• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a plate carrier/Armour.....?

silentnswift

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2012
Kentucky
I am sure it’s been asked numerous times. I did search. I have a cheap plate carrier from amazon, I bought off a buddy at work for $30. With the intentions of modifying it to use for turkey hunting. After all the recent incidents in the world I have thought about a legitimate carrier and level 4 plates. Before dropping a grand on something I may or may not need, what’s your all’s opinions? Short of a full blown shtf situation or running in it to get in shape what would be the benefits of haveing one? I live in a rural area not mobs protesting or burning down the town.

Reactions: 338dude
is there a chance you might get shot at?....get a plate carrier

if not, save your money.

personally, ide have some armor on hand.....even LVL 3.....and you can pick up lvl3 pretty cheap.

i have rifle armor.....mainly for training....not because im expecting to be maliciously shot at if im honest.

i do however keep a lvl 3A plate in my backpack.....just in case.

Last edited:
Doesn’t cost a grand for a quality setup. You can get a nice carrier for $150-200 and a known good set of ceramic plates for another $350. You could always take the plates out and use the carrier as a chest rig for hunting as well.

If you want quality plates, you better order them now. I’m on week 5 waiting on mine and probably another few more weeks yet. You have to decide for yourself whether you think it’s worth to have or not.

Me personally, I’d rather have it and not need it vs need it and not have it.

The pouches add up pretty quick unless you go shit-tier. $40 a mag carrier for example for the HSGI tacos. $550 for the carriers and plates...and the crap that goes in them and the medical shit and and and.

$1000 will always get you there pretty much, and $500 might leave you short.

I have the ferro slickster with hesco lvl 4 on order. The slickster with elastic cummerbund can hold mags, radio, and similar sized items. Including the other stuff does add to the cost. I just assumed he already has that stuff. I use a belt with taco pouches to keep the carrier as low profile as possible.

Reactions: 338dude
Chest rig won't help anyone is the SHTF , the body can't live without a brain.

The pouches add up pretty quick unless you go shit-tier. $40 a mag carrier for example for the HSGI tacos. $550 for the carriers and plates...and the crap that goes in them and the medical shit and and and.

$1000 will always get you there pretty much, and $500 might leave you short.
honestly i think HSGI tacos suck ass and are not worth the price.....they flop around more than a flaccid dong

a basic velcro flap Condor or blackhawk mag pouch is honestly the best ive found.
MA58_003F_2014__06274.1467145809.500.500.jpg

they wont win you any likes as an instagram operator.....but they straight up work.

honestly i think HSGI tacos suck ass and are not worth the price.....they flop around more than a flaccid dong

a basic velcro flap Condor or blackhawk mag pouch is honestly the best ive found.

they wont win you any likes as an instagram operator.....but they straight up work.

If you’re referring to the cloth pouches, I agree with you. The polymer ones are way better and lock into the belt very nicely without flopping around while running. I ditched the cloth pouches as soon as I tried the polymer ones the first range session.

God this is the most complicated topic ever.

3 types of people will show up:

1. The "you probably shouldn't even own guns because you will never need one under any circumstances unless you are a Delta Operator"
2. The folks who are going to help you out.
3. People who LARPED a little too fucking hard and they think you should go full Ghost Recon.

I'm going to try to be #2. And a bit of #1.

1. Until you get your shit TOGETHER a plate carrier don't mean shit. And by together I mean no more than 30 lbs overweight and able to run a mile. If you can't, then you won't have the fitness to rock a carrier all that well.
2. If you are on a budget, get a Mayflower chest rig or a war belt instead of a plate carrier and shit-tier plates.
3. I strongly prefer carriers that use the first spear type system, such as...well...first spear. And now Grey Ghost Gear.
4. Budget $1000 for the whole setup (pouches, shit to go in them, plates that don't suck dick) or see #2.
5. Your other shit that need to be TOGETHER is your rifle and pistol. If you don't have a GOOD carbine, good optic, a light, sling, mags etc etc etc. then spend $0 on this stuff.
6. If you have to choose between plates and a Photons 4G PVS-14 and helmet setup for it and a cheap IR laser like the TNVC/Steiner...get the NV stuff.
I think I have the carbine/pistol covered. No nods or helmet. Do have a cheap gen 1 or 2 Nv scope. In decent shape, not super fitness freak but more of grew on the farm busting ass everyday in shape.

Already have a few first aid kits set up, one in each vehicle, one in the house and one in my backpack.

Was looking at a banshee pc and rifle plates. They were still in stock last night when I checked them out. Liked the Crye pc also.

Reactions: Winkmeister

I do have a set of these and a triple stacker with open top. I like the open top ones but haven’t actually run to fully have an opinion. No pistol mag pouches yet. A couple triad convertible acis mag pouches.

