Those bastages don't generally recognize a lot of ballistics very well. They are quite uneducated...
Aside from the idea of avoiding Canada altogether, what area are you going to? Where we used to hunt moose, it was more a matter of bullet selection as 100yards was a "long" shot, average was maybe 40 yards, so most general hunting calibers contain enough energy...
Happy shopping!

I've hunted 5 times in Africa plus Canada, Alaska and Mexico. Almost everything was cleanly taken with a 308 using a 150gr Barnes Triple Shock. For dangerous game a 375 with 300gr Barnes was used. Get close (within 200 yds), get steady, and put the bullet in the high heart, low lung area.
The animal will be down in 5-8 seconds.

I have a 280 that I hunt with. It will work on anything. That being said, I also have a 300 Weatherby because I have read a number of hunting rags and second guessed my 280 (the 280 works just fine).

Reactions: lachoneus
I did exactly what you're trying to do. I rebarreled my Tikka 300wm in 300wsm. The longer throw for the "long action" allows seating longer heavier bullets out further. It was also throated for them. When I did it, it was mainly to get away from the belted cases. Nothing wrong with them, I'm just not a fan. I've been happy with the whole setup shooting 210s and 220s. It provides enough oomph for anything Im going to hunt without the stupid recoil of the 300wm.

Not sure where you came up with 30 cal kills moose and bear better.

A 6.5 Creedmoor with a 147 Hornady will kill any moose walking. A 308 loaded with 180 partitions or spire-points ditto. Hornady 220 RN in a 308 will, too.

Alaska is full of old sourdoughs on their 20th +++ moose or bear with a 270 win, or a 300 Savage.

Moose are not hard to kill. Neither are bears who are not alarmed.

Pick something you shoot well (rifle), then something you shoot well (cartridge in that rifle) and go forth.

You’re over thinking this.

Not sure where you came up with 30 cal kills moose and bear better.
It kills it better.

All else being equal of course.

Which one hurts more, being hit by a pebble or a brick?

PS. I don't think anyone is claiming a smaller calibre won't do the job but the keyword here is "better". Assuming we are hitting the same spot, bullet expansion ratio is the same, it will kill better.

Back in the 1930's many hunters considered the 35 Remington to be their ideal "Do anything" cartridge. I guess the animals are a lot bigger and tougher now, though. A deadly 200-gr soft-point bullet and you can still "eat right up to the hole." I like my Remington Model 141 slide-action carbine for quick follow up shot capability, although the Marlin lever gun is fine, too. I noticed that the Chandler brothers agree on the cartridge and the Remington slide action as the absolute best choices for deer hunting. If you need to stretch the range to 250 yards, select the Hornady 200-gr FTX ammo. Otherwise the traditional round-nose soft points are great out to 150 yards, which is twice the normal hunting shot distance in most places.

If you feel you need more range or knock-down power for bear or something, I recommend the versatile 375 H&H Magnum loaded with 300-gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets (Federal Premium ammo). A friend borrowed my Sako TRGS carbine for one last African safari several years ago. Five one-shot kills (out of five) including a large wildebeest over shooting sticks from 200 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJames
It kills it better.

All else being equal of course.

Which one hurts more, being hit by a pebble or a brick?

PS. I don't think anyone is claiming a smaller calibre won't do the job but the keyword here is "better". Assuming we are hitting the same spot, bullet expansion ratio is the same, it will kill better.
.284 vs .308 is a pebble vs brick.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I suppose if by "better image" you mean false imagery. Of course these threads always lead to this kind of retardery. False imagery and fantastical lionization of ones favorite diameter of bullet.

A study done documenting 10,000 moose kills showed basically the same data for 30/06 and 6.5x55. They tracked things like number of shots, and the distance traveled after hit. I don't think there is much of anything but fantasy involved in saying a 30 cal bullet is deadlier than 7mm or 6.5mm because of its slightly larger diameter.

I think it provides better imagery than say, "a pebble vs a slightly larger pebble".
Also, 6.5 is .270 😉
I guess if we’re being technical, a 6.5 is a .264 and a .270 is a .277… not sure what that 0.013” difference equates to, however.

