• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do I have an eye dominance problem?

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
I decided to post this here since it deals with rifle optics, and there are some very experienced people here when it comes to gun optic devices.

Last week I bought my wife a prism red dot optic for her AR platform rifle. This is a "both eyes open" optic. Since I know little to nothing about red dots, I did quite a bit of internet research, and I enlisted the help of some friends who have a great deal of experience with AR type rifles and red dot scopes. After purchasing the scope, I spent the better part of a day at my backyard range mounting and shooting in the new optic. I only fired about 16 rounds total at my steel gongs at varying distances out to 300 yds. I spent the greatest part of the time trying to learn how to sight the optic carefully positioning it on the top rail. I am a left-handed left-eye dominant shooter. My bolt guns are left-handed actions. I've been shooting left-handed (rifle, shotgun, pistol) for 50+ years.

When I was satisfied that it was at least sighted in well enough for my wife to tweak it to her tastes, I put the rifle up to my right shoulder and looked out the field of view just for the heck of it. I was floored at what I saw! Or, rather what I didn't see. The only thing I saw was the dot itself and the target field. I didn't even see the scope at all. However, when sighting this optic left-handed, the scope body was plainly in the field of view, so much so that I kept thinking that I must have it mounted wrong because this is not what I'm supposed to be seeing.

I thought to myself: "Wow, no wonder those CQB guys love these red dots so much!" The way these optics are supposed to work is your dominant eye views the reticle and the target while the non-dominant eye is only viewing the target. This thing was great. When shouldering the gun right-handed, I never saw anything but the dot and the target. As long as I kept both eyes open and shouldered the gun right-handed, the body of the scope was never in my field of view. All I saw was the red dot, and no part of the body of the scope was visible. It was like it wasn't even there. It was like magic. However, I'm not right-handed or right-eye dominant. At least, I don't think so. But, when I put it up to my left shoulder as I normally would, all that magic went away. But, all the little circle and finger tests I perform for eye dominance indicates that I'm left-eye dominant. Is it possible that these optics are made for only right-handed and/or right-eye dominant people? I don't wear corrective lenses, but I'm going to make an appointment with the local eye doctor to see if there is something wrong with my vision. For you guys that use these red dots, what's your take on this?

IMO, there isn't a difference inherent to the optic that would explain your experience.

Out of curiosity I grabbed a rifle from the safe. I am right handed and right eye dominant.

The red-dot "housing" basically "disappeared" using either eye as the dominant eye. BUT, when using my left eye as dominant I had to really stare down the target with my right eye to have the same effect. I think you are likely not quite focusing with the right eye on the target when using left eye dominant. This has the reverse effect when you use the left to focus on target with right eye dominant with the reticle. Could be your right eye is just a bit weaker.

Lefty's are strange anyways (I joke since my son is a lefty), so there is that as well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: eastexsteve
My son is right handed but looks through the riflescope with his left eye, shoulders the rifle on his left shoulder. He shoots good groups with the 1022 at 100yds. I’ll have to figure out where to go with him moving forward, change his set up by forcing him to close his left eye when shooting or keep his current shooting posture.

My son is right handed but looks through the riflescope with his left eye, shoulders the rifle on his left shoulder. He shoots good groups with the 1022 at 100yds. I’ll have to figure out where to go with him moving forward, change his set up by forcing him to close his left eye when shooting or keep his current shooting posture.

It is funny you post this. As I mention above, my son is left handed, could tell since he was very young. But alas, the world hates lefties, so of course he learned to write etc with his right hand. Everthing that requires strength he favors his left hand. Throwing, batting, shooting etc. For everything that requires more dexterity he will favor his right hand. Think writing, brushing his teeth, flipping pages, etc.

I think school messes lefties up and it is my belief this causes "strong hand/eye confusion".

Point of the story is that your son naturally gravitated to that set up maybe it just works for him.. Just like if you ask my son "hey toss me the remote", hes going to do it lefty...but, he's "right handed".

