• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do I have a problem with my S.S. ?

macv

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2004
no. wisconsin. USA
I had my 20x Super Sniper scope out for the first time since I got it. At the 100 yds. that I was shooting it at,the black target which is 4" in dia. with a 3/4" orange dot in the middle was not clear and I could not clear it up by useing the parallex knob. Now I have other scopes that are of cheaper grade that work just fine in the same situation. So when I got home , I made the call. I was told thAT i HAD TO RUN THE pARRALLEX KNOB all the way to infinity first and then adjust the eye piece. Never heard off that. Maybe it'S true of this scope, I don't know. And also, the scope is pretty gray looking. Does this sound like the norm with this scope? Of all the scopes that I have, this is the darkest one of the bunch.I will say that it did track well. Did the box test and the 5th bullet went right into the first hole. That made me happy. I was told that the target was unable to get clear because that it is too much power for that range. My Bush. 6x24x40 on 24x makes the target as clear as can be when I adjust the Par. knob. The outter black has no fuz to it like the SS. Do you think that I got a bad one? I know it happens. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking in.

Re: Do I have a problem with my S.S. ?

You need to check the trigger nut behind the scope. It may not be functioning correctly and may have a slight issue with the focus of the ocular part of the scope. As stated, move to infinity, focus the scope, then the parallax should work fine.
A lot of scopes have a ocular that will focus for the individual to account for glasses.

I definatly will try that. Thanks for jumping in.As stated, that's what was told to me. If that clears everything up, I can be a happy camper. But is this scope normally on the darker side, or will that get alittle lighter when the par. is corrected.

Mine is usually very clear unless it is hot but then that is mirage not the scope.
Try this:
get a can of acetone and a handfull of Q-Tips. Using a fresh Q-Tip each time, dip into the acetone. Starting center of the scope's glass, make a tight spiral outward to the edge. DO this four times using a new q-tip each time. You have now properly cleaned the glass on your scope. Yes, I said Acetone. It will clean without buggering up the coating. No windex, no alcohol, just straight acetone.
You are using a fresh q-tip each time to prevent any scratching or grabbing of minute particles so watch out. If you see any larger dirt, blow it off lightly first. DO not use a rag, towel, tp or anything else.
If this doesn't square you away, call SWFA and arrange to send it back for them to look at and see what may be wrong.

SS glass is not quite as good a quality as Bushnell 4200 glass. Also the fact that your exit pupil is only 2mm means it is in fact going to be a dark scope. That is what happens when you get exit pupil that is so small. It also means that the sweet spot in that scope is going to be smaller. As well as you have to have your eye perfectly lined up just right when you are behind it or it will hinder the image.

That high of magnification is going to show every flaw in the glass more so. It is going to show the mirage more and just flat out not look at good as say the 10x SS. Lots of people fall for the more magnification is better fable. Quality glass will trump magnification every time.

Personally I think the 16x makes a lot more sense if you want a higher powered fixed scope. It offers many advantages over the 20x and you only loose a tiny bit in the magnification area. Take a target at 500 yards. With the 20x it will look like it is 25 yards away, with the 16x it will look like 31 yards away. Even at 1000 yards it will only look like it is 12 yards farther out.

Thanks guys for the great info. I am first going to try to refocus as told. I wish that info was put into the manual that came with the scope about how to set your eye piece by turnning your parralax to infinity first and then moving the eyepiece, but it was not. That is going to be my first move. And yes, I will clean the glass as well. Do you think that there is a difference in how your target looks from a fixed 20X scopes vs. a 20X from a variable. Of course there again, Im comparing that to my Bush.4200 and I don't know if I can make an even comparison by doing that.
I sure hope that it is going to all work out because I think that Im going to really like the SS. And sitting on my 40X, 308, it held 5 shots into a 3/4" dot. But then that rifle shot the same way with other scopes also. Should be able to try it again tomorrow and a report will be made when finished. Thanks again. Have a great day.

Well I had the chance to try the scope at 200 and 300 yds. today and I still did not like the way the target looked when adjusting the parallex. I took two other scopes out with me for comparison. A Bushnell scopechief 20X variable and a Simmons WTC 18, another 20X variable. Both of those scopes were brighter than the SS. And they also were able to clear the target up more so than the SS. If indeed that the SS I recieved was OK, all the talk that I heard about it is dissapointing. It's on it's way back for a checkup. By the way, this is how I rated the 3 scopes that I was working with. As far as clarity and brightness the Scopechief was #1, WTC 18, #2, the SS #3. Maybe I should try the SS16X as suggested by others. Just wondering if I would be able to quarter a 3/4" dot with it at 100 yds or would I be guessing that I was in the center of it. Never thought of it until just now, but I should have tried turning down one of the other scopes to 16X and tried it. Guess there's still times to do it.

Any 20x42 is dim due to the 2.1mm exit pupil. We don't recommend them unless you are accustomed to shooting a high powered target scope. The 16x is better and the 10x is much better.

We'd be glad to exchange it for a 16x or 10x.