• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need it, Taco Tuesday Drinking Game

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

So everyone has been indoctrinated into the idea you need a level to succeed. Especially when shooting inside a 1000 yards on relatively flat surfaces, especially resting the rifle on a sand bag where gravity actually gives you a hand.

So we were playing around at the range yesterday, we were talking wind, and angles, etc, so I decided to purposely Cant my rifle and film it.

I have seen other videos of CANT and how necessary it is, and sure if you aim in the exact same place as not canting the rifle you can miss, especially If you need to manage wind. But if you know the rifle is canted and you slide the aiming point slightly, especially when wind is a factor, the results should be the same, you hit the plate.

I am not saying yes, can't the rifle, I am saying the idea you NEED A LEVEL is a lie, and I personally believe people are being lead like a horse with them. Everyone has to "Glance" at the level and that action is moving people to "lean" left for lack of a better word.

I want to give a note on the wind, as we'll have a video showing, the constant changes and how people are more inclined to reduce the complex wind problems to a single solution yet they will hyper focus on their levels because they are product one can buy.

In my mind it's an idiot light, telling me I have problem but doing nothing to fix it.

Water Cooler Arguments start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

I view a (properly installed) level as a sanity check, and nothing more. Once I learned how to actually set my rifle up the right way, I found that 99% of the time when I looked at the level, it was exactly where it was supposed to be. The only time it's really been of use is when shooting from some really fucked up position/prop where squaring up on the rifle wasn't happening, and my eyeball and ear were not agreeing with each other.

I can see your tombstone already
    F19301ED-87AD-4207-AFBA-C4280B1495CD.jpeg

I have a level but rarely check it. Ill give it a glance if I'm shooting a long distance or I'm on really sloped firing positions and I can tell without even looking that I'm canted.

For the most part, I just shoot and trust my own level system.

My main rifle has a level in the mount. I’ve never looked at it while shooting.

I figure if you need a level then your a little bitch but I still shoot a 308 so what the fuck do I know.

but notice frank didn't tilt it the other way! :whistle:

But if you have a problem can a level help correct it ? That is question

Rule of thumb 2-1/2 degrees of cant gives you a 1/2 of a tenth of mil every 100, cant left then you push right. People should practice shooting cant not avoid it.

I figure if you need a level then your a little bitch but I still shoot a 308 so what the fuck do I know.
    Probably not very much.

That TH and his bubble level just stirs this place up something fierce.

We did this with our Mk-18s on one of my deployments. Practicing urban shooting, such as over a barricade and trying to keep a low profile. We had our riles turned flat 90° so that only our eyes up was exposed.

Built my first building (a small horse barn) without a level. (I’m proud to say that that crooked mess was finally torn down).

Built my last building (a bike shop) with two levels and did not do anything without leveling it twice and measuring it three times.

I have no recognizable data of whether my point of aim is shifting if I cant the rifle, but the darn thing is intoxicating. And soon enough, if it does not look right in the scope, check the level, finding out, it isn’t right. I’ll bet Mr. Frank has looked at so many targets lined up with crosshairs, that he intuitively gets it level, the first time and every time.