Last edited:
I decided to post this here since it deals with rifle optics, and there are some very experienced people here when it comes to gun optic devices.

Last week I bought my wife a prism red dot optic for her AR platform rifle. This is a "both eyes open" optic. Since I know little to nothing about red dots, I did quite a bit of internet research, and I enlisted the help of some friends who have a great deal of experience with AR type rifles and red dot scopes. After purchasing the scope, I spent the better part of a day at my backyard range mounting and shooting in the new optic. I only fired about 16 rounds total at my steel gongs at varying distances out to 300 yds. I spent the greatest part of the time trying to learn how to sight the optic carefully positioning it on the top rail. I am a left-handed left-eye dominant shooter. My bolt guns are left-handed actions. I've been shooting left-handed (rifle, shotgun, pistol) for 50+ years.

When I was satisfied that it was at least sighted in well enough for my wife to tweak it to her tastes, I put the rifle up to my right shoulder and looked out the field of view just for the heck of it. I was floored at what I saw! Or, rather what I didn't see. The only thing I saw was the dot itself and the target field. I didn't even see the scope at all. However, when sighting this optic left-handed, the scope body was plainly in the field of view, so much so that I kept thinking that I must have it mounted wrong because this is not what I'm supposed to be seeing.

I thought to myself: "Wow, no wonder those CQB guys love these red dots so much!" The way these optics are supposed to work is your dominant eye views the reticle and the target while the non-dominant eye is only viewing the target. This thing was great. When shouldering the gun right-handed, I never saw anything but the dot and the target. As long as I kept both eyes open and shouldered the gun right-handed, the body of the scope was never in my field of view. All I saw was the red dot, and no part of the body of the scope was visible. It was like it wasn't even there. It was like magic. However, I'm not right-handed or right-eye dominant. At least, I don't think so. But, when I put it up to my left shoulder as I normally would, all that magic went away. But, all the little circle and finger tests I perform for eye dominance indicates that I'm left-eye dominant. Is it possible that these optics are made for only right-handed and/or right-eye dominant people? I don't wear corrective lenses, but I'm going to make an appointment with the local eye doctor to see if there is something wrong with my vision. For you guys that use these red dots, what's your take on this?

I also should have mentioned, I do wear corrective glasses for nearsightedness. My prescription is weak but things far away get pretty blurry. In addition, my left eye is slightly weaker per the eye doctor. I couldnt tell and he said its common for the stronger eye to compensate. My prescription corrects this as well.

I did the test earier without my glasses since I usually only wear them outdoors, while driving and sometimes when watching TV. I never wear them when shooting off the bench with powered scopes but definitely prefer wearing them with red dots.

Either way...make that appointment I would be interested to hear what you find out.

Last edited:
Want to confuse your eyes even more? Look through your red dot with both eyes open.... now close off the front of the red dot and what do you see? Yes you still see the dot on target.... Dominant eye sees the dot, other eye still sees the target and your brain puts it all together... Look up Occluded sights for a better explanation

Reactions: MarkLeupold
I don't know your age but sounds like you have eye problems.

Possibly your dominant eye is getting weak and the other tries to take over.

My dominant eye now has a wrinkle in it behind the lens an needs a surgeon to remove it, lazier wont work.

Load development put on hold.

Do not delay in getting checked by a place that does surgeries not just glasses.

I suggest a trip to Key Wittman or equivalent.

90$ for a proper exam NOT AT AN EYE GLASS PLACE !

Im 61 and have spent years dicking with glasses when I needed cataract surgery . And since 2 lazier treatments, now a new surgery to remove a useless layer that is causing problems.
Glases would not fix any of that but my former optometrist kept selling me glasses (asshole).

Cateract type surgery no pain gtg next morning. Lazier no pain gtg in hours.

At the moment every retical I own is crooked in my dominant eye but can hold 2-3 moa, getting worse.

