• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

do I need to buy a new press?

aggiesig

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
Seguin, TX
www.sara-tx.org
I currently load lots of pistol rounds on a Dillon 550,

I am looking to start loading precision .260 remington, and I am wondering will I be able to do that on my Dillon? I was planning on getting a new toolhead and running it in this fashion:

station 1: Forster full length bench rest sizer (decap and prime)
station 2: I was planning on removing the powder die/measure and manually measuring out and loading the charges with a RCBS funnel.
Station3: forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die
Station 4: (Maybe a lee factory frimp die)

I was planning on running this like a very slow manual charging progressive, but I could easily run it like a turret press as well (run all rounds through station 1, then do brass prep/prime, then charge them, then run them through station 3, etc.)

My original thought was purchasing a Redding T-7 for this process, I've heard nothing but awesome reviews, and it looks like a setup from a singlestage. But why drop the extra 250 bucks, and sacrifice more space on my workbench (not alot to begin with) for something I can do well with the press I have already?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated

Re: do I need to buy a new press?

as far as dies, you're going to need a neck sizing die. Lee is the cheapest and has worked great for me and many others. you may not have to full length size but every 4-5 firings.

Ideally you want a single stage press to load rifle ammo, but I used my Loadmaster as a single stage for a while until I got a rockchucker to dedicate to rifle. It is possible to load fine rifle ammo on a progressive, but it is much easier, less tedious, and much less expensive (generally) on a single stage.

If you are set on a multi-station press, get a turret press instead of a progressive. Still has stations for 4-5 dies, you just index them yourself, essentially 5 single stage presses in one.

Since you already own the Dillon, there is no reason to buy another press at this time.

If you know how to adjust your dies you do not need a neck sizing die.

Saying you want to do "precision" loading on your Dillon really doesn't tell us much. Part of your answer lies in what rifle you're using, the accuracy are you obtaining now and what are you planning to shoot with your more precise stuff - military competion, club or national matches, short range BR, long range BR, or....?

It's a little easier to load slightly more precise ammo on a single stage than a progressive or turret but that's more a factor of the loaders skill than any automatic benefit to any press type. Technique, dies and components mean a LOT more than the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently load lots of pistol rounds on a Dillon 550,

I am looking to start loading precision .260 remington, and I am wondering will I be able to do that on my Dillon? I was planning on getting a new toolhead and running it in this fashion:

station 1: Forster full length bench rest sizer (decap and prime)
station 2: I was planning on removing the powder die/measure and manually measuring out and loading the charges with a RCBS funnel.
Station3: forster Ultra Micrometer Seating die
Station 4: (Maybe a lee factory frimp die)

I was planning on running this like a very slow manual charging progressive, but I could easily run it like a turret press as well (run all rounds through station 1, then do brass prep/prime, then charge them, then run them through station 3, etc.)

My original thought was purchasing a Redding T-7 for this process, I've heard nothing but awesome reviews, and it looks like a setup from a singlestage. But why drop the extra 250 bucks, and sacrifice more space on my workbench (not alot to begin with) for something I can do well with the press I have already?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated </div></div>

I use the same set up as you indicated when loading precision loads for my TRG 22 and my Colt 6721. Only diference no Lee Crimp Die and use an RCBS Charge Master for the powder. No need for another press IMO. I use the Dillion 55B for mass reloading as is.

Most use single stage press for precision rifle, primarily because we weigh each powder charge (always come up from below or down from above on the scale). Try and get to within .1 grain. Also, we don't deprime and then prime on the press, as we clean out our primer pockets inbetween those stages. From the data I have seen, powder throwers are within .4 grains extreme spread. You have to weigh, IMHO.

The Dillon 550 can be used as a single stage press.

You may want to buy a single stage press just so you don't have to change the setup on your Dillon. That takes a while. Lee Classic Cast (get the Breechlock) is only $100 and it will do just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saying you want to do "precision" loading on your Dillon really doesn't tell us much. Part of your answer lies in what rifle you're using, the accuracy are you obtaining now and what are you planning to shoot with your more precise stuff - military competion, club or national matches, short range BR, long range BR, or....?

It's a little easier to load slightly more precise ammo on a single stage than a progressive or turret but that's more a factor of the loaders skill than any automatic benefit to any press type. Technique, dies and components mean a LOT more than the press. </div></div>

Let me try to quantify what I'm trying to do here:

It's going to be a custom built rifle in 260 built on a Obermeyer blank, Stiller TAC 30 Action, AICS stock.

