• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Do I need a custom reamer or would a SAAMI spec chamber suffice, .260 Rem.

RRW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Alberta.,Canada
I know the topic of reamers, chamber specs etc have been covered in depth but could not find any info I was looking for. My knowledge in this field is limited as I have only used issued rifles and personal rifles with factory chambers. I have a AI/AE MKII in .308 Win and want to get a barrel in .260 Rem. I live in Canada at the moment and do not have the luxury of just ordering up a barrel from places like Mlie High etc.

Again this rifle will be used in the field and some precision rifle competitions and obviously using AI mags. I will be using Lapua brass but do not want to turn necks or anything like that and do not want to be restricted to one type of projectile. My rifle in its current configuration shoots very well, sub 1/2 moa and I don't think the chamber is anything special but I may be mistaken. So after the long winded explanation could I get away with just a SAAMI spec chamber and get good accuracy provididng its a good barrel and obviously chambered by a competent smith. All this talk of various chamber specs for one caliber is confusing so I hope this makes sense. Any input would be appreciated.