• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do fat burners actually work?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
So I'm 23, about 5'10", and around 150lbs. I've been this weight for as long as I can remember, but suddenly I've been seeing a lot more fat in the gut area. Honestly, I used to be around 145ish, and now I'm probably like 155ish, so that's about 10lbs of fat I've put on.

I just got out of pretty intense surgery on my intestines about a month and a half ago, and literally laying in a hospital for 13 days, then in a chair at home for another month doing nothing didn't really help anything.

Basically what I'm getting at is, I'm a lazy POS and want whatever workouts or running I'm going to have to do to shed this weight be as quick and minimal as possible.

So, do they work, and if so, which ones do and dont?

Reactions: jenniferroseey
Re: Do fat burners actually work?

Welcome to the party...getting old aint for pussy's. LOL

Don't know which ones you are talking about. But the last time I took a supplement for weight loss I felt like I was going to stroke out.

My opinion hit the gym.
smile.gif

Cheers!!!!!

-K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the party...getting old aint for pussy's. LOL</div></div>

Tell me about it.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't know which ones you are talking about. But the last time I took a supplement for weight loss I felt like I was going to stroke out.

My opinion hit the gym.
smile.gif

Cheers!!!!!

-K </div></div>

Yea, that's why I'm asking. I heard they're bad for the heart. Don't wanna kick the bucket because I wanna lose a few pounds. I was just doing a little research and honestly you can never tell who's telling the truth about products anymore because you've got so many of these things and so many companies are paying people off to say good things about their products etc etc. Just wondering if anyone had any legitimate success stories or not.

You may find some. But honestly best advise ...get a Vitamix (yes they are expensive) worth every penny...make a green drink every day, they taste good (pm me for the recipe). That will kick start your system and then get into karate or some other sport you do at least 3 times a week. You will see results. Also P90x works .. Just do what you can and keep coming back.

A pill will get you so far...but I don't trust them

Look Johnny, Drink water. Don't fill a gallon jug and set it beside you near the couch. Get up and go to the fridge and get it. Come back to couch. Convince yourself that since you worked harder instead of smarter you exercised. If this sounds appealing you're like me and really lazy. Exercise as in not lifting weights but cardio and your diet are the only remedies to your problem. I'm a stubborn old bull headed lazy jackass and have come to terms with my condition. YMMV

Yea, thanks for the input guys. Keep in mind, I need to lose 10lbs, not 100. I just don't want it to take 3 years to do it, ya know? I've gone to the gym before, (on a regular schedule) and I know from experience that it takes seemingly forever to see results, and I have the patience of a 4 year old, and the laziness of a stoner.

So far I've read that green tea helps. I've also read that there was something called "ephedra" that was amazing, but has since been banned for whatever reason.

By fat burners you mean thermogenics? I have good success with oxy elite pro by usp labs. I use it when I am cutting weight with it I lose around 7 lbs a week but I am also running around 18 miles a week. My girlfriend took it and did little cardio and saw good results also. Research it, I think it will help but don't rely completely on it with out putting in work.

Johnny, in all seriousness. If you can wing it strap on your go fasters and start off walking a mile or two a day. Better yet walk for time, say 20 minutes. Then as your leg muscles and bones get prepped you can start jogging and then running for time. You don't wan't to go run your ass off at first because of shin splints and stress fractures in your legs. make sure to stretch before and after. If you run do a cool down lap if you will to bring your heart rate down slowly. Drink water. Army PT is a great way to stay in shape if you obide by the rule of you are what you eat. Did I mention drink water. Acceptable caloric intake coupled with a reasonable cardio exercise regimen and water will aid in your quest to be buff like me and Lowlight.

DRINK WATER

For being 5'10, 155 is not very heavy imo. I'm 6'0 and weigh in at 184. 2 inches, 30 lbs difference. If you really want to drop weight though, change your diet. Cleaning up your diet is the easiest way to lose weight. It is also the hardest because it takes a lot of discipline to not break eating "clean." For example, at mojave viper you don't have a choice and the month out here is killing my progress I made at an all natural diet. I ate nothing that was processed and every sunday I would hard boil 30 eggs, cook 5 lbs of chicken, and put vegetables and fruits in plastic containers for the week. I ate between 2300 and 3000 calories a day, totally dependant on my exercise routine for the day. As far as exercise goes, crossfit. com. Do the exercise of the day and get it over with. If that is too advanced they have a large amount of routines for starters. Once you start and see results you won't want to stop. If you are totally insistent on taking a thermogenic though, oxy elite pro. I've taken it before to cut down for the beach and it works, and works well. The weight loss isn't permanent but it will make you lose weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the patience of a 4 year old, and the laziness of a stoner. </div></div>

That's AWESOME!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the patience of a 4 year old, and the laziness of a stoner. </div></div>

That's AWESOME!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Not when you're trying to lose weight it's not, lol.

Thermogenics do work, your body is most likely going to respond differently with each one. So you'll just have to try which works best for you. I've tried hydroxycut in the past, back in 2004 and it worked. Since they've change the formula, I have not had much success with it. Like 7.62DAV, I have used Oxy Elite Pro, combined with running and diet, I have moved from losing 3lbs/week to 5lbs/week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kevlars said:
Tell me about it.
frown.gif

</div></div>

Tell you about what? You're only 23! Wait until you hit your late 30s! LOL

I've used a number of fat burners through the years with varied results. Yes, they work but you don't need them. Like others have said, clean up your diet and increase your caloric deficit and you can drop the 10 pounds without taking that stuff into your body.

