• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need my Acculab?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Just got a chargemaster. Though Im pretty happy with the apparent accuracy of my Chargemaster, Ive heard that many here double check their loads. Would a beam scale be good enough? The reason I ask, is that Im thinking of selling my acculab. Keep or sell?

Re: Do I need my Acculab?

PM me with a price if you do
wink.gif

I don't need one either, but have never played with the Acculab and would like to.

I've weighed literally thousands of rounds going from the Chargemaster to the AccuLab. Not so much for 'second-checking', but using the Chargemaster to get 'close' and the AccuLab to get 'right on'.

I think I've seen 2, maybe 3 times that I took a charge from the Chargemaster, put it on the Acculab, and it was not +/- 0.10 of what the Chargemaster displayed i.e. if it was set for '46.8'gr, it is 46.70-46.90gr the vast, vast majority of the time. The times I've ran chrono tests on the same load, one weighed out to '46.8' on the chargemaster and the other '46.80' on the Acculab... there wasn't any appreciable difference in the ES/SD. I'm about to the point where I feel (haven't sat down and 'proved it' in a scientific manner) that if I really have to weigh out that fine (+/-0.02gr or less)... maybe I should spend some time tuning the load a bit more and fiddle-fart around w/ the milligram scale less
wink.gif

I will say that I am less than impressed w/ the stability of my Acculab scale. When its on, it's awesome. When it gets a wild hair up its a$$... it's came dangerously close to being reduced to a handful of small pieces. I may get a 'real' milligram scale again down the road... but it'll be one that wasn't built to a mass market price point for reloaders.

I finally decided I throw more shots off target than my ES/SD does at matches......

I've gone to throwing charges and spot-weighing. The benchrest crow loads at matches and I don't think even they use $500 digital scales on a protected ciruit in a draft-free room (like some of us do).

Decent brass prep, consistent ogive length and a good load will do plenty for "precision rifle" work.

Not entirely true... look around for a 600-1k BR shooter, or a top-level F-Class shooter, who doesn't weigh charges.

You may be looking for a while. There are probably a couple out there, somewhere
smile.gif

I'm just saying that I think there is a point of diminishing returns, as with all things - like you said, human error can ruin hours spent in the reloading room and at the range testing loads. Maybe if a load is really tuned well with the right powder and primer, it could tolerate being thrown. It's an interesting thought. With a Chargemaster spitting out powder charges to the tune of 20-30 seconds for +/- 0.1gr, I'm not sure I'm *too* interested in finding out
wink.gif

Maybe I exaggerated a bit, you're right......
But you are also right about the diminishing returns. My Redding tosser has been within .1gr every toss I've checked once I got a repeatable throw trained into my method, so after checking every one for hundreds I had to ask myself, "Is it worth the time and effort?"

Now I need to get a scale for the chargemaster dispenser I got on the PIF thread and I'll be good to go!!

Im in the same mindset. My Acculab is going up on the for sale section. JasonK has dibs.