• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do I have problem with this scope

wjm1000

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
PA
I have a S&B PMll 5-25X56. After mounting the scope I used a Bushnell bore sighter with a grid pattern. During the process I noticed that when I adjusted the side parallax the elevation would moving up and down as I rotated the parallax back and forth. It would move about two squares which would be about eight inches at one-hundred yards.

Is this normal? I never noticed my NF 8-32X56 BR scope having that much movement.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Do I have problem with this scope

Just shoot it and see what happens...The parallax on the 5-25 PMII goes all the down to 10 meters...that might have somthing to do with it....my guess is you will be good to go when you start shooting it. Good luck and report back to let us know...

Toss that bore sighter. Put up a piece of paper at 25 yards with a dot in the center and take a shot. Using the mils in the reticle as a guide to tell you how far to move, adjust the knobs until you are about 1.5 mils below the dot in the center of the paper. Take another shot to confirm. Then go to 100 and you should be within an inch.

I suggest calling S&B and talking with a tech about your problem.

As you know, when you adjust for parallax you are moving a lens longitudinally and if this is not done in a manor that keeps it perfectly aligned, POI will change. Movement is usually mostly at close range, since as the range gets closer the movement required by the lens goes up exponentially so on a scope that goes down to 10m any misalignment will really show up. I don't do airgun stuff so when I check a scope I only really care what it does between 100 and infinity and most good scopes will show little or no movment. What they do below that I don't care about.

While many things with a scope can be checked "the old fashioned way," by locking them down and observing a distant object or shooting at targets, this is one thing that's nearly impossible to check in that manor. As you adjust the parallax knob, you will naturally cause parallax error with whatever object you are observing to reference the reticle which makes observing POI change inaccurate as it is lost in the noise of parallax error. The collimation provided by the boresighter removes the parallax error and allows you to observe any possible reticle shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Toss that bore sighter. Put up a piece of paper at 25 yards with a dot in the center and take a shot. Using the mils in the reticle as a guide to tell you how far to move, adjust the knobs until you are about 1.5 mils below the dot in the center of the paper. Take another shot to confirm. Then go to 100 and you should be within an inch. </div></div>

+1 Bore sighters are only good for getting you in the ballpark and should not be used to fine tune your adjustments or to make a decision about the overall function of the scope. Only time behind the rifle and scope will really tell you how it is functioning. If you have a bolt action rifle, you can use the old method of looking down the bore and lining the center of the bore up with the dot on the target and doing the same with the scope. Again though, this is just a method to get you in the ballpark.

Jon A

Thanks,
Most of my shooting is done at longer ranges (500 to 1500 yards).

I am going to contact S&B support as you suggested and see what they have to say.

My main concern was, during a hunting situation (deer) if you catch one on the move and don't have time to adjust the parallax for the exact range that you are shooting that the error caused by parallax would cause a miss.

head2h2o

I was switching scopes from one rifle to another and before switching I noted the cross-hair position of the first scope in relation to the second on the bore sighter. I've found that I can get very close to an exact zero at 100 yards or so.