• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I NEED these things for my reloading???

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I have a custom chambered 7mag, it uses the shoulder not belt to chamber off. Since its not a factory set up I was looking at a couple of things in the Sinclair catalog. One is their <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">bullet seating depth tool</span></span> and the other is their <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">chamber length gauge</span>. </span>Are these two tools essential to my reloading of this gun? Just trying to get everything together before I load my first rounds.

Thanks

Re: Do I NEED these things for my reloading???

Personally I don't use them, my only custom chamber is currently a 30-06 that normally headspaces from the shoulder.

If you don't mind some trial and error and can deal with +/- 0.002 tolerances on the distance from lands to bearing surface I don't see a need to buy these things, especially right away.

No.

The "chamber length" tool is a simple little device to seat in a case and chamber it, then you remove and measure the actual length of your chamber to the throat/leade. It's only helpful IF you want to let your cases grow past "normal" book max lengths before trimming.

The various "seating tools" make it a bit easier to find the max OAL length you can seat each bullet style to touch the lands. You can do that other ways and any one of tham is about as good as the others, some methods are just a little easier to do.

I have never attempted to reload for any belted cartridge by sizing to the belt, always the shoulder.

Just so you "know", how about a Wilson belted magnum case gage? They are adjustable. With a little trial and error, you can find out where to set yor sizing die.

You don't really need the items you mentioned. But I would suggest getting the overall length tool. I use the hornady lock and load tool with with great results. The only issue I have with the Hornady tool is that they may not have a case for your specific round.

I have the guys at Rumble Wepnz make custom cases for my rifles if Hornady does not make what I need.