It creeps up on you get it checked .

this is how I grew up. I never had anyone tried to correct me. I shoot rifle and bow left handed, pistol either handed, write right handed, can box or bat out of either position but right feels a bit more comfortable. The marine corp said there was no left handed machine gunners but I went on doing my thing. I’ve always shot right handed rifles and actions with no problem, just feels completely normal now with one exception and that’s the side focus on optics. It’s almost impossible for me to stay on the gun and adjust the focus when it’s on the left side, but some genius at Kahles fixed that for me with a top focus. I say let him do what’s comfortable and don’t fight him on it.

Reactions: OldSalty and jcam
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot hand guns with both hands (no weak hand) but I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed to get my dominant eye on the sights. My bother is the same but years ago he "trained" himself to be right eye dominant and showed me how to do it and I succeed. I then stated having headaches and reading/retention problems and I am convinced that eye dominance is likely hard wired into some folks and that tampering with that can fuck things up.

I reverted to left eye dominant and shoot just fine, lost the headaches and reading retention issues and never looked back. I have been running right hand actions left handed but my next rifles will be left handed.

VooDoo

Reactions: jcam
If you question your eye dominance, take both your hands and overlap them forming a small triangle gap between your thumbs and index fingers.... extend your arms fully in front of your face and look through the small hole at something in the distance, doesn't have to be far away... close 1st your left eye and look through with your right eye, now do the exact opposite and look with your left eye... now open both your eyes and look... where you see should shift with one of your eyes.... the one that keeps the same sight picture as both eyes open, THAT'S your dominant eye

If you question your eye dominance, take both your hands and overlap them forming a small triangle gap between your thumbs and index fingers.... extend your arms fully in front of your face and look through the small hole at something in the distance, doesn't have to be far away... close 1st your left eye and look through with your right eye, now do the exact opposite and look with your left eye... now open both your eyes and look... where you see should shift with one of your eyes.... the one that keeps the same sight picture as both eyes open, THAT'S your dominant eye

Yes, this is one of many ways to test for eye dominance. And, it produces the same results.

Regarding OP’s experience, I wonder if the issue is what he is looking at. Always look at the target, not the dot. When shouldered right, his dominant left eye naturally looks only at the target, so he doesn’t see optic housing. But when he shoulders left, his dominant left eye may be looking at the dot, while his right eye looks at the target, resulting in the perception of the optic housing.

Reading the above threads, reminds me of my situation. All my life I've been Rt. handed, Rt. eye dominant. When I turned 45 yrs. old (60 now), I ended up with a couple of bleeders in the center vision portion of my Rt. eye. Well after two laser surgeries and numerous shots, I am now Lt. eye dominant and Rt. handed. I've always shot bow, rifles, pistols, slingshots, Rt. handed and sighted with my Rt. eye. Now when I shoot my bow, I have to aim with both eyes open and so far, it has worked (too cheap to buy a left-hand bow), same with handguns. I now shoot my rifles, Lt. handed, so I can use my dominant Lt. eye to stare thru the scope/RDS/BUIS's. It's been a learning curve, but do-able. You do need to seek an eye surgeon that can go the extra mile to find out what your issues are. My Rt. eye has recovered about 70% of the lost vision, but not back to my earlier years, Good luck. Mac
ETA: I forgot to mention, I do wear "progressive" glasses (sucks getting old:rolleyes:).

Last edited:
Regarding OP’s experience, I wonder if the issue is what he is looking at. Always look at the target, not the dot. When shouldered right, his dominant left eye naturally looks only at the target, so he doesn’t see optic housing. But when he shoulders left, his dominant left eye may be looking at the dot, while his right eye looks at the target, resulting in the perception of the optic housing.

I did notice I was dong that a few times. After practicing, I can lose sight of the optic housing while shooting left handed like I'm supposed to. But, I have to really work at it.

I'm cross eye-dominant left-eye/RH and run my rifles RH as that's what I've been shooting forever and feels best. I wear multi-focal contacts and will get the occasional poor sight picture and wondered what I can do to resolve this. Eye doc is a shooter and asked him and what we are going to try is forgetting about near vision in my left eye with distance correction only. Right eye would still be multi-focal so I can read my ballistics app on my phone.