6.5 PRC is your go all around do it all caliber. It's more than enough for any games at any responsible range, you can do some ELR and prs.

Do you realize the Scandinavians hunt moose with 6.5x55 since the last 100 years without any troubles( thats not even close to a PRC...)?

Get real people with your bore diameter ego issue.

300 PRC. It is simply better than WM. Most people cite ammo and component availability as the only reason to stick with WM. I would argue that doesn’t hold water like it did. Go to Midway, Mile High or even your local sporting goods and see how often a good heavy, high BC bullet PRC is in stock relative to a low BC WM. Call any respectable gunsmith and ask what their top calibers are. I would bet 300 WM isn’t in the top 5 anymore.

I believe that over a long period of time PRC will replace WM in popularity. It already has in new gun sales. Think of PRC as 6.5 creed 10 years ago

300 PRC. It is simply better than WM. Most people cite ammo and component availability as the only reason to stick with WM. I would argue that doesn’t hold water like it did. Go to Midway, Mile High or even your local sporting goods and see how often a good heavy, high BC bullet PRC is in stock relative to a low BC WM. Call any respectable gunsmith and ask what their top calibers are. I would bet 300 WM isn’t in the top 5 anymore.

I believe that over a long period of time PRC will replace WM in popularity. It already has in new gun sales. Think of PRC as 6.5 creed 10 years ago
Depends if you're hunting internationally. I'm not sure what the go is in recent years but moving ammo was practically impossible so getting a very common calibres are more likely to appear in retail abroad.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
You can not go wrong on the 300 WM it is easy to find amo in all ways an is not to hard to relied for. Just get full leth die set and you can us eny bullit form 100grane to 280grane. If you go with the prc the brass well cast a late more and the loeded cast way more than the 300 WM.

Reactions: beavis1971
I know it’s not on your list, but +1 here for the 338 win mag. Does less damage to deer than my 270 and gives you more bone crunching power if you were to jump a grizzly. I’ve known 2 different guys who were hunting moose in the thick stuff and had a bear jump out within 20 yards. Not much time to get a rifle up and get a good look. If bear isn’t in the area then any of the others will work fine. I’d still go 300wm of those other choices tho.

fuzzy wuzzy mr brown bear doesn't like 243.. heard good things about 55gr sp from 22-250 too.

be a toss up between those two and a 223 for most grizz shot yearly in NA cartridge wise.

I suppose if by "better image" you mean false imagery. Of course these threads always lead to this kind of retardery. False imagery and fantastical lionization of ones favorite diameter of bullet.

A study done documenting 10,000 moose kills showed basically the same data for 30/06 and 6.5x55. They tracked things like number of shots, and the distance traveled after hit. I don't think there is much of anything but fantasy involved in saying a 30 cal bullet is deadlier than 7mm or 6.5mm because of its slightly larger diameter.

6.5 PRC is your go all around do it all caliber. It's more than enough for any games at any responsible range, you can do some ELR and prs.

Do you realize the Scandinavians hunt moose with 6.5x55 since the last 100 years without any troubles( thats not even close to a PRC...)?

Get real people with your bore diameter ego issue.

Scandinavian moose are close to elk in size compared to the significantly larger Yukon moose we have here in North America. Additionally they only use the 6.5x55 because it is widely available, not because it is the best.

i can't think of a better moose cartridge then 243

maybe 22-250, but 243 a clear first.

I don't care why they used it. The data is there in black and white. Tell me a 30 cal is more deadly than a 6.5mm and 7mm so I can laugh some more. Scandinavian Elk {moose} are bigger than elk. A bull Elk is listed as up to 700lbs vs 1000lbs for the scandnivian elk. Thats 300lbs, nearly 50% of the toal body weight of a large bull Elk here vs a "moose" there.

6.5 PRC is my do-all hunting rifle, and I’d take it anywhere in N/A for any game. Bullets > headstamps.
300 PRC. It is simply better than WM. Most people cite ammo and component availability as the only reason to stick with WM.

Agreed, I can’t see the 6.5 PRC or 300 PRC going anywhere. There’s zero reason for 300 WM to be more popular than 300 PRC a decade from now. They aren’t fad rounds, they’re optimized for modern rifles and modern bullets.