• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need a small base die?

metal2meat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Farmington, NM
I could use some members thoughts on something.

I had a Rem. 700 varmint .223 rebarreled and chambered to a .223 Ackley. I don't have the reamer specs unfortunately. I full length sized some of the once fired brass from the old .223 chamber. The full length sizer die was set till the die touched the shell holder and I still gave it an 1/8 turn more.

After the brass was sized I tried it in the .223AI chamber and could not close the bolt. New brass feeds somewhat tight as the shoulder is somewhat "crush" fit before fireforming.

This has led me to believe that the once fired brass from the old chamber had expanded in the body or near the case head and maybe my redding full length sizing die didn't "squeeze" it enough to fit in the .223AI chamber?

Is a small base die designed to full length size brass more than a standard type S die?

I appreciate your advice, thoughts, and comments.

Re: Do I need a small base die?

New brass is tight? You need to ask your smith what the headspace is set up as. Sounds like zero headspace if factory brass is a crush fit.New brass should not be tight in your chamber unless the brass is out of spec.

The smith told me new brass would have a slight "tight" feeling. I've also read that a properly done .223 AI chamber will have a .002-.003 crush/push in the shoulder area. It's been the same with multiple batches of new Winchester, LC, and Lapua brass.

I only ran into this problem with once fired brass from a different chamber.

You might measure your case close to the base or head. Measure a new case the same, then find out what the dimensions are on the reamer used.
Your fired case may have come from a oversized chamber, and will create a ton of issues. On a Ack improved case there should be no tightness on the shoulder, you're blowing it forward.
A small base die might fix this, may not.

Thanks Milo. I measured a brand new case ano one of my problem cases (already ran through a full length sizer die) and the 1x case is .003 wider than the new. I measured both case heads, about where you'd expect head separation. I'm going to contact the smith to see if I can get the specs of the reamer he used.

I'm going to ask him about the crush fit too. Thanks

(I have been corrected by my friend who is a smith)

You shouldn't be forming brass for a wildcat from once fired brass. There is nothing wrong with it but sometimes it makes our head hurt...like you are experiencing now. If you are gonna use the once fired brass then anneal them first, and your life, in this instance under these conditions, will be a bit easier. Besides that you will have better brass in the end.

Armorpl8chkn, I think you hit it on the head. And yes, sometimes reloading makes my head hurt!

I gave a bro my take off barrel, maybe I ought to just give him the brass.

We'll see. As tight as things are with brass right now I still think I should be able to make it work. I might be trying too hard for something that's not going to leave me with not so good brass. LOL. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: metal2meat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armorpl8chkn, I think you hit it on the head. And yes, sometimes reloading makes my head hurt!

I gave a bro my take off barrel, maybe I ought to just give him the brass.

We'll see. As tight as things are with brass right now I still think I should be able to make it work. I might be trying too hard for something that's not going to leave me with not so good brass. LOL. Thanks! </div></div>

Actually brother in a better world and situation I would probly give you shit for not getting new brass...BUT...things right now are different. I completely understand your desire to make this work and condone it in this instance. Don't give any brass away. Try annealing, if it doesn't work, maybe make some Blackout brass. No Blackout? TRade it for something you can use.
And yes a small base die may help but I can't make a guarantee. Its probable that it would help.