Have not tried it yet, but sounds like this will probably work. I know you have glasses and sounds like you are doing closer work than PRS, but wonder if you can get a set of glasses setup that way on your dominant eye.

I'm new to PRS, but last couple of local matches have had off-side stages. That is a barrel of laughs trying to get a sight picture using my right eye/RH. Clearly I need to spend a bunch of range time shooting RH to get a feel for the cheek weld and sight picture.

Update:
Went to the eye doctor yesterday. He ran me through the mill of several magic machines and gadgets. It was the most thorough eye exam I've ever had. His diagnosis was that my eye pressure was slightly above normal. He didn't think it was glaucoma, but he wanted to keep an eye on it. And, another issue was the fluid around the lense of my left eye didn't appear to be draining properly, and this was the reason my dominant left eye vision wasn't as good as it used to be. He said this could be caused by an oncoming cataract that hadn't formed yet. He is a shooter, so I was able to communicate my needs to him. He said that he could give me some corrective lenses for distance only that would help. But, the problem would come and go until the real cause showed itself. But, he felt that it was probably an oncoming cataract. He wants to see me again in two months to have another look and check my eye pressure again. Understand that my dominant left eye vision wasn't that bad, but it just appeared that I never could focus it quite as sharp as my right eye at distance. As such, he said that little amount of difference could be forcing my brain to make my right eye become dominant when using the "both eyes open" optic. I'll pick up the corrective lenses today or tomorrow and give an update on whether or not they help.

*Advise for all Cross-eye dominant shooters*

Im no expert but I do have 2 in my family that are right handed/left eye dominant. I have taught them all gun safety and shooting. The good news is the safety part is the same! The fix for the eye thing is to train your eyes. Here is how I did that successfully with both of them shooting hand guns and rifles.

Wear Eye Pro and put a piece of scotch tape over the dominant eye lens. Don't black it out use the translucent type and put enough on that it is blurry. The weak eye will AUTOMATICALLY become dominant and fire away. That is it. Now your thinking no $hit. But over time (less than a year going to the range a few times a month they both shoot fine right hand right eye. It just takes practice to force your brain and develop the eye strength. Easy and cheap...if it does not work for you then you screwed it up and there is something wrong with you. My wife shoots the least and requires a tune up when shooting hand guns now and then but fine with a rifle.

"The dominant eye has more neural connections to the brain than the other eye does. According to a sixty-person study in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, in non-dyslexic people, the blue cone-free spot in the dominant eye tends to be round and the same spot in the non-dominant eye tends to be unevenly shaped; in dyslexic people both eyes tend to have round areas.[22] The study suggests this difference may be a potential, and possibly treatable, cause of dyslexia; however, further tests are required to confirm. At least 700 million people worldwide have dyslexia. In response to the study, John Stein of the University of Oxford cautions that while the study is "really interesting", there is no one single cause of dyslexia.[23][24] "

There is more to eye dominance in some people than just eye strength or preference. Some people's eye dominance is a reflection on how their brain works - whether or not they are right or left brain dominant. Fucking with eye dominance (as in my case) resulted in a kind of dyslexia that affected the way I play music (my improvisational skills literally died) and I had reading comprehension issues, headaches, and trouble sleeping. So I reverted back to left eye/right hand and all the problems went away.

Changing eye dominance is pretty easy *but* there can be side effects. Some of us are cross eye dominant because that's the way our brain works. I shoot just fine with right hand and left eye dominance.