I do an EC stack (ephedrine/caffeine) on occasion for added energy and appetite suppression, but always in addition to a good diet and work out regime if I expect to lose any weight. As with any stimulant though, don't overdo it, (take weekends off and a long break every 12 weeks). YMMV

adding stimulants and shit before you have your diet and training nailed down is like wiping your ass then taking a shit.

their is no magic pill , you have to move more and eat better , not realy less but better , you can sit around and eat pop tarts and nothing youbare going to get fat or stay fat , and thinking that you can just eat way less and lose weight that might work for a minute but you will slow your metabolism to a crawl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kevlars said:
Tell me about it.
frown.gif

</div></div>

WTell you about what? You're only 23! Wait until you hit your late 30s! LOL

I've used a number of fat burners through the years with varied results. Yes, they work but you don't need them. Like others have said, clean up your diet and increase your caloric deficit and you can drop the 10 pounds without taking that stuff into your body.

</div></div>

Yep I am 34 and when I hit 30 my metabolism slowed way down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobtails</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kevlars said:
Tell me about it.
frown.gif

</div></div>

WTell you about what? You're only 23! Wait until you hit your late 30s! LOL

</div></div>

Yep I am 34 and when I hit 30 my metabolism slowed way down. </div></div>

Crazy how that happens. I'm 31, same thing. My wife is a few years older than me. I can't complain about anything with out her saying "yep, your getting old..."

Weight loss is all diet. Eliminate sugar/carbs.

I am sure at that weight, people around you must still say you need to eat more. Hell you're only a few lbs heavier than me and I'm a pretty competitive runner.

With that little to lose, it's kinda silly to be looking to things that could be damaging to your health, isn't it? My buddy steals his wife's fat burning pills when we need to drive 24 hours to go hunting out west. After seeing what they do to him I'd never touch the stuff.

Great abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

High protein, low fat, eat only until you are not hungry anymore. Not until the plate is empty.

Very tough to do for any length of time.

My wife is a fitness instructor and nuturalist md.

Whenever I need to shape up for an event she sets me straight on nutrition and exercise.

Yeah getting older does usually = a slower metabolism, but you dont have to take fat burners to get a flat stomach.

Fat burners have tons of shit in them that can hurt your heart if taken for long periods. the problem is its different for each individual so be careful.

The old fashioned way of moderate exercise and healthy diet never changed and most likely wont.

and crunches in the morning when you first wake up doesnt hurt either.

good luck tubby...

I would recommend a kettle bell. Especially if the problem with your intestines was caused by lifting something. Need to strengthen your core before who can even have abs imo. Skinny fat is a no go.

Proper diet and having a positive body composition is really what you should seek.

Fatburners are only good if you have something underneath the fat.
And really are only a temporary fix if you don't have a good diet,good workout regime or an aversion to alcohol.

I've used oxy-pro elite with good results. I've known dudes that have used clenbuturol(sp?) might be illegal or a controlled substance; I believe it might have orignally been an asthma medication.

Most fat-burners are a scam as they are nothing more then equivalant to drinking a pot or 2 of coffee a day. When ephedra was banned they lost the one thing that made them work extremely well.

Recommend putting on some lean mass first so you don't turn into skeletor if and when you take fat burners and if they work for you.

As some have said, water is a good thing. First thing when you wake up, drive at two cups or so, it helps flush your system. Take out all extra's in your diet that you don't need. Those spreads on sandwiches, butter on bagels, cream cheese, etc. Have veggies for snacks and watch the main meals. Exercise smartly, warm up stretch and cool down, include circuits for strength conditioning and don't abuse your joints with heavy weights(I wish I didn't)

I'm 32, 6,0 tall and until about 2 weeks ago was 210 pounds. I decided I had enough so I quite smoking, stopped all fast food, junk food and soda, began taking multi vitamins, Oxy Elite Pro, and running. As of today I weigh 194 pounds. That's 16 lbs of loss in 2 weeks. I'd say the fat burner I'm using combined with proper diet and excersize works pretty darn well.

Actually, I just weighed myself on wii fit (I know not terribly accurate I suppose) and it said I'm 146, lol. I don't care what it says, I'm a fat ass.

On a side note, I think I'm gonna scoop some of that Oxy Elite Pro stuff. It's only like 30 bucks, and I think literally everyone on here has said good things about it, so we'll see how it works. I'm gonna take it easy though cuz you never know how your heart is gonna handle it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good luck tubby...</div></div>

Hey, I'm only allowed to say that.
wink.gif

Johnny, maybe I missed it but...WHY are you trying to lose weight? Technically, you are underweight for your height. I stand at 5'11 and according to BMI, my 'ideal' weight is 170.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Johnny, maybe I missed it but...WHY are you trying to lose weight? Technically, you are underweight for your height. I stand at 5'11 and according to BMI, my 'ideal' weight is 170. </div></div>

I'm not technically trying to lose weight, I'm trying to lose fat. I'd like to gain muscle, but I won't go to the gym unless I have someone to go with and I just moved to a new area so I don't have any friends near me. Also, the only gym I saw in the area was a Gold's gym, and I don't want to go in there with all the body builders and look like an asshole lifting like 140, lol.

Stay away from fat burners, most of them have a catecholamine affect on your system that may lead to. Hypertension, kidney failure, coronary artery disease, cerebral bleeding. And it may affect the parasympathetic system negatively by making it harder to get an erection. I think the last one would keep me from taking them.