I do have a set of these and a triple stacker with open top. I like the open top ones but haven’t actually run to fully have an opinion. No pistol mag pouches yet. A couple triad convertible acis mag pouches.
i like closed top, but its personal preference....i run bullets up, and i know its going to keep my ammo clean should i go prone.

i dont run pistol mags on my carrier.....honestly you really shouldnt need more than 1 pistol reload, i keep it on my gun belt.

on my carrier, i have a triple rifle mag carrier, admin pouch, TQ, and hydration carrier......add a radio pouch if you run comms.

on my belt i keep a pistol reload, rifle reload, dump pouch, trauma kit, and a pistol.

the longer i run my kit, the more i take off it.

As mentioned previously, unless you are running shoot houses, etc there’s a lot of stuff you should probably square away before this.

if you’ve got all the basics covered and have the funds then I put this in the category of it’s better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it.

I just typed up a response, then deleted the whole thing after realizing I am not in the Bear Pit and I was way off topic.

A plate carrier and plates are useful, don't prioritize them above the rest of your gear and training (unless you expect to be in high threat areas with frequent risk tonlife and limb, in which case start looking at good ballistic helmets too.). And the 12-20 lbs you will be adding to your torso is that much less you can put in your pack.

I haven’t seen anything about your identified requirement(s) for a plate carrier and plates aside from an insurance policy for your mental health. For me personally, I have a low-vis soft armor vest I used to use for work that I plan to wear if things get that bad. I’m planning on getting away from people to link up with some friends in a rural setting where, as @silentnswift stated, there aren’t a bunch of people.

Identify your requirements, do your research, then buy what you need. Don’t buy cheap and now just because the good idea fairy bit your ear.

nope you don't need anything except duct tape and bailing twine and bubble gum they can hold anything just try not to run and jump so much lol

I haven’t seen anything about your identified requirement(s) for a plate carrier and plates aside from an insurance policy for your mental health. For me personally, I have a low-vis soft armor vest I used to use for work that I plan to wear if things get that bad. I’m planning on getting away from people to link up with some friends in a rural setting where, as @silentnswift stated, there aren’t a bunch of people.

Identify your requirements, do your research, then buy what you need. Don’t buy cheap and now just because the good idea fairy bit your ear.
I have no real requirements outside of insurance etc. the main reason I’m hesitant to purchase. If shtf I’m sure it would be a solid investment but if not, it’s a bunch Of money tied up in something unused.

I have no real requirements outside of insurance etc. the main reason I’m hesitant to purchase. If shtf I’m sure it would be a solid investment but if not, it’s a bunch Of money tied up in something unused.
I have always leaned towards the idea that most of my preps will end up being money tied up in something unused....
But the closer we get to this next election, and after watching the leftists riot, burn, loot and create havoc, the more I think some added insurance is a good idea.

The leftists are bound to escalate the violence because their “Marxist Revolution” will not happen without it.

I oppose their efforts, and everyone who does so may require “insurance.”

It'd be a solid investment if you need it. If you're debating whether you should buy something it's not a "need" but a "nice to have." If it doesn't fit into whatever your plan is it's not a need. Spend the money elsewhere. Buy your essentials, whatever they may be, first.

If you have to ask that question here then you already know the answer. Best get your stuff gathered up while there is still, somewhat, of a supply left.

Hobo

Exactly - if you don't already have a flat bill hat, Addidas, and a vape pen to get out of dodge you are doing it wrong.

Also, if you have to handle a gun on your way out of Portland, make sure you look like you have NO idea how the thing works. And say things like "Yeah man! Those Mexicans in that van over on third are just handing out guns! And I was like, WTF! THESE are the same dudes I buy my coke from!"
Adidas? There's only one right way to wear Adidas and have guns.

1595255560473.png

HEELS DOWN, CYKA!

My 11yo wears shit like that (and exactly that), and I call him "The Russian Mobster" when he does.
I remember seeing some gopnik kids when I was in Russia but I'm pretty sure they didn't have AKs with them. Just vodka.

• Haha
Reactions: BlastersAreCool
The answer is yes...you always need a legit plate carrier with armor.
Add a couple rifle and pistol tacos, IFAK, fixed blade knife, and some sweet morale patches, good to go.
When you level up, pick up a drop leg holster for the pistol you plan on carrying, and boom, instant street cred with tactical capability.

Never in my life have I thought, damn wish I didn’t buy that tactical gear instead of some $200 designer jeans from Nordstrom’s. Just saying.

I subscribe to the condom theory when it comes to anything firearm or survival related;
Much rather have and not need, then need and not have.
Truly words to live by.

SKD pig carrier, ceramic plates, HSGI tacos are the standard all others are judged by.

i dont recommend Steel often.....but if you want something to sit in a closet "just in case".....steel plates are great for that.

their main downside is weight.....if you arent going to be wearing a plate carrier regularly for 8-10 hrs a day....thats really not an issue.

you can get some lvl3+ steel plates, spall guard, and a decent carrier for a few hundred bucks.

the plates dont expire, and you arent out a ton of money.

personally i think you should buy the best you can afford, and train regularly with them......but thats really a personally decision.

and if you ever decide to upgrade plates.....you can use the steel ones for targets.