VooDoo

Reactions: OldSalty
"The dominant eye has more neural connections to the brain than the other eye does. According to a sixty-person study in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B, in non-dyslexic people, the blue cone-free spot in the dominant eye tends to be round and the same spot in the non-dominant eye tends to be unevenly shaped; in dyslexic people both eyes tend to have round areas.[22] The study suggests this difference may be a potential, and possibly treatable, cause of dyslexia; however, further tests are required to confirm. At least 700 million people worldwide have dyslexia. In response to the study, John Stein of the University of Oxford cautions that while the study is "really interesting", there is no one single cause of dyslexia.[23][24] "

There is more to eye dominance in some people than just eye strength or preference. Some people's eye dominance is a reflection on how their brain works - whether or not they are right or left brain dominant. Fucking with eye dominance (as in my case) resulted in a kind of dyslexia that affected the way I play music (my improvisational skills literally died) and I had reading comprehension issues, headaches, and trouble sleeping. So I reverted back to left eye/right hand and all the problems went away.

Changing eye dominance is pretty easy *but* there can be side effects. Some of us are cross eye dominant because that's the way our brain works. I shoot just fine with right hand and left eye dominance.

VooDoo

Did you wear an eye patch for that? Sounds like it sucked.

Nope....just like you described above. My point is that not everyone should change their eye dominance. It's not always something that needs to be fixed/forced and doing this can have side effects. People are sometimes cross eye dominant because their brain function has set that from birth. It's not always arbitrary.

My message is be careful about screwing with eye dominance.

VooDoo

Good to hear you got it checked out OP. Let us know how the corrective lenses work out for you.

Good to hear you got it checked out OP. Let us know how the corrective lenses work out for you.

I thought they would be ready last week, but supposedly this week. Maybe I can get in some shooting before I go out of town Friday. At any rate, I'll report back.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, but I did finally get a pair of corrective lenses for distance and they did make a marked improvement. The doctor said my distance vision would be acceptable for most instances, and I never really had an issue until I noticed the eye dominance problem. But, he said it wasn't as good as it could be. And, the improvement the corrective lenses make is proof of that. I would say that my experience is reason that everyone should get an annual eye exam - whether you think you need it or not.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, but I did finally get a pair of corrective lenses for distance and they did make a marked improvement. The doctor said my distance vision would be acceptable for most instances, and I never really had an issue until I noticed the eye dominance problem. But, he said it wasn't as good as it could be. And, the improvement the corrective lenses make is proof of that. I would say that my experience is reason that everyone should get an annual eye exam - whether you think you need it or not.

Thats awesome glad the corrective lenses helped you out. Guess my initial post ended up being somewhat accurate :)

Take care.

Hey Thanks for posting your experience!
I am an eye doctor in the Denver area. Just another guy to weigh in with my opinion. What you are noticing is what is called superimposition. It is an optical phenomenon that is a byproduct of having two eyes that are seeing two different images. From what you described it does sound like you are left eye dominant. When viewing the red dot through the left eye you will notice more of the housing on the red dot because your brain is paying more attention to the “dominant side.” When you switch the optic over to the right side your brain still has a preference to pay attention to the dominant eye (as why you are seeing a more evident area of the target field). The right eye is not shut off completely however, and the brain has a hard time ignoring a bright and central target aka the red dot in front of the right eye. With both eyes pointing to the same place the brain stacks the images together and that is why you see a red dot overlying a clear distance field (superimposition). The brain has an easier time ignoring the “peripheral detail” of the optic body when in front of your non-dominant side.
Long story short – not a problem with your eyes, but just a cool optical occurrence. It means you’re paying attention to what you’re looking at! Stay safe out there!

Reactions: OldSalty
Last week I bought my wife a prism red dot optic for her AR platform rifle. This is a "both eyes open" optic.

Not helpful to your problem but all optics, sights, scopes, etc. are "both eyes open".

Last edited:
Eye doctor problem.

So I have to get surgery to remove a layer under my new lens implant.

Seen doc 300$ said surgery cost all of deductable left.

Was 1000$ deductible now trying to lie and reschedule till next year when deductible is 4000 dollars .

Can you even imagine my thoughts on that ?

Cant see reticle center at all.

Livid and then some.

Waits till after hours day before funds need to ne available to inform me.

Wtf?

Probably because I told the bitch I needef to see retical.