• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do all powder for .223 Rem and a variety of loads

Scrumbag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2020
U.K.
Hi folks,

Looking at developing a few different loads for different purposes and hoping to find a powder that will do it in Ramshot X-Terminator.

100 yd positional / moving target load - Whatever good deal I can get on ~55gr bulk back FMJ / BTHP / BTFMJ etc, most rounds will be this.

Longer range target load - Thinking 60gr Sierra Tipped match king as will be nice and stable in my 1:9 twist barrel (might do double duty as a fox round as well)

Deer hunting round - We have small deer here in the UK (Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer and Roe deer) and I like the 65gr Sierra Gameking SBT (Wonder if not obsolete though)

Non-Lead deer round - got 2 bullets to try with this. 55gr Nosler E-Tip and 58gr Peregrine VLR4?

Now, my thinking on this would be something with a burn rate that works for all those bullets and a ideally something that would stand being "thrown" for volume loading so a ball powder.

I had very good results with 65gr Sierra Gameking SBTs and Ramshot TAC but for 55gr FMJ it's rather slow and get very sooty necks.

What seems to give me full burn within barrel with the computer is Ramshot X-terminator.

So, I've got a pound of X-Terminator and planning on trying it out. Have I goofed? Should I be thinking of something else?

I'm using standard Magtech small rifle primers - anyone reckon a magnum primer might be better?
Anyone load any of the above bullets? Any advice gratefully received?
Nosler E-Tips on foxes / yotes: Too hard?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

For those lighter weight bullets I would use Hodgdon H322, it is a fast burning powder that also burns very clean. It is used in Benchrest shooting because of the accuracy that can be obtained with it. Primers are going to depend on a lot of different variables, but you can't go wrong using magnum primers if you work the load using them.

Reactions: simonp
Thanks Dino, if I get sooty with the 55gr loads I shall try with a slightly faster powder. Sadly H322 isn't allowed here due to chemical make-up.

Any comments on the bullet choice?

Scrummy

I used to run RL-15 in my 223 all the time. Shot it from Minus 30 Yote hunting to 90 above target shootiing. Never had an issue with pressure ever Accuracy stayed the same in both temps. I only changed to Varget because I did get a little bit more accuracy out of it. I still used RL-15 in my 75 gn bullet load today. Takes a resighting, but still shoots great. I did also trash the Rem 7 1/2 Primers and switched to BR-4's. FYI- 24 inch, heavy barrel Savage.

I'm usually wrong, but I think I read somewhere that Xterminator and Accurate 2230 are the exact same powder. So maybe in the future if you can't find one, maybe the other will be available.

H 4895 is my favorite 223 powder for 52 and 69 gr. SMK bullets. I tried an lb. of 322, but cannot really speak to it. Still have some.

Is it me, or has Varget been easier to find than RE15?
Keep that in mind too, unless you have plenty of RE15 on hand.

I found BLC2 to be a forgiving powder in .223, much like W748.

Reactions: Moose
Is it me, or has Varget been easier to find than RE15?
Keep that in mind too, unless you have plenty of RE15 on hand.

I found BLC2 to be a forgiving powder in .223, much like W748.
I can not find RL-15 any where.

I haven't tried too many powders across the entire spectrum of 223 bullet weights, but I have tried H335 and XBR8208 with success.

H335, while not being normally touted as a heavy bullet powder can perform into the 70gr class, although I doubt it'll be the best choice.

XBR 8208 has to be one of, if not the, most versatile 223 powder. I've used it from 50-80gr so far, and I've heard plenty of other guys on here using it with the 88 and 90gr class in 223/223AI.

It also meters relatively well from a manual powder drop, and is temp stable. Hard to beat all of those qualities.

XBR 8208 and Varget. XBR will do slighty better on the lighter stuff. Varget for sure for 75-85gr.

My go to powder has always been H4895 for everything from 50gr up to 77gr.

Currently experimenting with AR- Comp and have been pleased so far.

I'm a bit fan of Viht Powders but would prefer a ball powder for easier metering.

Scrummy

N140 meters decent on my 750, good enough for plinking. Fine tuned my powder thrower and can get within .2 Gr of target charge weight. Nice and smooth on the press…
Match ammo AT V3, Arbor press with standard force pack. I can load 60-80 rds of match ammo per hour when brass is prepped and ready.

Lots of good 223 powders out there, but I'm really liking IMR8208 right now with 77TMK's. other good powders are:

AR Comp
Benchmark
BLC2
H322
H335
H4895
Varget
CFE 223
Tac
Re 15

223 is just a fun little round!

Last edited: