• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Precision Rifle Gear Do gel cups reduce sound attenuation?

Gil P.

Blank
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
I was reading through the manual on some Comtac Vs and noticed that it said using gel cups lowers the overall NRR by 3.

I always assumed the gel cups were better than the standard foam. Has anyone noticed any difference using the gel cups vs the foam cups?

Realistically the gel cups seal better (especially around eye protection) and are way more comfortable. I find that my Peltor Tactical Sport 500's block a lot more sound with the 3m gel cups vs the standard foam pads.

Reactions: Gil P. and Baron23
I think the answer is yes, for the reason mentioned above. However the 3 dB reduction is a sales pitch without much realistic sizzle for additional ear protection. I only use gel cups for the seal and comfort. The dB correction for NRR ratings may be of interest to some.

Rut rho......something different about uploading photos.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 5.41.40 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 108
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 5.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 5.37.26 PM.png
    196 KB · Views: 89
Realistically the gel cups seal better (especially around eye protection) and are way more comfortable. I find that my Peltor Tactical Sport 500's block a lot more sound with the 3m gel cups vs the standard foam pads.

I'll get some and test it out. These Peltors do block noticeably more noise than my Sordins with gel cups.

I think I'll have someone shoot next to me while I'm behind my rifle. The gel cups might keep a better seal like you said.

I ordered a 3m kit, I think it's called their "sanitation kit" that comes with the gel cups, and I ordered a set of the Noiesfighters. I'm pretty disappointed with the Noiesfighters for being $45, they aren't as comfy, don't leave as much room around the ears as the 3m kit does.

Rifle shooting I always were a foam plug in right ear plus electronic protection; the stock seems to displace the ear pro at the most inconvenient instance, like primer ignition!

Rifle shooting I always were a foam plug in right ear plus electronic protection; the stock seems to displace the ear pro at the most inconvenient instance, like primer ignition!
I'm the same, except I wear both earplugs under my earmuffs. The Comtac Vs have an earplug mode that makes the incoming sound easy to hear, even with earplugs on.

Reactions: KZP
These also help make a better seal. Goes on arms of glasses.

Last edited:
I don't know about quieter but the gel horseshoes on my Tac 4's are pretty comfortable. More so than the foam on others.

I imagine they do work for noise better though, being denser, just no way to determine it. But they're worth it for comfort alone. And yes, they do seem to seal better than foam too so there's that.