• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I need to get a new bolt for each barrel? (beginner question)

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Recently purchased my first AR-15. With you guys’ advice I finally bit the bullet and got an LMT-CQB. If I buy another barrel for it is it best to get a bolt to go with the barrel? I heard with an AR-15 the barrel and bolt mate together?

Confirm your chamber headspace is within spec using your existing bolt and any new barrel with a go/no-go gauge set for 5.56 NATO (assuming that’s the chamber for your new barrel). If it closes completely on the ‘go’ gauge and not on the ‘no-go’ gauge you should be fine to run your existing bolt.

This is the first thing I do when I receive a new barrel for any of my ARs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
You can but it’s not necessary.

I’ve read there are some accuracy benefits by using a new bolt with a new barrel. As long as everything you are using is from quality manufacturers it should be fine.

Anytime I swap things I do check everything with a gauge before shooting it though just to be safe.

Check headspace. Normally I use one bolt per barrel but on the LMTs since they all headspace the same I make exceptions.

For my LMTs each barrel as it's own bolt-just so they wear in same way together. I actually do that with all my ARs now that I think about it.

good choice on the lmt. my first ar, and still my favorite. Ive put 20k rounds plus through my original mrp. I also have a 6.8 barrel and use it for hunting whitetail.

After you already have the barrel and BCG, you can put together an upp for less than $200. Then you have an upper that you know is headspaced and ready to slap on a lower.er

@richthe1 if I read your post in the other thread correctly you have a 5.56 and a 224V on the way? If thats the case you need a bolt for each, they use different bolts.