I'll be honest and say that I don't have a specific competitive shooting venue in mind for this gun. I've been shooting for 10 years or so in different venues (Mostly USPSA) and would like to explore precision shooting. I like the 6.5 calibers alot (hunted with a 6.5x55 for a few years) which has me set on the .260 (for AICS mag feeding) I have several 300 yard ranges in my area and I'm just a couple hours drive from ranges that extend to 1K plus, hopefully my work schedule will one day lighten up enough to utilize these on a consistant basis. I think I've found some of the limitations of my current LTR with a USO ST-10 (3/4 MOA with FGMM with moments of genius that shrink it down to about half that )and instead of retrofitting it with a new barrel/scope, I'm deciding to cash in on it and start over again from the stock up (Keeping my AICS). My shooting style is an imitation of "tactical" straight on the rifle, prone, with a front bipod and rear bag. I don't claim to be any kind of fabulous, just a normal guy who likes to shoot alot, and likes to shoot in many different disciplines. 99% of this rifles life will punching paper and steel, maybe an antelope hunt but I'm sure this rifle is going to be too heavy for that. I like to challenge myself and this gun is the next stage in that evolution. Will I get the time to participate in a comp at rifles only? I hope so, will I ever take an advanced precision rifle course, I plan to. But I don't currently have a date booked.

To clear up the question: <span style="text-decoration: underline">I am planning on weighing each charge individually regardless of what press I use </span> My dillon typicaly has a =/- .1 grain per charge when loading Win 231 into my .40 S&W, I figure thats a little too much variation for precision rifle loads.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">My #1 question is:</span></span> Does the 550B had too much play in the ram or the toolhead or other mechanical deficiency that would make it a bad choice for precision reloading. I'm perfectly fine with running it as a single stage, I just wanted to make sure that it can fit that bill. If I can save money great, if it will significantly degrade the consistency of my reloads, then I'll go a different route.

thank you for your help and opinions on this, and I'm sorry if this post was long winded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I use the same set up as you indicated when loading precision loads for my TRG 22 and my Colt 6721. Only diference no Lee Crimp Die and use an RCBS Charge Master for the powder. No need for another press IMO. I use the Dillion 55B for mass reloading as is. </div></div>

Thank you, I'll look into the Charge master. The powder measure on my dillon has about a 2.5% variation in my 4.4 grain IPSC loads. It's not bad on a low pressure pistol round pushing a lead bullet, it has lots of forgiveness there. But I'm weary of that much variation in a top end load trying to push a 139gr scenar or other 140 class bullet with an accurate load over 2700. (My goal for this rifle). With 44-46 grains of powder that same 2.5% variation (about a grain) can be disastrous. thats why I'm set on manually measuring and charging each load. not to mention that I like to play with the powder trickler...
wink.gif

your 550 will be fine to load match ammo with, I do the same thing with great results. Buy the best dies for the caliber and weight every charge (i use the RCBS chargemaster)and you can easily put together 1/2 min or better ammo, don't let the "single stage only" guys fool you, they are not wrong but don't know better.
hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your 550 will be fine to load match ammo with, I do the same thing with great results. Buy the best dies for the caliber and weight every charge (i use the RCBS chargemaster)and you can easily put together 1/2 min or better ammo, don't let the "single stage only" guys fool you, they are not wrong but don't know better.
hope this helps. </div></div>

+1

Buy the dies you intend to make your load with. Try them in your press. If your ammo meets your expectation all you bought was dies. If not you already have your dies.

I run my 550 close to what you are saying. However I drop powder on station 2. Pull the case out dump it into scale. Dillon measures are good with ball powders. Then adjust charge if needed. I also start with trimmed cleaned cases so there is no lube for powder to stick to. I have loaded very good ammo this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I use the same set up as you indicated when loading precision loads for my TRG 22 and my Colt 6721. Only diference no Lee Crimp Die and use an RCBS Charge Master for the powder. No need for another press IMO. I use the Dillion 55B for mass reloading as is. </div></div>

Thank you, I'll look into the Charge master. The powder measure on my dillon has about a 2.5% variation in my 4.4 grain IPSC loads. It's not bad on a low pressure pistol round pushing a lead bullet, it has lots of forgiveness there. But I'm weary of that much variation in a top end load trying to push a 139gr scenar or other 140 class bullet with an accurate load over 2700. (My goal for this rifle). With 44-46 grains of powder that same 2.5% variation (about a grain) can be disastrous. thats why I'm set on manually measuring and charging each load. not to mention that I like to play with the powder trickler...
wink.gif

</div></div>My situation is similar to yours. I'm loading 308 on a 550 and have two issues: I don't get consistent headspace off the sizing die. I measure every case and get .001 to .006 without changing anything. That's using either the base Redding die or a Lee die. Second is the spillage of powder at station 2. I charge a case, dump it into the scale pan, trickle it to the exact charge, charge the case and move on. the powder goes everywhere and makes a big mess. I'm not convinced a single stage will produce more accurate ammo, but for a one time charge of $100 and change, why not try it?