The answer is yes...you always need a legit plate carrier with armor.
Add a couple rifle and pistol tacos, IFAK, fixed blade knife, and some sweet morale patches, good to go.
When you level up, pick up a drop leg holster for the pistol you plan on carrying, and boom, instant street cred with tactical capability.

Never in my life have I thought, damn wish I didn’t buy that tactical gear instead of some $200 designer jeans from Nordstrom’s. Just saying.

I subscribe to the condom theory when it comes to anything firearm or survival related;
Much rather have and not need, then need and not have.
Truly words to live by.

SKD pig carrier, ceramic plates, HSGI tacos are the standard all others are judged by.
I have almost everything except the carrier and plates. Guess I might as well go ahead and pull the trigger...

i dont recommend Steel often.....but if you want something to sit in a closet "just in case".....steel plates are great for that.

their main downside is weight.....if you arent going to be wearing a plate carrier regularly for 8-10 hrs a day....thats really not an issue.

you can get some lvl3+ steel plates, spall guard, and a decent carrier for a few hundred bucks.

personally i think you should buy the best you can afford, and train regularly with them......but thats really a personally decision.

and if you ever decide to upgrade plates.....you can use the steel ones for targets.
I have heard numerous warnings about the steel plates sending shrapnel into thighs, neck even with spall coating? Are ceramic plates the same with no expiration. I assume the 5 year shelf life is a liability deal from the mfg?

I have heard numerous warnings about the steel plates sending shrapnel into thighs, neck even with spall coating? Are ceramic plates the same with no expiration. I assume the 5 year shelf life is a liability deal from the mfg?
there are compromises with everything, with a built up bed liner layer, and a spall sleeve, they are actually pretty decent at reducing spalling

personally i think even an expired ceramic plate will stop a bullet...but do you really want to take that chance?

With ceramics it's my understanding that if you grab the edges apply twisting pressure to the edges and they don't crackle and crunch at all they are still good regardless of date. I'm told in the army when you receive plates from supply you're supposed to do that anyway to make sure that they are still good prior to use.

As far as needing plates I have them, but I use to live in what we called the Beverly Hills of the ghetto, meaning we could hear the shooting, but it usually stayed south of my home. Even with that I still got them last after other gear items. Living in BFE now I don't realy need them, but still have them. Every month I maybe wear them twice a year just get use with them.

Steel plates are uncomfortable as hell. I borrowed a set for a local tactical games competition. Even with a “single curve” plate, it felt like I stuffed a piece of plywood into my carrier. If you’re going to buy armor, do it right. If you have to wear heavy stuff, it might as well be as comfortable as possible.

before this pockyclips started up i figgered a plate carrier was for my paranoia. but now im mad i didnt get a lvel 4 diaper too.

We had 2 idiots testing a lvl 3A plate with a .223. One dead, one in jail. Don't wear them while using as targets.

• Wow
God I loved my SSG3000. I still wonder where hollywood came up with a credible sniper rifle in the late 90s.
Behind Enemy Lines was filmed in Slovakia; the production used lots of locally-sourced weapons (the SSG 3000 is, or was, in use with the Slovak Police Útvar Osobitného Určenia, or Special Assignments Unit).

I'd have a REAL hard time justifying the relevance of the Steyr today, 30 years later... But, some people are more into collectibles than I am. Frankly, ever since that catastrophic boating accident I was involved in, I don't have a big desire to own a bunch of guns again.

• Haha
This dude is shooting the Sauer 200STR which is the same rifle in a laminate stock.
Oh. Man..

I want to see the targets.....

1. Until you get your shit TOGETHER a plate carrier don't mean shit. And by together I mean no more than 30 lbs overweight and able to run a mile. If you can't, then you won't have the fitness to rock a carrier all that well.

If you are 30 lbs overweight, or 20 or whatever, then lose the fucking weight and buy yourself something nice, maybe even a plate carrier, as a reward for not being fat. If you are thinking of getting a plate carrier because you don't want to die, not being fat is going to go a long way toward that, plate carrier or no.

medically, terminal performance of most cartridges likely to hit you says...the thinner your body cavities, the less energy transfer and tissue disruption will be done to you....equals dont be fat and get shot.

In my opinion, with a little experience too.
When you need a plate carrier, you won't have it most likely...
Many want to dress up to look tactical without proper knowledge of tactics...
It has it's place for sure, but I'd bet most will just collect dust.
To me, it is more for preparing for bad things that could theoretically happen.
So the choice is yours, do you think you need one where you live?

trouble with a platecarrier is that you wont want the weight when you dont need it and if you do need it its hard to fit your entire self behind those little plates.
my opinion is that armor isnt really to keep the wearer alive so much as it is to potentially allow the wearer to stay in a fight longer.

I got a plate carrier just to carry extra crap. Water, ammo, IFAK, TQ, comms, gutting kit, bags, gloves, seasoning, bits and bobs. I don't operate but I've shot some stuff in the face while using it.